NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 253,677 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

In addition to these setups I'm going to be doing some homework on different MM strategies. I'm not totally comfortable just using the other side of a signal bar as my stop loss level yet having fixed target levels.

Take an inside bar for example. It may be only 6 ticks tall in a very volatile market. Or it may be 30 ticks tall following a 32 tick tall bar that previously had very low volatility. Scalping +8/16 could provide unwieldy volatility in your equity curve. I'm going to research using for both profit targets and stop losses the average of the ATR plus a bar's range. Put more precisely:

Code
double stopLoss = (ATR(5)[0] + Range()[0]) / 2;
double target1 = stopLoss;
double target2 = 2 * stopLoss;
Averaging ATR and the bar's range for both stops and targets could make the risk/reward of each trade more balanced, but hopefully not at the expense of overall profitability.

Here's another idea I've been researching. I call it the "top of the hour breakout" trade. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this.

Tip
Treat every :05 print as a breakout range, go with the breakout. At the top of the hour every M5, M15, M30 and M60 trader helps the market decide where it goes next. Looks like you can usually follow the breakout of that bar for some profits.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

shodson View Post
In addition to these setups I'm going to be doing some homework on different MM strategies. I'm not totally comfortable just using the other side of a signal bar as my stop loss level but having fixed prices.

Take an inside bar for example. It may be only 6 ticks tall in a very volatile market. Or it may be 30 ticks tall following a 32 tick tall bar that previously had very low volatility. Scalping +8/16 could provide unwieldy volatility in your equity curve. I'm going to research using for both profit targets and stop losses the average of the ATR plus a bar's range. Put more precisely:

Code
Averaging ATR and the bar's range for both stops and targets could make the risk/reward of each trade more balanced, but hopefully not at the expense of overall profitability.

Here's another idea I've been researching. I call it the "top of the hour breakout" trade. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this.

Treat every :05 print as a breakout range, go with the breakout. At the top of the hour every M5, M15, M30 and M60 trader helps the market decide where it goes next. Looks like you can usually follow the breakout of that bar for some profits.

Hey Shodson,

Two great ideas.......I did some work on the first 5 minute thing in the "All You Need" thread.

Another idea as far as stops go........I was wondering if we could incorporate the 15 minute signals WITH a 5 minute chart to show us when a trade was turning against us? Thoughts?

Jeff

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Todd 
Alpharetta, GA

Platform: ninja
Broker: Mirus / Zenfire
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 40

Jeff,

Did you test this 3 setup strategy on a 5 or 10 minute chart?
If so, just curious what you found.

Todd

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Todd View Post
Jeff,

Did you test this 3 setup strategy on a 5 or 10 minute chart?
If so, just curious what you found.

Todd

Hi Todd,

I didn't really "test" anything........just made some observations and went from there. I continually look to see how other time frames perform and it seems that the 15 minute is working the best.

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Hey Shodson,

Here is a time line indicator that might help you in your first 5 min.....top of the hour.....investigation.

Thanks to Zeller for this indi. You can have it paint a line on your chart however many minutes you want.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: TimeLines_v01.cs

gtichauer 
Argentina

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

cunparis View Post
It ended up pulling back -6 and then hit the +16 target.

Here's my idea: trade 1 contract. When it gets +8 move stop to -8 and go for 16. I'll see if I can do some stats on this to see how it compares.

I am testing something similar to this.....when it moves certain ticks (Target1) in your favor reduce stop to b/e trade (entry less Target1)....worst case no gain, but you allow more room to move......and I believe Target 2 must be greater to offset the full stops that you may have....

GT
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

gtichauer 
Argentina

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire / IB
Trading: ES, TF, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 807
Thanks Received: 298

shodson View Post
In addition to these setups I'm going to be doing some homework on different MM strategies. I'm not totally comfortable just using the other side of a signal bar as my stop loss level yet having fixed target levels.

Code

Tip

Shodson I don't know how u plan to test this but an idea, also according to Cunparis comments, may be to enter 1 ct on entry and 1 ct on a 50%/75% adverse excursion....so the cost of a full stop is reduced, there is room for a pullback after entry, which if deep enough could play in our favor......target for the second could be the entry point, and target for the first ct stop size......

GT
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

I've been trying almost the whole day to add a code to the indicator so that the High and Low of the yellow bar will be displayed on the chart upon its formation. No luck yet as I am not a programming person .. sigh ..

Will some of you have a sample code that may give me some tips on how to do this? I communicated with NJ Customer Service back-and-forth and the suggested samples/links do not help. It's me ..

Thank You!

Beth

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

shodson View Post

Code

Tip

wgreenie View Post
I've been trying almost the whole day to add a code to the indicator so that the High and Low of the yellow bar will be displayed on the chart upon its formation. No luck yet as I am not a programming person .. sigh ..

Will some of you have a sample code that may give me some tips on how to do this? I communicated with NJ Customer Service back-and-forth and the suggested samples/links do not help. It's me ..

Thank You!

Beth

Hi Beth,

Did you see the indicator that Shodson created for GT? I'll attach......maybe it will help.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: shHiLowPrinter.cs
Thanked by:
 wgreenie 
Cambridge, Ontario

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 1,258
Thanks Received: 1,203

Jeff Castille View Post
Hi Beth,

Did you see the indicator that Shodson created for GT? I'll attach......maybe it will help.

Thanks Jeff for answering my sos so swiftly (as always).

I'm semi-successful at this point. Actually it delivers more than I expected LOL (per enclosed). Hmm, I will look at the code again over the weekend when I may have a clearer mind. Wish me luck!

Beth (grateful)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 08-10  6_25_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	320
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	16148  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts