NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

First trade was outside bar setup. +8 +16

I got 1 tick positive slippage on the entry and that saved me because my target was hit on the low of the bar.

Anyone else take it? I'm curious if you got the same results.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crude trade 01a.png
Views:	283
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	16030   Click image for larger version

Name:	crude trade 01b.png
Views:	230
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	16031   Click image for larger version

Name:	crude trade 01c.png
Views:	277
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	16032  
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

cunparis View Post
First trade was outside bar setup. +8 +16

I got 1 tick positive slippage on the entry and that saved me because my target was hit on the low of the bar.

Anyone else take it? I'm curious if you got the same results.

Hey C,

Yes, I took the same trade however.......I only achieved my first objective........the market moved to within 2 ticks of my second target.....then........+1. I was glad the stop moved when it did.....if it was -8 back I would have been b/e on the trade but it turned out +8+1

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

cunparis 
Paris, France

Jeff Castille View Post
Hey C,

Yes, I took the same trade however.......I only achieved my first objective........the market moved to within 2 ticks of my second target.....then........+1. I was glad the stop moved when it did.....if it was -8 back I would have been b/e on the trade but it turned out +8+1

I think maybe moving it to -3 or -4 would give the trade a little more room. Sometimes it pulls back to the exact breakout pt and it's a pain to get stopped out when a few ticks of room would be better. So I'm going to try -3 and see how that goes.. I'd like to do some stats, if it pulls back to breakeven what's the chance of it hitting target, the chance of it hitting -8, etc..

Thanked by:
 Zoethecus 
United States of America

Platform: NT

All of you guys are doing really well with these. Just goes to show that trading does not have to be complicated.

Congrats to you and a big thanks to Jeff for turning the community on.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Zoethecus View Post
All of you guys are doing really well with these. Just goes to show that trading does not have to be complicated.

Congrats to you and a big thanks to Jeff for turning the community on.

This is 1000x simpler that the other methods I'm currently doing. Makes me rethink my beliefs about simple price action setups. I just hope it keeps working.

cunparis 
Paris, France

There's an inside bar right now but natural gas inventories is in 10 minutes..

worldwary 
Williamsburg, VA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ThinkorSwim
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 259
Thanks Received: 791

Jeff Castille View Post
.......a strange thing happened on my first trade.........I usually set a buy or sell stop a few seconds before the signal bar has finished forming. Well.......it was 11 seconds BEFORE what I thought was going to be an inside bar had formed.......BOOM.....my trade was triggered.....first target hit....stop moved.....and it turned out to NOT be an inside bar....that has never happened before. (4)

This raises a question I've been toying around with: Is there a way to view bars that start at times other than the top of the hour?

For instance, instead of a 15-minute bar that starts at 10:00 and ends at 10:15, can you set the chart to create a bar that starts at 10:05 and ends at 10:20?

I'm thinking that there may be many other potential trades occurring during the day, but they're not recognized on a standard 15-minute chart. You could theoretically have 15 charts open, each one calibrated to a different minute, and thus catch more trade opportunities. Not sure if this would work but it would be interesting to find out.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

cunparis 
Paris, France

worldwary View Post
This raises a question I've been toying around with: Is there a way to view bars that start at times other than the top of the hour?

For instance, instead of a 15-minute bar that starts at 10:00 and ends at 10:15, can you set the chart to create a bar that starts at 10:05 and ends at 10:20?

I'm thinking that there may be many other potential trades occurring during the day, but they're not recognized on a standard 15-minute chart. You could theoretically have 15 charts open, each one calibrated to a different minute, and thus catch more trade opportunities. Not sure if this would work but it would be interesting to find out.

This is the basis of the Kase indicators as described in her book. He uses a rolling window to compute stochastics and other top secret proprietary indicators. It's an interesting idea for Jeff's setups. I'm curious what you find.

Zoethecus 
United States of America

Platform: NT

worldwary View Post

Theoretically, you're correct. This would require significant testing for each data series for proper trade management.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Setup #2 Inside bar - I didn't take it cause of news (gas) +8

Setup #3 Inside bar - I completely missed it, was busy with ES. Too bad for me, I got to learn to pay more attention to this. +8 +16

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts