NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 252,656 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

Fat Tails View Post
Hi Beth,

you can use IB data to chart them. I don't think a separate subscription of those is necessary.

Thanks Fat Tails for your kind advice. Funny that I am unable to see Bid/Ask for TF/NQ. It did give me an option to see delayed market data for TF if available.

Beth

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

xevian View Post
Thanks Jeff for sharing this setup.
I read all the posts last night and tried the inside bar setup with 2 paper trades with CL as a tester. Although I wouldn’t normally trade overnight I was itching to see it in action. I achieved a profit of +48 between 11pm and 12.15am EST and +28 this morning.
From my understanding of the entry, it’s taken immediately after the close of the inside setup bar, in the direction of the opening of the entry bar? I.e. if the entry bar immediately turns bullish then I would place a SL order above the inside bar? I hope that makes some sense.

Hi Xevian,

I am glad to hear of your success.........although I believe that the set ups have a greater chance of success during previously discussed hours.........as far as entry and stops are concerned for the inside bar set up read post #1...I can't say it any plainer.

Jeff

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

If you have an Interactive Brokers Account, there is a US Securities & Commodities Non-Professional Bundle. This includes real-time data for NQ and TF. If you have not subsribed to it, you cannot use IB data anyhow.

wgreenie View Post
Thanks Fat Tails for your kind advice. Funny that I am unable to see Bid/Ask for TF/NQ. It did give me an option to see delayed market data for TF if available.

Beth

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

Fat Tails View Post
If you have an Interactive Brokers Account, there is a US Securities & Commodities Non-Professional Bundle. This includes real-time data for NQ and TF. If you have not subsribed to it, you cannot use IB data anyhow.

TF is with ICE and I don't get data for it either. Nor for DX. Apparently you have to pay extra for this. If anyone knows how to get it free please let me know. I just use DX to get a feel for sentiment so not really trading it and don't want to subscribe to it. As it is now I just use the delayed and focus more on the Euro.

the yellow is for delayed data.

NQ is CME so if you get ES you get NQ.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Thanks for the point. You are right. I have also subscribed data for ICE/NYBOT. It is not that expensive.

cunparis View Post
TF is with ICE and I don't get data for it either. Nor for DX. Apparently you have to pay extra for this. If anyone knows how to get it free please let me know. I just use DX to get a feel for sentiment so not really trading it and don't want to subscribe to it. As it is now I just use the delayed and focus more on the Euro.

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

ICE Financials/ Russell exchange is FREE till the end of the year; so, you get TF free; I subscribe to DTN-IQFeed, so I have TF free.

Lolu

Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Fat Tails View Post

Thanks to Fat Tails and Cunparis. I just realized I do get NQ live (together with ES) and delayed data for TF. I'm fine to use Mirus/ZenFire to trade TF on an occasional basis.

Note to Jeff: I did 2 real CL 1-contract trades this morning, the yellow bar completed at 11:45 am. 10 ticks in total (1 and 9). Thank you.

Beth

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

wgreenie View Post
Thanks to Fat Tails and Cunparis. I just realized I do get NQ live (together with ES) and delayed data for TF. I'm fine to use Mirus/ZenFire to trade TF on an occasional basis.

Note to Jeff: I did 2 real CL 1-contract trades this morning, the yellow bar completed at 11:45 am. 10 ticks in total (1 and 9). Thank you.

I'm not sure why someone would want to trade NQ & TF & ES. They're all correlated so just pick one. Crude is a good second market, especially with a simple setup like Jeff's three.

Congrats on your trades!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

cunparis View Post
I'm not sure why someone would want to trade NQ & TF & ES. They're all correlated so just pick one. Crude is a good second market, especially with a simple setup like Jeff's three.

Congrats on your trades!

Thanks Cunparis. I have no intention to trade NQ .. maybe for testing my strategies. Yes, I am trading TF (over ES) and not both.

With your best wishes, I just did another profitable CL Inside Bar short trade (12 ticks) .. smile .. In total 22 ticks for today. My heartfelt thanks to Jeff again for sharing his three set ups with us.

Beth

Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

+10 / +18
+10 / BE
+10 / BE
-19 / -20
============
Strategy: +9 ticks

Real life: -29 ticks

Why? When I woke up I noticed my charts froze up again so the first 2 trades were missed, but I fixed it later in the day and picked up the last 2 IB trades.

My charts "freeze" in that even though I'm connected to ZenFire the charts don't update with the latest data. It has something to do with to "Format Data Series" screen, as if, even if I have "Days back" selected it won't print any bars past the date in the "Last Date" field so when I wake up the next day there are no fresh bars even though I have a live strategy running. So the night before I just have to make sure my "Last Date" date is sometime in the future I guess. Has anybody else had this problem?

The other option is to not run strategies on charts at all and just set them up using the Strategies tab in Control Center, which never gave me any problems before.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts