NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why I dumped ninjatrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 8 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two sefstrat with 6 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tortexal with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sharp2be with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 sefstrat with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 shodson with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 31,315 views
    2. thumb_up 9 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 47 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Why I dumped ninjatrader

sharp2be 
Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT, TS
Broker: Amp
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 69

I agree with most comments about NT on this thread. I have a lifetime license of NT and have been using the NT 7 beta. I would say there's been big improvements on the latest beta (5)... perfect? no.

I've used pretty much every software out there in the past including TS, Ensign, Amibroker (own), QuoteTracker, Metastock (own) and others but somehow I keep coming back to eSignal... probably because I like the speed... fast to open and use the charts but again this is a personal opinion.

NT charts are very important and the programming platform is probably the best in my opinion. C# has a long way to go.
eSignal EFS is so so... takes twice as long to develop the same thing but there's a lot of code out there.
TS / Multicharts uses EasyLanguage which is probably the biggest amount of available free code out there. I like TS charts, nice... the feed? Had some issues in the past... Multicharts is really nice but I'm not sure about their decision to use EasyLanguage... I wish they had chosen C#, think they would be better positioned for the future.

Amibroker is also a nice piece of software, lots of free code out there. It's probably the fastest of them all but the language is not event driven, can be very cumbersome at times.

On other thing I enjoy in NT is the order management and how it displays my trades, I haven't seen anything like it.

I've spent more time on platforms than I should, my plan now is stick to one (two max) of them. The most important decision factor for me at this point is to invest in a platform that I know will be available on the long run. My personal order of preference:

TS & eSignal -- large companies, will probably be around for a long time
Ninja - small company but caters really well to introducing brokers...
Metastock - Reuters will be around for a long time, Metastock has been dead (development wise) for the last 5-7 years...
QuoteTracker - nice and quick platform, decided to abandon it after TD's acquision... old Delphi code, don't see how they will ever modernize it.
Sierra - don't particulary like their charts.
Ensign - beautiful and crispy charts, their development language is weird... how many more DYO can they introduce?
CQG - I hear wonderful things about it...

Again, this is only my personal opinion and I could be completely wrong in one or most cases...

Would be interested in hearing your opinions/experiences on these softwares.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
25 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

cclsys 
Sydney, NS

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: TF,S,GC
Thanks Given: 248
Thanks Received: 393

Pardon my ignorance but re:

"x86 OS w/NT 6.5 or NT7 x86: Fine
x64 OS w/NT 6.5 or NT7 x86: Fine
x64 OS w/NT 7 x64: Not yet (API limitation)"

What does this mean? Are there different types of Ninja platforms?
Or: if I put in W7, it sounds like after some fussing around I should be able to run NT 6.5 like I currently am on XP 32? Or do I have to get a different version of NT 6.5?

I am suprised that NT7 won't run on 64 W7. I thought the whole point was that it took advantage of 64 bit environment.

Please understand that although I have a rough idea that 64 bit means far greater calculation capability, I don't really know what it means. I have sent Ninja emails and to my surprise - and also on the forum - there has been no response to these questions which makes me think that something is wrong somewhere. Usually on the forum someone from Ninja answers quickly. Usually if you send an email (which I rarely have done since first week on platform) they respond quickly. In this case when asking about W7 there was no answer either time.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,610

cclsys View Post

What does this mean? Are there different types of Ninja platforms?
Or: if I put in W7, it sounds like after some fussing around I should be able to run NT 6.5 like I currently am on XP 32? Or do I have to get a different version of NT 6.5?

Ninja platforms currently in use:
NT 6.5 (x86)
NT 7.0 (x86)
NT 7.0 (x64)

Quoting 
I am suprised that NT7 won't run on 64 W7. I thought the whole point was that it took advantage of 64 bit environment.

No, the "not fine" was talking about Zen Fire. NT7 x64 on x64 OS does not work with Zen Fire, just like it won't work with 99% of commercial indicators (DLL's with obfuscation). Those will need to be recompiled in x64 binary mode. So a lot of developers are making a lot of money if they are willing to recompile their products, they can charge customers a fee to get the same product all over again, but in x64 flavor.

I would imagine Zen Fire is working on x64 solution already. NT and Zen Fire are brothers in this area, I am sure it is work in progress as a very large percentage of the customer base uses Zen. It could be months before NT7 final is available, and months more before a stable release, so by then x64 Zen could be available.

If you don't use Zen, you'll have to check for compatibility, but I think eSignal and IB are already confirmed working on x64.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

cclsys View Post

What does this mean?

Let me break it down. There are 3 levels of programs that all have to work together.
1) Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit
2) NinjaTrader Program, 32-bit or 64-bit (v7 only)
3) 3rd party dynamic linked libraries (DLLs) that NT loads in while it's running to perform tasks, such as connect to a broker, or use a proprietary indicator that has been delivered as a DLL file.

Here are the constraints:
a) A 32-bit program can run on 64-bit Windows, but not vice versa
b) A 64-bit .NET executable/program can only work with 64-bit DLLs because they share the same 64-bit memory space. There are ways around it, but they are hacks and not very efficient. You're better off waiting for a 64-bit version of the DLLs that you need.

Historically, everything we've been doing is all 32-bit. Now that NT7 is entering the 64-bit realm, all of the DLLs (ZenFire's DLL to connect to ZenFire, proprietary indicators that are compiled as obfuscated .NET DLLs, etc) must also be converted to 64-bit as well. Otherwise, if you rely on any DLLs that do not have 64-bit versions yet then you must run the 32-bit NT7 with the accompanying 32-bit DLLs.

Personally, I hope ZenFire is on top of it and comes out with 64-bit compatibility soon after NT7's release. I'm a little concerned NT is biting off a lot in this release. I would have liked to see more incremental releases that aren't so epically reconstructive all at once. I don't have access to the beta so I'll wait and see when the final release is out. The improvements I'm most looking forward to are the speed improvements with backtesting, especially with tick and range charts.

Thanked by:

sefstrat 
Austin, TX

Platform: NT/Matlab
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: FX majors
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 768

Big Mike View Post
So a lot of developers are making a lot of money if they are willing to recompile their products, they can charge customers a fee to get the same product all over again, but in x64 flavor..

Wow that is dirty, charging people for x64 binaries when it takes all of 2 seconds to recompile. It is sad that some feel they have to resort to such low tactics to make money.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,610

sefstrat View Post
Wow that is dirty, charging people for x64 binaries when it takes all of 2 seconds to recompile. It is sad that some feel they have to resort to such low tactics to make money.

I don't know that I would consider it dirty... I haven't done it personally, but I am sure several developers on this forum have. I think it's reasonable for them to be paid for their time to dust off prior products and make them compatible with NT7 and provide a x64 DLL option.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread

Mindset 
Singapore

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: ib
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 291

Will 64bit operation really be that much quicker - any stats anybody?
Personally I would like NT to get a fast ,robust 32 bit version of NT7 up and running first before they bite off a whole new chunk of "improvement".
Most users I feel will not use the extra capability of 64 over 32 (IMHO)

texbest
fort worth, tx usa

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 1

hi all. like tortexa i have experienced some major problems with the n/t platform. did a limit short sell order and was filled 10 points above my order. plus dom showed a 62k profit on another order same day. amp said to dump my data and problem would be fixed. never did get them to credit my 10 point slip. also use open e cry platform and will dump one as i test further. so far e cry may be the winner.

Last Updated on December 15, 2009

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts