NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,779 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

here's my trades:

Oops I didn't take any!

the first IB I saw but it was news time. The second I didn't take cause I didn't like how Crude was trading, very narrow range. Same for ES. Any other reasons to avoid it? It would have lost twice.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
44 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

cunparis View Post
here's my trades:

Oops I didn't take any!

the first IB I saw but it was news time. The second I didn't take cause I didn't like how Crude was trading, very narrow range. Same for ES. Any other reasons to avoid it? It would have lost twice.

Wish I could say the same. I don't have my charts in front of me but checking my account balance it looks like I lost 74 ticks today. Congrats on your ability to read the market.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

Nasty day.....-26.......my biggest mistake was closing the first trade before it hit my stop........after I closed the trade it went one tick more and reversed......and I took a loss of -56 on a trade that by my own rules turned into a winner.....too much thinking.

All in all and excellent week........I'll be working on the continuation trades over the weekend.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 08-10  7_9_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	16764  
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
 aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

This thread was on my reading list, and I realized I have been missing out something really nice.

To start with I am attaching a PDF of a scan of Tony Crabel's book which I found on scribd. Not the best scan but works.

Sorry the attachment does not work since it is just over 20MB PDF and is already compressed (images) so Zip does not help in reducing the size. It is available on Toby Crabel - Day Trading With Short Term Price Patterns and [AUTOLINK]Opening Range[/AUTOLINK] Breakout

The beauty about CL is that it is not only trendy like TF but is also rotational like ES. This opens up all kinds of trading opportunities and styles, including counter-trend trades.

Depending on the time (and type) of the day CL trades on its own or trades in correlation with others including the ES, 6E and equity market internals. An automatic trading system is ideal for CL since it has a wide daily range, and a combination of bracket and trending markets intra-day.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

Jeff Castille View Post
Nasty day.....-26.......my biggest mistake was closing the first trade before it hit my stop........after I closed the trade it went one tick more and reversed......and I took a loss of -56 on a trade that by my own rules turned into a winner.....too much thinking.

All in all and excellent week........I'll be working on the continuation trades over the weekend.

Jeff

The problem with fixed stops is that with CL it is very easy to get an overshoot or undershoot of a few ticks without any change in market structure.

However trading CL with its big vertical developments without hard stops can also destroy a trader. That is why reading price action near critical points is very important.

The 76 level had acted as strong resistance overnight and took out a lot of stops when it went. However the price was consistently rejected above 76.30 and it built a huge amount of volume between 76.10 and 76.20 before the bottom fell through during the lunch hour.

The biggest leap a trader can make is understand the context in which the instrument is trading. There are so many variables to it, that I am finding it hard even to formulate the problem to a degree of clarity where I can attempt to program it.

jmacn 
Brisbane Australia

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: MBT
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 147
Thanks Received: 21

This Thread goes from strength to strength.
Many thanks to Jeff and all involved.
Has anyone an indicator that replicates Jeff's CMIPivotsDailyDashV7.cs that is NT 7 compliant?
When I try this one in NT 7 in show a compiling error whereas it is fine in my 6.5.
Regards John

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Well, today confirmed my biggest fear with the IBs: risking 2 cars at 20-30 each to make +8 +16 requires too high of a win rate than I may want to stomach. So, a couple of things

1) I'm only going to trade one car, not two
2) I'm going to trade targets more proportional to my risks, hopefully not at the peril of my win rate and profit factor

I did some more testing tonight, just trading 1 car, 1 target, 1 stop, and not moving any stops to breakeven, just letting it fly in the wind. I tested CL-07 because I don't have recent data on this laptop, but here are my results for +8, +16, +24 and +32. +24 worked best.

I've also started coding for backtesting
- target ATR
- target the size of the IB so risk=reward
- target (ATR+IB size) / 2
- different strategies for moving stops at certain points of profit
- only trade with-trend or counter-trend
- examine when IB size < 1/2 of ATR, these are points of extreme indecision and seem to produce greater win rates, perhaps trade those with larger positions
- only take IBs inside of some set of std dev-based bands (Keltner, Bollinger) and not if they are outside of the bands. or, if outside, only trade an IB move that is a mean reverting back into the bands

Lots to do...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	target8.png
Views:	245
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	16771   Click image for larger version

Name:	target16.png
Views:	240
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	16772   Click image for larger version

Name:	target24.png
Views:	234
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	16773   Click image for larger version

Name:	target32.png
Views:	232
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	16774   Click image for larger version

Name:	ib-testing.png
Views:	275
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	16775  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 vegasfoster 
las vegas

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Velocity/IB
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 304
Thanks Received: 844

shodson View Post
Well, today confirmed my biggest fear with the IBs: risking 2 cars at 20-30 each to make +8 +16 requires too high of a win rate than I may want to stomach. So, a couple of things

1) I'm only going to trade one car, not two
2) I'm going to trade targets more proportional to my risks, hopefully not at the peril of my win rate and profit factor

I did some more testing tonight, just trading 1 car, 1 target, 1 stop, and not moving any stops to breakeven, just letting it fly in the wind. I tested CL-07 because I don't have recent data on this laptop, but here are my results for +8, +16, +24 and +32. +24 worked best.

I've also started coding for backtesting
- target ATR
- target the size of the IB so risk=reward
- target (ATR+IB size) / 2
- different strategies for moving stops at certain points of profit
- only trade with-trend or counter-trend
- examine when IB size < 1/2 of ATR, these are points of extreme indecision and seem to produce greater win rates, perhaps trade those with larger positions
- only take IBs inside of some set of std dev-based bands (Keltner, Bollinger) and not if they are outside of the bands. or, if outside, only trade an IB move that is a mean reverting back into the bands

Lots to do...

Woooowwww, you're doing great!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bob.bmp
Views:	189
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	16776  

jtrade 
near Amsterdam

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: (M)ES, (M)NQ
Thanks Given: 442
Thanks Received: 336

shodson View Post
Well, today confirmed my biggest fear with the IBs: risking 2 cars at 20-30 each to make +8 +16 requires too high of a win rate ...

Good work, shodson, & thanks to Jeff for another great thread ('don't think I posted to this thread yet).

Whilst I am not trading CL, I am looking at adding these entries to FDAX during the European morning. FDAX and CL are quite similar in their trading characteristics, with great potential for profit and loss. Imho, there simply has to be the possibility of catching the bigger swings to keep the RR acceptable : the odd 100+ tick trade is invaluable in this regard. My present conclusion is that one needs to trade 4 contracts minimum (I know, I know...) : "buy your risk" with 2 off at +8 / whatever, another off at +16 for you guys, +21 to +34 for FDAX, c4 hold for bigger swing / technical exit.

I'm going to run this in SIM from Monday.

Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

Belated report for the morning results of the 2 Inside Bar strategies on CL 15 mins Fri:

2 Short (1 winner and 1 loser)
2 Long (both winners)

$200 before commission

PT/SL @12/16 and all 1-contract trades. When the Short was not working (SL @16), a Long was triggered before completion of the entry bar. It regained some lost ground 12 ticks.

My strategies (sim trades) have been outperforming me so far. I will do better in the coming days .. smile ..

Have a Relaxing weekend everyone.

Beth

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts