NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

vegasfoster 
las vegas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Velocity/IB
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 304
Thanks Received: 844

Cunparis and Shodson are on working on backtesting different stops and profit targets (I am assuming at this point they are going to share their findings?). So I was wondering if this works simply because enough people believe that an inside bar on at least a 15-minute bar has significance or does it work because trading breakouts of periods of consolidation is an effective short-term strategy on highly volatile instruments regardless of the confines of a specific price bar.

If so, then maybe there are other equally effective methods to capture the principle and create additional trading opportunities. To start, I was thinking of testing the same strategy for a sample period but using different session start times so the bars are staggered, e.g. 6:00, 6:05 and a 6:10, and see if the results are comparable and whether this increases opportunities or merely overlaps them. Then maybe try using range bars in different ways, both ignoring time and taking time into consideration. For example, if the price sits in a certain range for at least 10-minutes then maybe that provides a good opportunity, etc.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

This is what is called "A Greater Fool Trade". Unfortunately you did not find a greater fool. You either take a trade outside in or inside out, but never would I take a trade outside out.

The bar had a second problem: the range was too large and it was not a NR4 bar.

So there are two strong arguments not to take the trade.

shodson View Post
I haven't had time to backtest this, but IBs that touch outside a Keltner seem to be more risky. My first on loss on Friday (a 44 tick loss) could have been prevented.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Jeff Castille View Post
You are trading during lunch time in NYC !!!! This isn't the best time to trade. I see half of al signals FAIL during this time period....So if you want to trade during this time period.....good luck with that.

As far as your other questions........I'm just focused on 15 minute charts so I can not say how the 15 min related to the 5.

Sure.....wickless inside bars......why not......that behavior usually shows some good activity.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING........TIME OF DAY.

Yeah, today was a great day, too bad I didn't trade it. I would have had +48 on CL and +24 on 6E. At least I got a +9 tick winning gap trade on ES

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

vegasfoster View Post
To start, I was thinking of testing the same strategy for a sample period but using different session start times so the bars are staggered, e.g. 6:00, 6:05 and a 6:10, and see if the results are comparable and whether this increases opportunities or merely overlaps them. Then maybe try using range bars in different ways, both ignoring time and taking time into consideration.

I was thinking exactly the same thing today. IBs on a time chart represent periods of consolidation which range bars unfortunately do not capture, unless you explicitly track the time spent in the bars.

I was thinking along a different direction though. How about using a 14 or a 13 minute bar so that we do not fall on the boundaries of multiples of 5s, 15s, 30s and 60s.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

Jeff Castille View Post
You are trading during lunch time in NYC !!!! This isn't the best time to trade. I see half of al signals FAIL during this time period....So if you want to trade during this time period.....good luck with that.

As far as your other questions........I'm just focused on 15 minute charts so I can not say how the 15 min related to the 5.

Sure.....wickless inside bars......why not......that behavior usually shows some good activity.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING........TIME OF DAY.

Jeff, have you experimented with smaller targets during low volume periods? The dynamics of the breakout are still valid but the follow-through is often missing. A +4+8 (with a -4,-8 stop-size) would be interesting to back-test.

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

Jeff
I have not taken the time to thank you here for bringing these setups to our attention, and that is a mistake. For the last month I have concentrated on just the inside bar setup and it has made a world of difference in my trading. Stress is down, I am not trying to read something into the charts that isn't there, and best of all, the success rate is much higher, so from me to you, a heartfelt thanks.
Papa15

Thanked by:

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

aviat72 View Post
Jeff, have you experimented with smaller targets during low volume periods? The dynamics of the breakout are still valid but the follow-through is often missing. A +4+8 (with a -4,-8 stop-size) would be interesting to back-test.

Hey Aviat72,

No, I have not experimented with smaller targets during low volume times..........I've had it drilled into me NOT to trade at low volume times........sometimes I regret it when I see a monster move at lunchtime in NYC but......I don't have the patience to wait on the slow moves the USUALLY occur at low volume times......I like to get in an get out!!

Minimum exposure........

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

Here's an excerpt from an article by Al Brooks.......I've posted this before.........there are really only a limited amount of hours where there are good opportunities to trade. So.......why would I want to trade at what are NORMALLY low volume times.........well......I don't ......I think trading at low volume times is for losers. Believe me......if I thought I could make money at low volume times......I would do it.

Notice how he starts the article....."ALTHOUGH EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE FIRST HOUR OR SO IS THE BEST TIME TO TRADE....."

Best Time to Trade Although everyone knows that the first hour or so is the best time to trade, many traders miss too many of the trades because they happen too fast and the change of directions occur abruptly. The market is going up very strongly and then on the next bar it falls with just as much momentum. By the time you accept the reversal, you have missed the trade. However, if you train youself to focus intensely during the first hour, you should be able to see about four strong setups. Even if you choose to scalp them, you can do well. Remember, either the high or low of the day usually occurs in the first hour or two, and this means that the market will eventually run away from that area very far by some point in the day. If you can learn to take those entries, you can do very well with swing trading. On most days, you will have to take 2 - 4 entries while attempting to catch a big swing but it is worth it. And it is hard to do. Some traders live for those first two hours and then don't trade for the rest of the day. One very successful trader told me that he analyzed his trading and discovered that he made 90% of his money in the first hour or two and decided to no longer trade the rest of the day.

The next best time to trade is in the final hour or two. The market often has nice trending swings going into the close.

The single worst time to trade is in the middle third of the day where the market usually is spending a lot of time in the middle third of the range, near the EMA, forming lots of Barb Wire and chopping swing traders to pieces. Yes, great price action traders can make money there, but until you are consistently profitable, you should avoid it.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

gtichauer 
Argentina

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

shodson View Post
Yep, one trade scenario a pattern does not make.

I think the problem I have is when the IB is much larger than my target, usually because it follows a large expansion bar. While it's a pause, relative to recent price action, the IB may still be much larger than normal volatility and the market may still be trading violently.

shodson given u have the ability of coding why don't u filter your trades for Narrow Range bars? This way should reduce the size of your stop and enhance the r:r ratio....once u have code it u should check which parameter work best.....4,5,6,7,etc.....

another way I am looking to this, although not able to backtest, is to look for reversals only after 3 consecutive bars on the same direction....ie three red bars and then IB to hte short side only.....

Both this methods will for sure decrease the amount of signals but should work on efficiency of the ones taken.....but u can solve this by adding markets...

GT
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

I created an IB indicator that paints the bar black if it's a "good" IB and orange if it's a "bad" IB

A good IB is

- inside a Keltner
- NR4
- the range is < ATR(14)

We can debate or modify what we think a good IB is or not, but this is a start.

You can modify the settings on the Keltner, the NR look back, and the ATR period. If you want to ignore any of these criteria then set their related parameters to 0 and the rule will be ignored. If you are filtering for Keltner channels it will draw the channel for you.

I also added a "GoodBar" DataSeries so if you want to trade good IBs in a strat on bar close look for

Code
indicatorObject.GoodBar[0] == 1
After having reviewed this a bit a good strat might be to take a breakout of a good IB, target ATR and put your stop loss at the bottom of the IB, therefore target is always greater than stop loss, so you only need a 50+% win rate to be profitable. Add in the right instrument, time of day, and avoid bad times to trade and you're set.

If you have any other potential filters that you think would be worthy to add let me know. Thanks to Fat Tails for recommending the first 2.

It's in the Elite Downloads section, for Elite members only

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts