NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bookmap xRay

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Bookmap with 122 posts (84 thanks)
    2. looks_two johnl with 20 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 paps with 11 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Neo1 with 9 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Bookmap with 0.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Neo1 with 0.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MichaelH with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bathrobe with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 137,890 views
    2. thumb_up 115 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 278 posts
    2. attach_file 51 attachments

Search this Thread

Bookmap xRay

MichaelH 
Munich Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, MetaTrader
Broker: S5
Trading: DAX, ES
Thanks Given: 75
Thanks Received: 43

Bookmap View Post
Hi Michael,

Something similar to your requested feature will be offered in the upcoming release of Bookmap in Jan 2018. Keep your eyes peeled!

regards,

Bruce

Just installed the new BM7 beta. Excellent implementation of this request (even it was planned apparently before this request). Also i do like the additional heatmap colouring option - Great !

Thanks a lot Bruce and BookMap-Team

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Bookmap  Bookmap is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 173

Keab View Post
Hi Bookmap team,
Quick question for you regarding the trading app/add on.
I use TT via my broker, and Bookmap connects to this feed.
I have used Sierra charts and Ninja Trader charts to trade off before, and the way that orders are sent to the exchange is a rather murky area.

To be as clear as possible, if I trade using Bookmap and have a stop limit order in place using Bookmap, when I click on Bookmap and the order is entered onto the chart, is this order being sent direct to the exchange, or is the order only sent to the exchange once the level is breached?
Similarly, if I have entered a position and have a Stop Loss order at Market price (and not a limit order), is this Stop Loss Market Order being sent to the Exchange as well, or is it only existing on the Bookmap system and is sent to the exchange when this price is hit?

I hope that makes sense. In my previous experience with trading from charts, what I found out is that sometimes the orders only rest locally on your PC or on the application itself and are not transmitted to the exchange until the price is reached. In a fast market this could be extremely dangerous with prices moving large amounts meaning large amounts of slippage.

Regards,

Keab

Hi Keab,

Once a stop limit price is reached, the order becomes a limit order at that price level and is seen as liquidity in the order book at the exchange. A stop loss order is not seen by others. Once the stop order price is reached, the order executes as a market order. Sometimes stop loss orders are held on your broker's server, other times it is held locally on your machine -- it really depends on the broker or data provider. You need to contact them and ask. I hope that helps.

regards,

Bruce
Bookmap Team

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

jphiggs View Post
After updating Bookmap because of a dialog reporting a fix is available, I now have a trade size in parentheses next to aggregate traded volume at price. How can I get rid of that and still aggregate last trade like before, and why is there no documentation for that?

Hi jphiggs,

You can turn off the Aggregation of Last Trade under the Configurations tool (sprocket icon on the toolbar in Bookmap 6.1 and lower. In Bookmap 7.0 find Configurations under Settings). Deselect the Aggregate Last Trader option. However, this has been a highly requested feature. Watch this video for more information. You may choose to use this functionality.

regards,

Bruce
Bookmap Team

MichaelH View Post
Just installed the new BM7 beta. Excellent implementation of this request (even it was planned apparently before this request). Also i do like the additional heatmap colouring option - Great !

Thanks a lot Bruce and BookMap-Team

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying the new Bookmap beta 7.0. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist.

regards,

Bruce
Bookmap Team

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

Hi @Bookmap

Nice additional features in v7 Thanks!

I wanted to add a request for consideration, would Bookmap be able to investigate supporting data connection with DTC? (DTCprotocol.org). Being SierraCharts open source connection.

Thanks again for the great work

amoeba View Post
Hi @Bookmap

I wanted to add a request for consideration, would Bookmap be able to investigate supporting data connection with DTC? (DTCprotocol.org). Being SierraCharts open source connection.

Hi Amoeba,

Thanks for the kind words! I've documented your request for DTC connectivity.

regards,

Bruce
Bookmap Team

pev11 
Miami, FL

Platform: NinjaTrader, QT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 8

I recently installed bookmap (v6.1 build 70) and I'm using Ninjatrader v7 (latest build).
I have added bookmap as an indicator to three of my charts ES, CL and ZN.

The problem I'm having is that ninjatrader lags pretty bad when there is significant movement in the markets. By lag I meant the NT dom lags (can't move or place orders, price doesn't update for 2-3 seconds) as well as NT charts not updating promptly. Bookmap seems to be running fine with no lag while this is happening.
If I remove the bookmap indicators from the three charts in ninjatrader then the lag no longer happens.

I installed bookmap on a new ssd drive separate from NT and the OS to see if it helps but the problem still occurs. I did notice that the bookmap\cache folder grows to about 2.5 GB by end of day. Not sure this is normal.

When I check system performance CPU usage is about 10% (with one of the cores peaking about 70%), memory is mid way and disk at about 2%. Running on AMD Ryzen 1600, 16GB RAM, Samsung 960 M.2 ssd.

Is anyone else here running bookmap with Ninjatrader as an indicator? Any lag or performance issues?

Thanks.

pev11 View Post
... The problem I'm having is that ninjatrader lags pretty bad when there is significant movement in the markets. By lag I meant the NT dom lags (can't move or place orders, price doesn't update for 2-3 seconds) as well as NT charts not updating promptly. Bookmap seems to be running fine with no lag while this is happening.
If I remove the bookmap indicators from the three charts in ninjatrader then the lag no longer happens.

Please make sure that both Bookmap and NT are set with equal priority as shown below. It’s highly recommended to set both with Normal priority. Based on your description it’s likely that Bookmap has higher priority than NT. Bookmap itself never sets or changes those settings. The default priority is Normal, set by Windows OS. However it happened in the past that Bookmap users change this settings manually and then forgot about it. If this is not the case and you still have this problem, please contact us and our tech support will help.

pev11 View Post
... I installed bookmap on a new ssd drive separate from NT and the OS to see if it helps but the problem still occurs.

Indeed, if the problem is as suspected above, this wouldn’t help.

pev11 View Post
... I did notice that the bookmap\cache folder grows to about 2.5 GB by end of day. Not sure this is normal.

Yes, this is normal. Market data typically consists of 90-97% of market depth updates (order book) and the rest is trades data. This is why observing market depth is so important. But that also implies technological challenges. Note that most trading charts don’t need to handle market depth data and even the trades data is aggregated into candlesticks. Even if those charts display DoM, they need to handle only the current snapshot of market depth.
Bookmap chart may contain millions of market data events. The technological challenges are to allow smooth real-time chart display like HD video experience and also to allow quick and seamless chart manipulation. This required fast access to the market data collected so far. Handling all this data in RAM is not an option due to the large amounts of the data which can reach many gigabytes before compression. To solve this we have developed a proprietary database and a data structure that effectively use both RAM and disk drive. The Bookmap\Cache folder contains the latter. It can easily grow to several gigabytes and it’s normal. The proprietary data structure is optimized for fastest access with both SSD and HDD, but SSD is obviously faster.

pev11 View Post
... I installed Bookmap on a new ssd drive...

There are two main folders which Bookmap creates during installation by default:
Installation folder. By default: C:\Program Files\Bookmap\
User folder. By default: C:\Bookmap
From the performance point of view it doesn't really matter on which drive you have the Installation folder. But if you have enough space on your SSD drive, it’s recommended to put the User folder on it because this is where the market data is maintained by Bookmap and SSD is faster than HDD.

For more performance related questions, please read this page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vThRhjT08k1RL7xc2uHFReVIxmI68XBCkISNcgHILt1KuMSJkmlaGF9PeA04wGBilAqucXl8xKQS-d3/pub

Regards,
Sergey / Bookmap

amoeba View Post
Hi @Bookmap

Thank you for your message and feedback!

We are considering to open the development of adapters that will enable to connect Bookmap to any platform as open source projects for traders and programmers. It will enable to connect Bookmap to any market data and trading interface. The adapters can be developed using Bookmap Layer 0 API. In fact, this is how the adapters for already supported platforms were developed by Bookmap team. Here is more information about Layer 0 API:

Diagram of all Bookmap API’s: https://bookmap.com/apis/
Layer 0 API in more details: https://bookmap.com/api-layer-0/
Layer 0 API documentation: https://github.com/BookmapAPI/Layer0ApiDemo

In general the access to Layer 0 API requires Bookmap Quant license. This allows firms and organizations to use Bookmap with their own market data and trading interfaces in both real-time and Replay. But we can give access to it for free for software developers in cases when the adapter that is being developed is an open source project and connects to popular platforms such as Sierra/DTC. Once the adapter is ready, all traders will be able to download it and plug-in into Bookmap without the need to access L0 API.

For best user experience Bookmap has to receive high quality market data with full market depth (order book) as a stream of incremental of updates, stream of trades in a form of Time & Sales, and to be able to use server-side orders management such as OCO and Brackets. Is this the case with DTC?

Regards,
Sergey / Bookmap

pev11 
Miami, FL

Platform: NinjaTrader, QT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 8

Thank you for the detailed response.

In my case, the bookmap process shows as javaw.exe since it's running under the java platform I guess? It is set to "Normal" priority. Ninjatrader is also set to Normal, I never changed these values. I am running Windows 10 btw.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but even if I exit bookmap but keeping the bookmap xray indicator running in the ninjatrader chart, I still experience the lag. Again, this lag is usually apparent under heavier market activity. At this time I'm only running CL and ES on bookmap.

Last Updated on April 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts