NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 253,543 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

wgreenie View Post
Instead of a Buy Stop, I placed a Sell Stop at 94. Waiting for it to become an Outside Bar LOL!

Beth

Why did you not take the long?

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

At this point I see NO advantage trying to differentiate between "good" and "bad" inside bars.

Just load the new indicator on a chart a see all the perfectly good inside bar trades that you would have missed.

Most of the losses that I see on inside bar trades are come from terrible money management and trading during "bad" times of day........I think time would be better spent noting WHEN a trade fails......is it at the index open, on options expiration day, low volume times of day ?????? etc.

Notice the great inside bar trade that Beth missed today because of a supposed "bad" inside bar.

So far.......I'm not buying it..........please SHOW me if you think that I am wrong.

Thanks, Jeff

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Panda
VA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

This is a very nice and properly simple strategy that is looking very profitable! Congrats and thanks.

Thanked by:

tickvix 
USA

Platform: Infinity
Broker: Infinity
Trading: ES, Euro
Thanks Given: 137
Thanks Received: 157

Cunparis when able would you please point out when did you enter your trade. I had the same trade I think and got stopped out. So just to make sure I would not do the same mstake on my entry. Thank you in advance for your help

TV/Gregory

cunparis 
Paris, France

tickvix View Post
Cunparis when able would you please point out when did you enter your trade. I had the same trade I think and got stopped out. So just to make sure I would not do the same mstake on my entry. Thank you in advance for your help

TV/Gregory

You must be talking about the first one because the 2nd was a sure winner.

The first one went about 16 ticks maybe I'm not sure how many (don't have ninja up, it keeps crashing). I got out early at +11.

What is your profit target(s) and are you trailing a stop or using a breakeven stop?

tickvix 
USA

I use 8 pips first target and as much as I can on 2nd. with low of the bar stop. I try not to take trades if bar is more then 16 pips long. If longer but I like set up I'll go wih one contract. If market is going my way I would move stop +4 after first is out. If continue to go my way I would move brkevn and then would let it go with moving my stop every 5 min to the low of the 5 min bar if long and high of the bar if short.
Since my goal is to get $160.00 on any trade I would keep moving my stop till get stopped out.
BTW I like to trade at defined levels such as MML, or High, Low of the day etc..
Could u pls just tell me when did u enter your trade at what time. THank you for your help!!!

cunparis 
Paris, France

tickvix View Post
I use 8 pips first target and as much as I can on 2nd. with low of the bar stop. I try not to take trades if bar is more then 16 pips long. If longer but I like set up I'll go wih one contract. If market is going my way I would move stop +4 after first is out. If continue to go my way I would move brkevn and then would let it go with moving my stop every 5 min to the low of the 5 min bar if long and high of the bar if short.
Since my goal is to get $160.00 on any trade I would keep moving my stop till get stopped out.
BTW I like to trade at defined levels such as MML, or High, Low of the day etc..
Could u pls just tell me when did u enter your trade at what time. THank you for your help!!!

I didn't realize you wanted to know the exact time, sorry.

My timezone is 6 hours ahead of new york.

tickvix 
USA

Great thank you!!!! I was early and you on time. Learning is great.

joed 
paramus, nj

Platform: ninja
Broker: zenfire
Trading: es 6e
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

anyone have an answer to an age old question..... why is it so difficult to scalp and grab 8 or 10 ticks in your trade... but if your wrong and dont have a stop your loses grow beyond belief in a matter of minutes,,,??

aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

shodson View Post
I created an IB indicator that paints the bar black if it's a "good" IB and orange if it's a "bad" IB

A good IB is

- inside a Keltner
- NR4
- the range is < ATR(14)

We can debate or modify what we think a good IB is or not, but this is a start.

You can modify the settings on the Keltner, the NR look back, and the ATR period. If you want to ignore any of these criteria then set their related parameters to 0 and the rule will be ignored. If you are filtering for Keltner channels it will draw the channel for you.

I also added a "GoodBar" DataSeries so if you want to trade good IBs in a strat on bar close look for

shodson:

I think your Keltner channels are based on RTH data. Even if you want to just trade the RTH, it would be useful to use ETH data for Keltner channels. CL especially is active pre-market during the European session and hence gaps are very common. Currently, on any gap day, the Keltner criterion is likely result in bad IBs.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts