NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

THREE SET UPS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 215 posts (430 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 146 posts (154 thanks)
    3. looks_3 shodson with 125 posts (211 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 73 posts (189 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 253,677 views
    2. thumb_up 1,369 thanks given
    3. group 124 followers
    1. forum 1,073 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

THREE SET UPS

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Jeff Castille View Post

So.....let's define a reversal bar again........

#1 IT MUST COME AT THE END OF A MOVE (UP OR DOWN)

#2 IT MUST HAVE HIGHER VOLUME

#3 THE WICK MUST BE 2/3+- OF THE ENTIRE CANDLE

The magenta bar must have higher volume? Or the bar before it must have higher volume? I'm assuming the 2/3 wick/magenta bar must have higher volume than the previous bar, correct?

Also, I'm still not clear on your stop loss strategy. I know you do 2 cars, +8 when go b/e or +1 on the other targeting +16, but where are your initial stops? Sorry if I missed it...

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

I was looking at the reversal indicator code, some would argue the definition of an inside bar is where Low[0] > Low[1] and High[0] < High[1] but you are using <= and >= so I'm not sure if what you are marking are truly inside bars. Are you sure what you read defines inside/outside bars to include the highs and lows equal to the previous bar?

So, below is a chart using your template. I just want to make sure I'm reading these correctly because I'm prone to automate and backtest setups once I understand every detail. Tell me if my assumptions are correct.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: YM and CL
Thanks Given: 1,783
Thanks Received: 3,303

shodson View Post
I was looking at the reversal indicator code, some would argue the definition of an inside bar is where Low[0] > Low[1] and High[0] < High[1] but you are using <= and >= so I'm not sure if what you are marking are truly inside bars. Are you sure what you read defines inside/outside bars to include the highs and lows equal to the previous bar?

So, below is a chart using your template. I just want to make sure I'm reading these correctly because I'm prone to automate and backtest setups once I understand every detail. Tell me if my assumptions are correct.

Hey Shodson,

Yes.......I purposely have the code set to identify an inside bar as equal to or less.....

You are correct ....#1 is NOT a reversal bar as it did not meet the criteria.

#2 did meet the criteria.....however Geithner started talking at 7 am PST and you can see when he finished when the market stopped jerking around and took off to the upside.

#4 unfortunately was a stop out......as it went down first and then exceeded the previous bar by +6......not enough to get my first target.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

shodson View Post
The magenta bar must have higher volume? Or the bar before it must have higher volume? I'm assuming the 2/3 wick/magenta bar must have higher volume than the previous bar, correct?

Also, I'm still not clear on your stop loss strategy. I know you do 2 cars, +8 when go b/e or +1 on the other targeting +16, but where are your initial stops? Sorry if I missed it...

See post #1 for stops.....the magenta bar itself must have higher volume (see example a post or two back)

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

I'm backtesting a little when I have time. Here is an equity curve for just inside bar (easiest to test). The profit target I've tested everything from 8 to 16 ticks. This is 8.

My conclusion is that this has worked unusually well during the past 2 months with a PF of 1.5. However, testing over the past year produces results that are not as good (PF 1.14). 1.14 leaves no room for margin of error, mistakes, or anything else. It's walking a very thin line. testing longer term has given the same results around 1.14.

The win % for past 2 months has been 85-90%. Even for the past year it's 80%. The problem isn't the winners, it's the losers. The stops really hurt.

Now I don't take into account news or lunch. I don't think it's really important because the perf is so good for the past 2 months even not taking into account news & lunch. So even if I add support for news & lunch, the last 2 months are still going to be very good compared to the past year.

Also using two targets and going to breakeven would improve results. However I don't know how to test such things with tradestation. I can do that with ninja but it's a lot of work, compared to tradestation where it's relatively easy to do simple tests.

so I'm not sure what to make of it. In the past this has had major losing streaks. That could happen again at any time. or it could continue working for the next year.

I guess the best would be to milk it while you can and if it stops working then be very careful.

equity curve for 8 tick chart for past 12 months using commissions but NO SLIPPAGE (any slippage whatsoever will kill it since the avg trade is only $9.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

shodson View Post

hope you don't mind me marking on your chart. here are the trade setups I see.

1. blue outside bar
2. magenta bullish reversal bar (but no trigger till green bar)
3. bearish reversal bar

# 4 doesn't have enough volume.

I use volume this way. if you have a spike in volume in a move up, that might indicate that sellers are stepping in and the move could be over. so I'm looking for increased volume either from the signal bar or the bar before. either one is good for me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-06-22_1459.png
Views:	249
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	15918  

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

cunparis View Post
I'm backtesting a little when I have time. Here is an equity curve for just inside bar (easiest to test). The profit target I've tested everything from 8 to 16 ticks. This is 8.

My conclusion is that this has worked unusually well during the past 2 months with a PF of 1.5. However, testing over the past year produces results that are not as good (PF 1.14). 1.14 leaves no room for margin of error, mistakes, or anything else. It's walking a very thin line. testing longer term has given the same results around 1.14.

The win % for past 2 months has been 85-90%. Even for the past year it's 80%. The problem isn't the winners, it's the losers. The stops really hurt.

Now I don't take into account news or lunch. I don't think it's really important because the perf is so good for the past 2 months even not taking into account news & lunch. So even if I add support for news & lunch, the last 2 months are still going to be very good compared to the past year.

Also using two targets and going to breakeven would improve results. However I don't know how to test such things with tradestation. I can do that with ninja but it's a lot of work, compared to tradestation where it's relatively easy to do simple tests.

so I'm not sure what to make of it. In the past this has had major losing streaks. That could happen again at any time. or it could continue working for the next year.

I guess the best would be to milk it while you can and if it stops working then be very careful.

equity curve for 8 tick chart for past 12 months using commissions but NO SLIPPAGE (any slippage whatsoever will kill it since the avg trade is only $9.

Cunparis,

We've been through this before........which is why "backtesting" without concern for news or lunch is worthless.........the last time you tested like this I looked through EVERY losing trade and the vast majority of them occured during news or lunch.

See post #41

Jeff

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

Jeff Castille View Post
Cunparis,

We've been through this before........which is why "backtesting" without concern for news or lunch is worthless.........the last time you tested like this I looked through EVERY losing trade and the vast majority of them occured during news or lunch.

See post #41

Jeff

It's impossible to take news into account for backtesting. Well not impossible but it'd involve writing code to query forex factory to get a list of all news items over the past few years. Would be a lot of work.

I understand your concern about news, but my reasoning is this:

Even when trading during news, the past 2 months have had extraordinary performance compared to the past several years. so adding "not trading during news" should increase the performance of both proportionately.

I don't have a way to automate backtesting with news but I can pick out a few weeks where the perf was bad and do it manually to see if avoiding the news would have helped.

Hopefully someone else with more time for backtesting will be able to investigate this further.

Jeff Castille 
Northern California

cunparis View Post
It's impossible to take news into account for backtesting. Well not impossible but it'd involve writing code to query forex factory to get a list of all news items over the past few years. Would be a lot of work.

I understand your concern about news, but my reasoning is this:

Even when trading during news, the past 2 months have had extraordinary performance compared to the past several years. so adding "not trading during news" should increase the performance of both proportionately.

I don't have a way to automate backtesting with news but I can pick out a few weeks where the perf was bad and do it manually to see if avoiding the news would have helped.

Hopefully someone else with more time for backtesting will be able to investigate this further.

The past two months is not in question since the results are stellar......
it's the rest of the time that is an issue.....lol

I know the only way that I've been able to get any sort of " good " backtesting has been with Barrons economic calendar up.....where I can bring up ANY day and see the news releases to check how I really would have traded on any given day.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

Jeff

cunparis 
Paris, France

Jeff Castille View Post
The past two months is not in question since the results are stellar......
it's the rest of the time that is an issue.....lol

I know the only way that I've been able to get any sort of " good " backtesting has been with Barrons economic calendar up.....where I can bring up ANY day and see the news releases to check how I really would have traded on any given day.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

Jeff

I totally agree. And it's very time-consuming. And by doing it manually our brain can play tricks on us by convincing us why would wouldn't have taken a losing trade or why we would have bent the rules slightly to take a winning trade.

But I agree with you (except I use forex factory calendar instead of barrons). I'll pick a week or two and give it a try.

I'm still interested in trading it now, just being cautious.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 15, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts