NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ES intraday 'swing' trader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one DaxyMcDaxFace with 333 posts (171 thanks)
    2. looks_two Paddy with 101 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 FGBLTrader with 35 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Zefi with 18 posts (20 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Zefi with 1.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FGBLTrader with 0.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DaxyMcDaxFace with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Paddy with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 61,788 views
    2. thumb_up 274 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 501 posts
    2. attach_file 119 attachments

Search this Thread

ES intraday 'swing' trader

DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 1,066
Thanks Received: 444

JohnS View Post
Good job with your trades! I look forward to learning more from your posting!

Thanks for the comment @JohnS, feel free to ask any questions.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

Hmm my charts are duplicated when i look via the app. Pretty sure they werent when previewed/posted on the pc.

Is that cos theyre embedded? Will check with admin later.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

for the lengthy and detailed response.

I get it now but did not understand before that you are discretionary. That changes a few specifics, but in general the process is the same. I too, go back and forth across method (meaning mechanical) and discretionary periods. This is something that I struggle with. I came to BMT to learn programing and find help with coding a few methods into a black (grey) box system. I have not given up on that but lacking specific attribute or consistent qualified help, it gets very frustrating.

Yeah man, you change or create a daily checklist however you need to to suit your best outcome. I see that you are building a stats based (evidence) model. That is exactly correct.

I have used atr based stops but again you recognize the faults and the dangers of laying out hard stops. I do not do that...rest limits or even server side stops at the broker. The mechanical system I was working on is constantly calculating stops and targets based on all kinds of incoming data. Then when appropriate a market order is generated to stop, adjust risk or take profit.

On taking loses...yeah I had to learn to love my losers and acknowledge that they are just a part of the process AND provide data that will refine dynamic entries...very very hard for a "floor" guy. Conversely, pressing winners was something that had to be learned because the out size position seemed more like risk than opportunity.

So it looks to me like the issue here is you...emotional response. Everything you laid out has the hall mark of someone that understands. What are you getting wrong, not seeing or responding badly too?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

....sooooo I just achieve double the subscribers (total now 2) and I find out the earth shattering news that theres a new ES thread for all types of traders....wth!

Just kidding, if for some odd reason you have come here and havent yet seen this thread, get over there now:

...it will be better than here.

Thanked by:
 DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

B/O of the 2148/2180 consol area.......

ETH knocking on the door to go higher after tight range so far, if it pulls back a little tempted to go long small size.

Edit: Dax/Europe stocks are dumping and pulling US down, so will leave.

Thanked by:
 DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

Hi Dan.....

wldman View Post
I have used atr based stops but again you recognize the faults and the dangers of laying out hard stops. I do not do that...rest limits or even server side stops at the broker. The mechanical system I was working on is constantly calculating stops and targets based on all kinds of incoming data. Then when appropriate a market order is generated to stop, adjust risk or take profit.

This is interesting, I have 2 other methods which I believe can be automated easily, I will check out your posts for more info. I really need to sort this out.

wldman View Post
On taking loses...yeah I had to learn to love my losers and acknowledge that they are just a part of the process AND provide data that will refine dynamic entries...very very hard for a "floor" guy

I hear you, have a few ex floor (LIFFE) friends and some have had similar difficulties. Also they not used to not having free money whent hey used to be able to buy the bid and sell the offer!

wldman View Post
So it looks to me like the issue here is you...emotional response. Everything you laid out has the hall mark of someone that understands. What are you getting wrong, not seeing or responding badly too?

Good question and yes, emotional response is right. I am fearful of making excuses - its for me to work out and this journal hopefully will help, but it could be a combo which I have alluded to before...

~FOMO - I traded prior using DOM, itchy finger plus years of TA reading means its very easy for me to justify an entry
~low confidence in method (not enough fwd testing). This is a step in right direction - in a more accountable envt.
~frustration - being right but stopped out as too tight a stop or poor entry and taking too much heat. This may lead to revenge trade.
~accountability - I trade much better when I had someone to report to. Now I report to myself, learning the self discipline part. And posting my pnl/trades here will help.

As mentioned these dont happen daily - but enough to hit pnl. Structure hopefully helps, talking to ppl eg you also hammers it home.

I will provide some examples at later date. A cpl of weeks ago I gave back days target from having too much risk on a late trade, it was a setup but the RR was poor, and I averaged down to where RR was then great & where entry 1 shld have been but I was full size and it now stunk. Boom.

Thanks again for your time.

DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

DaxyMcDaxFace View Post
I am done for the day, my target isn't absolute ~10-20pts a day trading 1-3 lots:

Trade 1 - long (2 lot) early into open looking for bounce off vwap (far too early), poor entry bailed for -3pts.

Trade 2 - short (2) 2200s v low r/r (Prev high - 3 ticks) tick div +7, target was 94 - was very mindful of the 96 level which held, but never really retraced - was keen to put back on as was A_down by this time. Maybe if I had full size on would have left a runner.

Trade 3 - long (2) 2192.50 great entry sold 2196.75 +8.5.

And a cpl of actual scalps. 1 worked v well (it was a reload effectively for a swing) but again only 1 lot and took off at first trouble area, too hasty.

Take it easy people.

Taking a look at HTF trade 3 (1st red arrow, exit green) and then reload at 2nd red arrow how dumb am I to take this off at day vwap (the reload that is)? This HTF imo shouts out day high test at least. Note to self - need ot look at HTF whilst managing position.

Thanked by:
 DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

I just took this long ES scalp (1 lot) @98.50 exited at ETH Vwap 2200.50 for 2 pts, and lost 0.5pts trying it earlier. My stop was below the low so RR 1:2.

The level was yest RTH vwap and prev support, the Dax/CL was dumping and yet this held strong with added vol, however I waited for Dax to turn and I cld still get long with decent RR.

I am quite pleased with this measured scalp.

Thanked by:
 Paddy 
florida

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS
Broker: TOS
Trading: ES, cl, options, gold, grains,nq,
Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Received: 176

DaxyMcDaxFace View Post
B/O of the 2148/2180 consol area.......

ETH knocking on the door to go higher after tight range so far, if it pulls back a little tempted to go long small size.

Edit: Dax/Europe stocks are dumping and pulling US down, so will leave.

I agree. There may be climactic top with very low volume. Here is a chart I took from another site

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 DaxyMcDaxFace 
London

pramadas View Post
I agree. There may be climactic top with very low volume. Here is a chart I took from another site

thats interesting - so its effectively saying big money guys have left the room - for now? Low volume can still take us very high fwiw.

from what website?

Last Updated on October 2, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts