NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why I dumped ninjatrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 8 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two sefstrat with 6 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tortexal with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 shodson with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sharp2be with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 sefstrat with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 shodson with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 31,286 views
    2. thumb_up 9 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 47 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Why I dumped ninjatrader

caprica 
USA

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 45
Thanks Received: 114

cunparis View Post
I agree about Zen-Fire, but how far back does their historical data go? I was under the impression that it was limited. I tried last night to get ES ##-## and I got nothing from zen-fire, I had to use IQ. I could get ES U09 though so it may be aproblem with continuous contracts?

I also trade stocks so that keeps me on IQFeed for historical and IB for realtime..

Zen Fire does not support continuous contracts (##-##). Remember Zen Fire historical data is really NinjaTrader servers directly. From what I've read NT7 is going to now support continuous contracts natively meaning Zen Fire will as well.

I'm not sure how much historical data is available but it isn't much. I think it's the current contract only for tick data for instance. A real shame. I am a Zen Fire user too and love it.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks

Mindset 
Singapore

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: ib
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 291

I used Ts for about 5 years.
It's good and v stable but antiquated in it's architecture. I am surprised that no one talks about the lag issue - every time news/figs came out my machine would almost stop - at one stage my ticks were 6 minutes behind ( yes that is right minutes).
I NEVER get that with IB and NT - same machine.

On the plus side TS has the Best forum other than futures.io (formerly BMT) ( of course) - and is very supportive of people who struggle to program Easy language - something NT is lacking in I feel.

Biggest issue for me is that you can't point and click on the chart.
I trade off the chart now so Ts is a non starter.

If you are backtesting or auto trading however TS is miles above NT in it's robustness.
I am persevering with NT and hope that v7 addresses some of the issues that people have talked about here - I am sure it will be an improvement which can only be a good thing.

So I guess it's horses for courses. If you want to backtest/autotrade use TS - if you want to trade quickly off the chart - use NT.

Great thing about TS is that you only need to execute a small amount of trades each month and it's free - nice

Turtleman21 
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Platform: InvestorRT, S5Trader, Jigsaw
Broker: Stage 5 Trading, IQFeed
Trading: ES, Euro Future
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 4

sefstrat View Post
I feel your pain on the DB repair thing though, that happened to me once too. I take regular backups of the DB now, can't wait to decomission 6.5 and the jetdb nonsense.

sefstrat -- I'm a rookie NT user and don't know much about what's under the hood, but your backup suggestion makes sense. What file(s) should I back up, just in case? So far I haven't had any problems, but you never know . . . .

Thanks.

cclsys 
Sydney, NS

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: TF,S,GC
Thanks Given: 248
Thanks Received: 393

caprica View Post
Zen Fire does not support continuous contracts (##-##). Remember Zen Fire historical data is really NinjaTrader servers directly. From what I've read NT7 is going to now support continuous contracts natively meaning Zen Fire will as well.

I'm not sure how much historical data is available but it isn't much. I think it's the current contract only for tick data for instance. A real shame. I am a Zen Fire user too and love it.

If you have Ninja for a while, you can merge the files so that after a year you have a year of continuous data with the front month data. It doesn't take long but you do have to remember. Obviously, if you want instant continuous files on anything this is impractical, but if you only follow 2-3 contracts regularly/intensively, it's not that hard to do.

Something someone somewhere on the forum might like to do is compile continuous files for importing, though I seem to remember Ninja only takes 1 min txt files, not tick files. Have to check on that.

Caution with TS continuous files: unless things have changed in past year, they merge the close of the old contract with open of the new contract thereby eliminating any gap. If there was a large gap on rollover day, this distorts the entire file considerably. I asked them again and again to stop doing that but they were unresponsive. The best rollover is close-to-close or open-to-open. Ninja merging has the same deficiency.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

sefstrat 
Austin, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT/Matlab
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: FX majors
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 768

Turtleman21 View Post
sefstrat -- I'm a rookie NT user and don't know much about what's under the hood, but your backup suggestion makes sense. What file(s) should I back up, just in case? So far I haven't had any problems, but you never know . . . .

Thanks.

I recommend backing up the entire My Documents/NinjaTrader directory however if you only want to back up the DB the file is My Docs/NinjaTrader/db/NinjaTrader.mdb

Thanked by:

cclsys 
Sydney, NS

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: TF,S,GC
Thanks Given: 248
Thanks Received: 393

I was just looking for Mirus email because NT informs me that you can't use Zenfire with 64 bit OS, and saw this email from August:

Introducing eSignal OnDemand - Mini Futures for Mirus Clients
eSignal Trading Platform Now Available