NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,779 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

cory View Post
it looks the same as better volume indicator, select lowbar and lowchurnbar

Yeah, it's my version of BetterVolume with a few of my own additions, but the colored volume bars are essentially just BetterVolume.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

vast View Post
Shodson, what is the new filter you are using? Is this tied in with the post a few pages ago about the HVC bars? Better volume?

Here's an example of today's IBs using free and publicly available indicators. I would have passed on one loser and two winners but got 1 winner in the afternoon. Realistically, trading all IBs, the 3rd trade would not have been taken because I would have still been in the 2nd trade, so actually normal results would have been 2 winners and 1 loser. However, with the NR4 and volume filters, instead, I would have just had 1 winner and no losers, just taking the last IB trade. The winner would have been a multiple > 1 winner as well.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

shodson View Post
Here's an example of today's IBs using free and publicly available indicators. I would have passed on one loser and two winners but got 1 winner in the afternoon. Realistically, trading all IBs, the 3rd trade would not have been taken because I would have still been in the 2nd trade, so actually normal results would have been 2 winners and 1 loser. However, with the NR4 and volume filters, instead, I would have just had 1 winner and no losers, just taking the last IB trade. The winner would have been a multiple > 1 winner as well.

So you may be asking "shodson, based on your testing, you must be trading these and making money hand over fist, right?" Well, not yet, and here's why: Session start time. When I backtest I usually start the session 1-2 hrs in front of the open so I have some bars before the open but I don't backtest a 24hr session in order to speed up the backtesting on the 1-range bars. The problem is that I get different results with different session start times, especially since the BetterVolume needs 20 bars (5hrs on a 15min chart) to compute its averages so my quandry is whether or not I should backtest the 24hr session, just the RTH session, or a few bars in front of the session like I was doing before (for the NR4 calculations). Take a look at these variances on CL-09.

In my time zone (Pacific) CL opens at 6am, closes at 11:30am, CL-09, 7/20 - 8/19, IB must be NR4 and normal volume.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cl-24hr.png
Views:	261
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	19027   Click image for larger version

Name:	cl-rth.png
Views:	243
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	19028   Click image for larger version

Name:	cl-custom.png
Views:	239
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	19029  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

@shodson,

With such a small sample size (12 trades), I think you should ignore the 'performance' results (net profit). If your indicator requires 5 hours of historical data prior to plotting @ the open, then it seems like you need to probably run a 24h ETH chart, and just set the strategy to only trade during RTH.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

I have my IRA at thinkorswim, and it's been all cash for years now, and I think I'm getting ready to trade this account soon. So I thought I'd do some SIM trading on TOS do get used to their DOM/ladder. I saw what I thought looked like an unconvincing reversal bar so I went with-trend and shorted it for a nice 2pt SIM win.

I like the TOS DOM, it's nice, but it doesn't have ATM like Ninja, but I don't really use ATM anyways so it may not matter. Or, I'm stupid for not using ATM. The $7 RT commission at TOS doesn't get me very excited either, and I might be able to negotiate that, but I like the ability to trade stocks, options, futures and forex (not in IRA though) from one single account, not 4 separate accounts like you have to have with Tradestation. But if I'm just going to trade futures I might as well move it to Tradestation so I can get some of the advantages of that platform in addition to Ninja.

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

I do my futures trading at ToS and I don't pay $7 RT. I wrote Tom Sosnoff (sp?) the president of the company and asked for a lower rate and he gave it to me since I was "a long time swimmer". If you have been there for years, you will most likely get a lower rate. I pay $5 per RT for any futures contract. Not as good as some for emini's, but better than most for currencies and crude oil.....

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

jtrade 
near Amsterdam

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: (M)ES, (M)NQ
Thanks Given: 442
Thanks Received: 336

Jeff - should you, shodson, FT or other generous programmer ever be in the mood, I'd be very appreciative for a ReversalsV7 featuring a marker above the IB, OB & RB that also happen to be NR4 bars. An NR4 alert would be even better, especially if it would work in a Market Analyser window.

Ninja's Bertrand coded an elegant NR* indi, which I attach here if reference would help. The trouble with simply adding this indi is that it marks all NR4 bars, as opposed to only those that are also "The Castille Three".

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: NarrowestRangeFinder.zip

jtrade 
near Amsterdam

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: (M)ES, (M)NQ
Thanks Given: 442
Thanks Received: 336

Jeff Castille View Post
I thought it might be a good idea to look at each bar type on a individual basis.

So........let's start with the "INSIDE BAR"

Since 5/17 until today 6/16 on a 15 minute chart of CL during the hours of 6-9 am PST and 10-11:15 am PST there have been 46 inside bar trades......40 have been winners (at least +8+1) 2 have been stop outs......and 4 have met the criteria for a stop and reverse.

For a trade to qualify for a stop and reverse.......it must hit the initial stop within the trigger bar. On the 2 regular stop outs......the trades did not reach their targets or stops within the trigger bars (15 min) and the initial stops were moved to take us out of the trades without having to reach the initial stops.

Also, I have been trading signals that set up pre pit open and during lunch as long as the trigger bar is within the trading times listed above.

Jeff - I just reviewed this thread and thought I'd add the SAR set up for IBs as you describe.

However, if I read your rules correctly, surely it's no longer an IB : it has become a standard Outside Bar entry (in which case your stats above should read "46 IB trades total : 40 winners / 6 losers; 4 of the losers were followed immediatey by Outside Bar winners") !?

Please let me know if I've misunderstood - sorry if this was covered and I missed it - and have a great weekend.

J.

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Saw a nice IB setup but felt like going for a big move instead of a scalp, trailed it with a LinReg and MOBO bands on the 3min, got +57 ticks

Thanked by:

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

Excellent work Shodson!!! You da man.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts