NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Hi cunparis and shodson,

if I am right you both took a similar trade and both with a loss. The inside bar - marked blue in the chart below - occured after an expansion bar up. The expansion bar was a climax bar that shifted value within the ongoing auction to a new level. On the 5 min chart you would have seen a climax bar followed by a churn bar.

The inside bar was a balancing bar that occured within the trading range defined by the expansion bar. So it was part of a countertrend move prior to the trendline break and you would expect a retest of the high, anyhow.

The problem with the setup is that the inside bar occured just above extremely strong cross-support on declining volume. Declining volume means a low probability that the countertrend continues and breaches the support line.

The support came from

- the intraday trendline
- the floor pivot R1 (75.51)
- a longer term strong fib confluence line (75.51)
- the 78.6% fib retracement line calculated from current day's high and low (75.53)

An inside bar on low volume just above strong support is not bearish at all. Of course it easier to see this with hindsight than in real-time. I just want to come back to the idea of Tony Crabel here, who introduced the concept of a breakout preference, which means that you only take the breakout in a defined direction.

cunparis View Post
Here's mine, +15 total (I put +13, that's after commissions).

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

Fat Tails View Post
Hi cunparis and shodson,

An inside bar on low volume just above strong support is not bearish at all. Of course it easier to see this with hindsight than in real-time. I just want to come back to the idea of Tony Crabel here, who introduced the concept of a breakout preference, which means that you only take the breakout in a defined direction.

You have interesting observations and I do not doubt your analysis. But I'll give you my point of view which is very simple: I actively trade ES and it requires my full attention. It is my main source of income. This crude inside bar looked like an easy setup I could do without diverting my attention from ES. So that's why I trade it. I backtested the main idea and I'm trading it almost mechanically. I say almost because I try to trail the stop a bit more and sometimes move my target in which requires discretion (and even then I'm not sure the results are better than the mechanical version! hehe).

In order to act on your ideas I'd need to either:

- backtest them - this would require a time investment that I don't really have
- spend time investigating them and monitoring the trades more closely

so even if my approach, which is Jeff's basic approach, is sub-optimal, as long as it is positive I'm willing to accept the trade off. For me the crude trades are a bonus above & beyond what I get on ES.

I hope that makes sense. Normally I'd be very interested in your ideas and spend lots of time testing them but I have my own method for ES that is very profitable for me (you can read more about it in my journal thread).

I hope someone else will be interested in testing out your ideas for a bias for the IB breakout and will share the results.

Thanks

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

Today's trade on 3SETUPS.

Lolu

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3SetUps6E09072010_today.png
Views:	233
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	16732  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Hi cunparis,

your comment makes sense. Did you backtest the profitability of trading inside bars, or are you just assuming it?

cunparis View Post
You have interesting observations and I do not doubt your analysis. But I'll give you my point of view which is very simple: I actively trade ES and it requires my full attention. It is my main source of income. This crude inside bar looked like an easy setup I could do without diverting my attention from ES. So that's why I trade it. I backtested the main idea and I'm trading it almost mechanically. I say almost because I try to trail the stop a bit more and sometimes move my target in which requires discretion (and even then I'm not sure the results are better than the mechanical version! hehe).

In order to act on your ideas I'd need to either:

- backtest them - this would require a time investment that I don't really have
- spend time investigating them and monitoring the trades more closely

so even if my approach, which is Jeff's basic approach, is sub-optimal, as long as it is positive I'm willing to accept the trade off. For me the crude trades are a bonus above & beyond what I get on ES.

I hope that makes sense. Normally I'd be very interested in your ideas and spend lots of time testing them but I have my own method for ES that is very profitable for me (you can read more about it in my journal thread).

I hope someone else will be interested in testing out your ideas for a bias for the IB breakout and will share the results.

Thanks

Zoethecus 
United States of America

Platform: NT

Fat Tails View Post
Hi cunparis,

your comment makes sense. Did you backtest the profitability of trading inside bars, or are you just assuming it?

Has anyone backtested the inside bar setup?

aslan 
Madison, WI

Platform: ALT
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

shodson View Post
I lost 54 ticks on the 2nd trade, before the inventory reports. I have a 15 minute pre/post news window but the trade fired 20-25 minutes before the news. How much time in front of news do you avoid trading Jeff?

If you do open trades before a report or news, one key item is to tighten the stop before the report. Reports can whip quickly, and you do not want to take a big loss due to a whip or a new trend starting. Instead, tighten up, and you either take a small loss or if you are lucky a big winner if it goes in your original direction. Another option is to just close the trade before the report if you dont like the risk.

cunparis 
Paris, France

Fat Tails View Post
Hi cunparis,

I did extensive backtesting and posted my results including the optimizations and the equity curves in this thread. You may want to read over my previous posts.

I am not a fan of backtesting because I use a lot of discretion. But this is a really simple setup so I thought backtesting would give me more confidence to trade it. I'm sure results can be improved with discretion but I simply don't have the time to invest right now.

cunparis 
Paris, France

aslan View Post
If you do open trades before a report or news, one key item is to tighten the stop before the report. Reports can whip quickly, and you do not want to take a big loss due to a whip or a new trend starting. Instead, tighten up, and you either take a small loss or if you are lucky a big winner if it goes in your original direction. Another option is to just close the trade before the report if you dont like the risk.

I agree with one caveat. No matter which direction it will go, it often will whip both ways taking out any stops before it goes on the big move.

In the past I've practiced bracketing the inventory report. It's a lot of fun but I haven't been consistent enough to do it with real money. Here's an example:

aslan 
Madison, WI

Platform: ALT
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

cunparis View Post
I agree with one caveat. No matter which direction it will go, it often will whip both ways taking out any stops before it goes on the big move.

Totally agree, usually the first whip is in the wrong direction to the eventual trend. Personally, I would avoid CL reports altogether unless you really know what you are doing.

cunparis 
Paris, France

I just calculated the PF for all my crude trades. This does not include my first trade which was an incorrectly identified reversal bar which lost me $380. This is just the inside bars.

1.98 is fantastic for such a simple setup! This is from June 23 and I know I missed at least 1 setup that won.

I then compare to my ES trading during the same period (NOT the inside bar setup, this is my normal trading based on cycles & volume):

The 1 ES loss was a mistake, I put on a trade right before a news release and stopped out. But even with the mistake the PF is 10.18. This is why my focus is on ES but the crude setup is a nice bonus.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts