NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

Fat Tails View Post
I traded an inside bar today, however I did not take the breakout, but faded it. Here are the details.

On the YM 5 min chart the trend of the market was up, when an inside bar occured at 8:50 PM CET (2:50 PM ET). The inside bar also was a narrow range 7 bar, which means that it had the lowest range of the last seven bars.

There were three reasons, why I did not follow the bears to trade the breakout but faded it.

Trendline

The market was still in an uptrend, as the trendline had not been broken.

Support/Resistance

The inside bar was just sitting on a fibonacci confluence line. This line had already been confirmed earlier during the day, as it also became the low of the opening range (initial balance 1 hour). So the inside bar was clearly above support.

Climax and Churn Volume

The better volume indicator showed a climax bar (light blue) followed by a churn bar(yellow). This is exhaustion volume followed by stopping volume and often leads to a reversal. Note: This rule applies on balancing dayss only, not on trending days!

Summary

The trend on the chart was up. Prices retraced to a strong support line. When approaching the support line, a climax bar formed followed by a churn bar, which was an inside bar. It was very likely that the bearish breakout would fail and trap some bears. The pattern was also a bullish Harami, but I am not using those candlestick patterns.

So I entered when prices moved back to the fibonacci line. The trade was also confirmed by my 15 min chart. First half of the position exited at the floor pivot S1. Second half stopped out when price retraced back to floor pivot S1 should have given more wiggle room.

The inside bar is similar to John Carter's squeeze. You will likely see a breakout if you expect volatility to increase, but you have to use additional tools to determine the likely direction of that breakout.

Hey Fat Tails,

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I was wondering how you would employ these guidelines to a 15 minute chart of CL?

Thanks, Jeff

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Hi Jeff,

there are some differences. The better volume indicator cannot be applied to a 15 min chart during the first 4 hours of the RTH session, so it is pretty useless.

The CL 08-10 15 min chart shows two inside bars. Both occured outside the Keltner Channels (33,3), so you may assume that the market is overextended to the downside and that the bears are already tired. This would be a potential long setup in any case. I have learned this from the ElectronicLocal blog. Either you trade inside out or outside in (referring to Keltner Channels), I do not take any trades outside out, because this is the greater fool approach.

So the setup consists of an expansion bar, followed by an inside bar. The expansion bar should have high volume to allow for exhaustion of bulls or bears, and ideally the inside bar would be a churn bar. In a strong trend you do not take the reversal directly, but there are two options:

(1) Trend exhaustion/churning often characterizes the end of the 3rd wave, it is the start of accumulation (or distribution). The 5th wave is yet to come and often presents itself as a false breakout above or below the high or the low of the third wave. You could then use a fib extension or a pivot to fade that final flag (as Al Brooks calls it). The final flag should have lower volume than the prior exhaustion move, otherwise it is no final flag.

(2) Wait for a trendline break and a second entry and enter 3 or 4 ticks above the upclose that follows the test of the high or low.

For the two marked inside bars on the chart, second entries would have worked in both cases. I would not have taken any short setups, because of the greater fool problem.

If the inside bar occurs inside the Keltner Channel, I would favour a with-trend setup.

Jeff Castille View Post
Hey Fat Tails,

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I was wondering how you would employ these guidelines to a 15 minute chart of CL?

Thanks, Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 08-10 (15 Min)  01_07_2010.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	16351  
Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

lots of opportunities today.

missed to mark an outside bar around 12:30. but didn't qualify because of low volume. and at 11:05 was a bullish reversal bar, but no trigger.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ES 09-10  7_1_2010 (5 Min).jpg
Views:	306
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	16361  

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Silvester17 View Post

missed to mark an outside bar around 12:30. but didn't qualify because of low volume. and at 11:05 was a bullish reversal bar, but no trigger.

Hey Silvester,

How about the inside bar at 10:55 on your chart........any reason you didn't comment on that one?

Thanks, Jeff

KJAVED 
Toronto Canada

Platform: ninja Trader, Ensign,Market Delta
Broker: AMP,Global Futures
Trading: Eminis
Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Received: 83

Silvester17 View Post

If we use some other tool with volume then winning can be increased. All reversal and Inside bars appears at some support or resistance levels. Just to add trend lines, prefrably Gann fans better, as privide also clues where the market is going at open, from last two swings footprints.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ES 09-10  01_07_2010 (5 Min).jpg
Views:	300
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	16362  
Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Jeff Castille View Post
Hey Silvester,

How about the inside bar at 10:55 on your chart........any reason you didn't comment on that one?

Thanks, Jeff

another one I missed. getting old. met all the criteria and a nice winner.

good eye, jeff.

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

KJAVED View Post
If we use some other tool with volume then winning can be increased. All reversal and Inside bars appears at some support or resistance levels. Just to add trend lines, prefrably Gann fans better, as privide also clues where the market is going at open, from last two swings footprints.

hi kjaved,

absolutely. many times those trend reversal bars take place at support or resistance levels. and I really like those gann fans very much, but I'm not very good at using them.

anyway great idea.

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Hey KJVED,

I'm with Silvester...........I really don't know much about the Gann Fan.......perhaps you could take a moment and briefly describe how you use these in real time.

Thanks, Jeff

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

My first HIT @ London Open just now; and on an INSIDE BAR.

Lolu

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3SetUps6E02072010_0822am.png
Views:	243
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	16371  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

KJAVED View Post

For volume, I use the GOMVolumeLadder (tweaked to my style). For support/restance I use simply EMA20. In any case, if I want to use the GANN FAN, what determines the POINTS OF BAR setting ? The default setting is 0.00010.

Lolu

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GanFanSetting.png
Views:	229
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	16374  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts