NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Lets talk about Windows 7 and 10 and other things.

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 11 posts (17 thanks)
    2. looks_two xplorer with 11 posts (19 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mrphr with 9 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 5 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,117 views
    2. thumb_up 117 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 64 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Lets talk about Windows 7 and 10 and other things.

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,494
Thanks Received: 15,388

EU privacy gurus peer at Windows 10, still don't like what they see

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Windows 10 keylogger: How to stop Microsoft from tracking everything you type - International Business Times, UK Edition
https://apple.news/AKkOqR_7GSTmegNezKaYsFw

Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Experience: None
Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, S5T, IQFeed
Trading: The one I'm creating in the present....Index Futures mini/micro, ZF
Thanks Given: 7,341
Thanks Received: 4,518

xplorer View Post
Windows 10 keylogger: How to stop Microsoft from tracking everything you type - International Business Times, UK Edition
https://apple.news/AKkOqR_7GSTmegNezKaYsFw

Thank you!.... this is now off on 3 machines...

Ron

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

For those who are concerned about the excessive intrusions of privacy that products such as Windows 10 present, I have recently come across something interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
Wine is a free and open source compatibility layer software application that aims to allow applications designed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.

I'm not going to investigate or spend too much time on this right now, but I wanted to put it out here as a bookmark for future reference.

https://www.winehq.org/

Thanked by:

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

xplorer View Post
For those who are concerned about the excessive intrusions of privacy that products such as Windows 10 present, I have recently come across something interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
Wine is a free and open source compatibility layer software application that aims to allow applications designed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.

I'm not going to investigate or spend too much time on this right now, but I wanted to put it out here as a bookmark for future reference.

https://www.winehq.org/

It's (unfortunately) not working with a lot of Windows apps (see here and here for example).
It would have been great to have the pros of Linux with all Windows applications libraries but it won't work. Here too, when it looks too good to be true, well, there's a problem somewhere .

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Put down your coffee and admire the sheer amount of data Windows 10 Creators Update will slurp from your PC

[...]

Now

Windows 10 Home and Pro has, right now, two levels of data collection, Basic and Full. When a computer is in Basic mode, Microsoft says Win 10 takes a note of the state of your hardware and its specifications, your internet connection quality, records of crashes and hangs by software, any compatibility problems, driver usage data, which apps you've installed and how you use them, and other bits and pieces.

In Full mode, shedloads more is sent over. It includes everything at the Basic level plus records of events generated by the operating system, and your "inking and typing data." Engineers, with permission from Microsoft’s privacy governance team, can obtain users' documents that trigger crashes in applications, so they can work out what's going wrong. The techies can also run diagnostic tools remotely on the computers, again with permission from their overseers.

And next

In the Creators Update, aka Windows 10 version 1703, all this information will be collected in Basic mode. A lot of it is to help Microsofties pinpoint the cause of crashes and potential new malware infections, although it includes things like logs of you giving applications administrator privileges via the UAC, battery life readings, firmware version details, details of your hardware down to the color and serial number of the machine, which cell network you're using, and so on.

Then there's the information collected in Full mode, which includes everything in Basic plus your user settings and preferences, your browser choice, lists of your peripherals, the apps you use to edit and view images and videos, how long you use the mouse and keyboard, all the applications you've ever installed, URLs to videos you've watched that triggered an error, URLs to music that triggered an error, time spent reading ebooks, text typed in a Microsoft web browser's address and search bar, URLs visited, visited webpage titles, the words you've spoken to Cortana or had translated to text by the system, your ink strokes, and more.

Full article on The Register

Thanked by:
Reeve
Port Elizabeth

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 5

I absolutely can't stand windows 10, I use custom software on NT8, Every time 10 updates itself NT8 goes for a loop, after finally getting everything sorted and turning updates off, 10 updates itself again. I had my it guy go into the registery , he can't get 10 to stop updating but he can now give me the option of deciding if I want the update, the previous update removed this option. My NT8 has again gone from working to not working and Ninja help does not want to know your issues as the software is custom. Nt8 did not update, 10 did so why should NT8 go for a loop, Ninja says it my custom software and I know its not as it was 100% before the 10 update, where do you turn to for help now I ask? GATVOL OF WINDOWS 10

Thanked by:
 bbilotta 
Chicago IL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Transact, SC
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 38

I recently "upgraded" to a new machine. As I've been told by the PC builder I buy machines from, chip builders are now required to produce their chipsets to only work on Win10. There are no Win7 drivers for some of these new chipsets, mine included. MS definitely wants us all moving towards Win10. Hell, they were giving it away just to get us to switch. And i'm sure they don't want to continue to support any more operating systems than they have to.

And folks like Big Mike have a point. We must continue to upgrade. Which is why, when my Win7 machine began to fail, I was willing to upgrade to Win10. I figured it's been out for a while now, and they've probably got most of the kinks worked out.

My SierrChart worked fine for the first several weeks. This week however, things changed. I began getting "unknown exception" errors. Support at SC has attributed this to a Windows 10 problem, but has yet to elaborate any further on exactly what is causing SC to generate "Message 15" when it "Caught an unhandled exception". According to MS, "unhandled exception" could mean just about anything.

MS support says they can't help because they have no idea what the SC program is referring to when it says "unhandled exception". SC isn't providing any more info other than to say I should roll back my machine to Win7 - which of course I can't do because it's a brand new machine; or that they hope MS is aware of the issue and they hope it will get fixed.

I loved XP. I wish i could still be operating on it. But the reality is I can't. Win7 was fine also. And the thing is, I'm not a programmer, and I have enough hobbies. I would be bogged down in a Linux build for months - and I don't need another hobby. I would have stayed on Win7, but didn't mind moving to 10. But now I'm stuck. My trading machine is unstable, my software provider is pointing their finger at MS, MS is pointing back at SC.

As an end user / trader I want two things - A stable platform, and a responsive software provider. Right now, unfortunately, I have neither.

Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

bbilotta View Post
As an end user / trader I want two things - A stable platform, and a responsive software provider. Right now, unfortunately, I have neither.

good point, a new machine is needed to keep up with the latest update, my 5Y old laptop is running the latest Win10 however Toshiba has no plan for its BIOS update so I can't get to its BIOS anymore (no F key to select when it boost up).

LDog 
Lafayette, TN/USA

Platform: SC,TastyWorks,ToS
Broker: TDA, OANDA,AMP/CQG/SC
Trading: Looking for it/them
Thanks Given: 11,919
Thanks Received: 344

bbilotta View Post
I recently "upgraded" to a new machine.

I'm curious, has anyone has suggested trying Windows Compatibility Mode for SC's startup shortcut? (and to make sure it's running as an Administrator)

Last Updated on March 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts