NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 253,543 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,603

shodson View Post
I love .NET rounding problems, I think Ninjatrader should have used decimal instead of double for their pricing data. The guys in Office Space are probably keeping the other 0.00000000009 ticks for themselves

From memory, no NT up --- Instrument.Round2TickSize() will help with that.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Big Mike View Post
From memory, no NT up --- Instrument.Round2TickSize() will help with that.

Mike

Yeah, that works I guess. I still think the NT developers should not be using double precision floating point numbers. Almost all financial applications I've seen or built don't use floats.

aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

Fat Tails View Post
My Keltner settings are (33,3). I smooth them with a period 3 , just for the pleasure of the eye , so maybe it is more something like (31,3).

Could you please elaborate on the smoothening you mention above? Also do you apply these on the 15 minute charts or a lower time-frame? Also do you use RTH/24/7 or some other session settings (I like starting at 3:00AM Eastern for my stats, since that is when volume starts picking up).

Fat Tails View Post
I do not mind where the inside bar is exactly located, but I want to see a complete opera, which confirms that the bears are exhausted and that the bulls have recovered.

(1) Accelerated downward move culminating in a climax bar (wave 3 type price action), (2) stopping or churning volume inside or just below that wide ranging bar, but above strong resistance (3) establishment of a trading range in the lower half of the climax bar, (4) trendline break on a lower time scale (5) retest of low or bear trap, (6) silence. Enter a position during silence, it is a low risk entry. A narrow range inside bar or several consecutive dojis both mean silence. I trade two dojis in the same way that I trade an inside bar. Then I use a soundfile with church bells to alert me.

S2 is a key support that only breaks on strongly trending days, so I would not have traded a downward breakout of the inside bar, as my preferred breakout direction was clearly up.

Excellent observations on defining the context of the trade. Today was definitely not a trend down day so any significant break below DS2 was unlikely. BTW, what session do you use for pivots as plotted on the chart. I use the 24/7 (the NYMEX session starting at 6:30 PM EST) and the RTH on separate charts.

I do have some questions about your second target. If your stop was breakeven or more, you would have been taken out before the second target was hit. It was pretty much the high of the day post crash. It also took a long time to hit. What kind of risk management do you use on these runners?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

On CL's open, wait for the first 15min bar to form.

If it's an up bar, buy
If it's a down bar, sell
If it's a doji, go in the direction of the breakout
Close your position 3 hours later (12noon Eastern)

I'm not saying this is a sure moneymaker, but it's interesting to note, at least lately, that the first bar of the day tends to portend where the market will end up at lunch time, especially when big moves are made.

The winners, on average, seem to be larger than the losers.

4 out of 5 losers happened when the opening 15 min bar crosses into last bar of the previous day's morning session. All of the winners didn't do that: there were always gaps.

Again, this is a small sample size, so definitely nothing conclusive. Just interesting...

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

+48 on 2 IB trades.

I got really lucky with my target getting filled on that 2nd trade. Heaven knows I've had plenty of one-tick wonders go against me, nice to have one go my way.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

shodson View Post
On CL's open, wait for the first 15min bar to form.

If it's an up bar, buy
If it's a down bar, sell
If it's a doji, go in the direction of the breakout
Close your position 3 hours later (12noon Eastern)

This is the same concept as Crabel's ORB. Try backtesting it.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

aviat72 View Post
Could you please elaborate on the smoothening you mention above? Also do you apply these on the 15 minute charts or a lower time-frame? Also do you use RTH/24/7 or some other session settings?

The smoothing is really not important, as it does not make much of a difference. I used a 3-period EMA. I apply the Keltner Channels on all charts starting from 3 to 120 min. They also can be applied to tick charts, range charts etc. I use the electronic session (ETH).

aviat72 View Post
BTW, what session do you use for pivots as plotted on the chart. I use the 24/7 (the NYMEX session starting at 6:30 PM EST) and the RTH on separate charts.

I do have some questions about your second target. If your stop was breakeven or more, you would have been taken out before the second target was hit. It was pretty much the high of the day post crash. It also took a long time to hit. What kind of risk management do you use on these runners?

I use 24/7 ETH session for the pivots. I did not trade CL that day, but you are right, I could have been taken out o the second half of my trade at break-even. The risk management part is easy to explain: I do not tarde all inside bars, but only those that have a narrow range (NR4 = lowest range of the last four bars). I place a stop several ticks below the signal bar (inside bar). As this is a narrow range bar, my risk is limited to this range and a couple of ticks.

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

I used the Keltner Channel to get me into these trades @ London Open. Fat Tails, is this a good way to use the Keltner Channel on INSIDE BAR ?

Lolu

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

lolu View Post

I used the Keltner Channel to get me into these trades @ London Open. Fat Tails, is this a good way to use the Keltner Channel on INSIDE BAR ?

Lolu

Yes, I am using Keltner that way, but I always, always want to have a look at volume. Let us take the five (!) opportunities so far:

(1) The inside bar was pretty midrange of the climax bar - see climax volume below -, so you could expect a retest of the low. the bar also had a downclose comfirming the negative bias. On the other hand the inside bar was outside the Keltner Channel, so any short trade would have been a Greater Fool Trade. The bar pattern is also known as a bullish Harami, so you also would expect the market to rise. 2 bullish, 2 bearish arguments. I would not have taken this trade at all.

(2) Inside bar after the retest of low just above resistance. Very bullish pattern, confirmed by bullish breakout. If you do not take this one, you never will make any trade. Target 1 is 2 ticks below yesterday's low, target 2 fibline. Excellent reward-to-risk ratio.

(3) This is not an inside bar, but a NR7 - narrow range 7 - bar. I also would have taken the trade, but the reward-to-risk ratio of this one is not very good. The first target (two ticks below yesterday's low) is closer than the stop loss below the bar. Exit the whole position at floor pivot S1.

(4) You cannot trade this NR7 bar as a breakout. If at all you could have gone short just below resistance, but as there still were the long positions you would do nothing.

(5) Two doji pattern marks a consolidation. The upside breakout is a fast and easy trade with the first target at the fib line.

(6) Another NR 7 bar. I would not have take the short there, because the bar was sitting on the midrange and yesterday's volume weighted average price. So no trade for me, as I only would have taken an upside breakout.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E 09-10 (15 Min)  13_07_2010.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	16883  
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

lolu View Post

Lolu

Nice job Lolu, yeah that first IB was a loser for me because I had larger targets (+24). And because I was still in a position I missed the next IB, which was a winner. Got bad slippage too because I'm entering on a 1-range time frame because, while this works best for backtesting purposes, it adds slippage in real-time when the range bars gap. -20 ticks.

-2 on CL so far, 1 winner and 1 loser.

Has anybody ever considered time in trade? I've seen some breakout strategies that, for example, if they go long, and they haven't reached their intended target after a certain amount of time they get out of the trade. The thought is that if an IB represents a pause, consolidation, and a period right before the next big move, then if no big move is made after a certain amount of time it probably wasn't meant to be so the trade is aborted. That 6E loser lasted almost an hour as it bounced off of the lows of the session 3 of the bars.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts