NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

tastyworks

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one suko with 10 posts (25 thanks)
    2. looks_two mscholder with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 LDog with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 nathanologist with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two suko with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 nathanologist with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 LDog with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,374 views
    2. thumb_up 43 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 33 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

tastyworks

nathanologist 
Burlington, Vermont

Experience: Beginner
Platform: StockTwits
Broker: Robinhood
Trading: ES, GC, ZB
Thanks Given: 879
Thanks Received: 781

suko View Post
They have another year or two to go of development before the platform gets the features everybody loves about TOS such as the Analyze tab and the scripting.

A couple of things TW does have built-in that TOS doesn't: 1) liquidity ratings 2) correlation scores. The liquidity score definitely affects your trade selection.

Agreed. not a huge fan of the new active trade GUI. but it's a start. It'll get better.

Nate
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TW TOS LiveVol
Broker: TD, TW, IB, Saxo
Trading: VXX, VIX, SPY
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 1,416

Rather than encouraging me to make more trades, I want a GUI that forces me to only take the A trades!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Here is a very slick options tracking spreadsheet for Tastyworks from Ben on the Research Team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KTlhVtHdVw54ge2WSXlcyeiaZFOpeTPUSGEiXXZfvHw/edit

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

suko 
Kyoto, Japan
Market Wizard

Futures rolled out on Tastyworks.

But no /VX futures. Bummed about that.

Thanked by:

LDog 
Lafayette, TN/USA

Platform: SC,TastyWorks,ToS
Broker: TDA, OANDA,AMP/CQG/SC
Trading: Looking for it/them
Thanks Given: 11,904
Thanks Received: 344

suko View Post
Futures rolled out on Tastyworks.

But no /VX futures. Bummed about that.

Looks like only Individual Margin accounts, so far - no ROTHs

(It's OK, I'm not 'ready' for that yet, anyway lol)

timefreedom 
Indianapolis, IN USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Custom
Broker: Several
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 226
Thanks Received: 381

I've heard they are using Apex to clear their trades. Not sure if that's true and haven't looked into it but would be curious if anyone knows for sure.

LDog 
Lafayette, TN/USA

timefreedom View Post
I've heard they are using Apex to clear their trades. Not sure if that's true and haven't looked into it but would be curious if anyone knows for sure.

For Stocks/Options, that's who my trades clear through in my Roth account - I think was the same with TDA/ToS, if I remember correctly. Not sure about Futures, sorry.

Thanked by:
 mscholder 
Incline Village + NV or elsewhere in the world

Platform: E*Trade, TOS, IB & T'wrks
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 28

I eagerly opened a Tastyworks (TW) account a few months ago to trade options thinking that the costs would be must lower than TOS and E-Trade Pro/Options House. Admittedly, I had confused the TW $5 equity trade costs and the options trade costs.

After six months of trading I tried to reconcile my trading journal results with my TW net liquidation balance. Then I saw that the commissions and fees impact was much higher than expected.

Unlike TOS and E-Trade Pro/Options House, the options commissions are not shown at the entry verification window on TW. TW claims to be working to add that component to the verification window.

Further, in comparing the same pending trade on the different platforms, I discovered that the options commission costs at TW for many trades were higher than the Options House costs, particularly if the options expire OTM, since TW essentially charges the round trip commissions up front. For example, the round trip costs to trade Costco options were much lower on Options House. I may get better pricing on Options House due to my portfolio balance at E-Trade.

Please compare the commission and fee costs on the different platforms on a few different option trades before deciding on which broker to use for a certain trade. Or you could end up like me, down $4k in commissions and $1k in fees after 7 months of trading in my TW account.

LDog 
Lafayette, TN/USA

I'm trading 1 lot spreads and buying OTM calls in a ROTH IRA account and am only seeing $1 commision + 14 - 15 cent fees on the open and the same fees on close (with no commision) ... dunno.

Edit: To be clear, it is $1 per contract so each spread has a total commission + fees of $2.30 to open.

I do wish they'd break it out for you - I have to look at the statement to see the effect of the commission and fees, but the Account Transactions to get the list of the fees.

mscholder 
Incline Village + NV or elsewhere in the world

Platform: E*Trade, TOS, IB & T'wrks
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 28

The majority of my trading has been swing and day trading in stocks so commissions were never a substantial concern.

I agree that the cost is $1 per contract with TW.

Everyone has their individual approach and "trading 1 lot spreads and buying OTM calls" may work for you. I have been trying to sell option premium to generate income with defined and undefined risk trades.

My 20 contract GLD iron condor trade with a profit target of $340 (50% of $680 max profit) before commissions and fees entered at 45 DTE, 56% PoP, has now incurred $240 in commissions with a couple of rolls. I am now just trying to break even on the trade. Perhaps it was a dumb trade to begin.

Options House is .50 per contract per transaction, so 1/2 the cost of TW if held to expiration or the same cost as TW if closed out.

For any Traders who are newer to Options, you should always be aware and consider the commission costs when looking to enter and roll sizable trades.

LDog View Post
I'm trading 1 lot spreads and buying OTM calls in a ROTH IRA account and am only seeing $1 commision + 14 - 15 cent fees on the open and the same fees on close (with no commision) ... dunno.

Edit: To be clear, it is $1 per contract so each spread has a total commission + fees of $2.30 to open.

I do with they'd break it out for you - I have to look at the statement to see the effect of the commission and fees, but the Account Transactions to get the list of the fees.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 2, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts