NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Thanks, found it now, post #115 of this thread.

cunparis View Post
I did extensive backtesting and posted my results including the optimizations and the equity curves in this thread. You may want to read over my previous posts.

I am not a fan of backtesting because I use a lot of discretion. But this is a really simple setup so I thought backtesting would give me more confidence to trade it. I'm sure results can be improved with discretion but I simply don't have the time to invest right now.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Fat Tails View Post
An inside bar on low volume just above strong support is not bearish at all. Of course it easier to see this with hindsight than in real-time. I just want to come back to the idea of Tony Crabel here, who introduced the concept of a breakout preference, which means that you only take the breakout in a defined direction.

Where can I learn more about Crabel's thoughts on breakouts and breakout preference?

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Fat Tails View Post
The problem with the setup is that the inside bar occured just above extremely strong cross-support on declining volume. Declining volume means a low probability that the countertrend continues and breaches the support line.

Most inside bars happen on decreasing volume because they are a sign of market indecision, so I'm not sure filtering out low volume IBs will do any good. Just looking at my charts every IB in July had less volume than its previous bars.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

If you take absolute volume, you are certainly right.

Some inside bars have higher volume per range than the preceding expansion bar. These are churn bars. The pattern expansion bar + churn bar can be predictive of a reversal, if other conditions are met, such as below/above support/resistance and overbought/oversold conditions.

shodson View Post
Most inside bars happen on decreasing volume because they are a sign of market indecision, so I'm not sure filtering out low volume IBs will do any good. Just looking at my charts every IB in July had less volume than its previous bars.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

Fat Tails View Post
If you take absolute volume, you are certainly right.

Some inside bars have higher volume per range than the preceding expansion bar. These are churn bars. The pattern expansion bar + churn bar can be predictive of a reversal, if other conditions are met, such as below/above support/resistance and overbought/oversold conditions.

Reversal depends on your timeframe.

If price goes up then drops 20 ticks and makes IB then a reversal could be down (to reverse the big move up) or up to reverse the 20 tick drop.

I bracket it because price is in a trading range and I don't know which way it will go. I think continuation is as likely as reversal.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

futurestrader1 
New York City, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, CL, 6E
Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 42

Wow, that looks great and also a good thing to know that the ES actually looks much safer an instrument to trade this.

cunparis 
Paris, France

futurestrader1 View Post
Wow, that looks great and also a good thing to know that the ES actually looks much safer an instrument to trade this.

If you're refering to my post with the profit factor, the trades for ES are NOT inside bar.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

This thead is getting a bit cumbersone. You will find information on Tony Crabel in post #409. His book is not easily available, unless you look for illegal copies. He has not published again, but is running a hedge fond with more than USD 1 billion under management. I guess that some of his findings were real. The book is a bit outdated, but a real classic, comparable to Welles Wilder's "New Concepts in Technical Analysis" from 1978.

shodson View Post
Where can I learn more about Crabel's thoughts on breakouts and breakout preference?

cunparis 
Paris, France

Fat Tails View Post
This thead is getting a bit cumbersone. You will find information on Tony Crabel in post #409. His book is not easily available, unless you look for illegal copies. He has not published again, but is running a hedge fond with more than USD 1 billion under management. I guess that some of his findings were real. The book is a bit outdated, but a real classic, comparable to Welles Wilder's "New Concepts in Technical Analysis" from 1978.

The Crabel book is a great book. I don't consider obtaining a copy of something illegal if the something is no longer available for purchase. Neither Crabel nor the publisher will make or lose any money from the PDF copies of his book. If fact the only ones who could lose money would be the speculators who paid $$$ for the book hoping for a greater fool.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Hi cunparis,

if you read between the lines - my statement included the information that

- copies are available
- that these copies are illegal copies
- that Toby Crabel is somewhat richer than we are

I don't make recommendations, how to use this info. I have personally spent more money on good books than on my PC and my trading software, so I do not have a bad conscience to disseminate some ideas.

cunparis View Post
The Crabel book is a great book. I don't consider obtaining a copy of something illegal if the something is no longer available for purchase. Neither Crabel nor the publisher will make or lose any money from the PDF copies of his book. If fact the only ones who could lose money would be the speculators who paid $$$ for the book hoping for a greater fool.

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts