NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Experience with hypnotherapy?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Gary with 16 posts (37 thanks)
    2. looks_two George with 10 posts (22 thanks)
    3. looks_3 aquarian1 with 8 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 7 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AkLio with 5.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Gary with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 George with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 38,664 views
    2. thumb_up 158 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 119 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Experience with hypnotherapy?

larry10009 
new york , ny

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: multicharts, ninja
Broker: infinity/esignal
Trading: es, eur/usd
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I know and believe hypnosis works. In fact, as a teenage, a parlor room hypnotist got me to lose lots of weight.
I was thinking of doing this too providing i could find someone i would be comfortable with. Then i would become a very successful trader and maintain good weight too.
Hope you find the right guy who is also reasonable. Do go for it and let us know

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

AkLio 
Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja 7
Broker: IB
Trading: 6E ES
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 69

TickVix

I've found that on the net, I don't even remember where...

Happy you like it ... not sure if it really work on confidence, but it's interesting to listen to...
at least it can make you relax, drug free

see ya

Lio

Zoethecus 
United States of America

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT

Gary, although this wasn't your intent, I thank you for giving the community yet another reason to auto-trade a system with a positive expectancy and shed the stress (and failure) that goes with discretionary trading .

No hypnotists, gurus, self help books or late night infomercial NLP CD sellers needed.

Here's wishing you all the best.

Gary 
Near Dallas, Texas, US

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ZenFire
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 502
Thanks Received: 2,239

Zoethecus View Post
Gary, although this wasn't your intent, I thank you for giving the community yet another reason to auto-trade a system with a positive expectancy and shed the stress (and failure) that goes with discretionary trading .

No hypnotists, gurus, self help books or late night infomercial NLP CD sellers needed.

Here's wishing you all the best.

Zoe,

If you have an automated trade system working consistently for a decent period of time, more power to you! - I didn't spend much time with the automation aspect, but I couldn't seem to get everything that goes into my discretionary trading into a automated strategy, even though I am only using a single MA, support/resistance, and range bars to make the majority of my decisions. I am thankful and happy for where I am in my trading career; just looking to take it to the next level, and believe at this point in my trading career, it is 99% psychological.

You seem to believe there is no such thing as profitable discretionary trading, and I beg to differ. You can visit my blog to see my results for the last 3 months, since I started my online public blog. And, while I am no where near the level of many profitable traders, I have been able to make a decent living while most days, only trading a few hours in the morning. This allows me the freedom to spend time with my family; something which is more valuable than anything else to me. For me the focus is not on the money, but on what the money gives me, more time to do the things I want to do. My discretionary trading system gives me exactly that. There are also other discretionary traders out there who post results publicly. (Protrader Ed is one who comes to mind)

I am not knocking automated trading strategies. Again, if you have one which does what you need it to do, and is consistently profitable, with a draw down you and your account can handle, that is great! I spent some time working with Big Mike on a number of automated strategies, and I guess we weren't good enough to find one like you apparently have found/created.

Keep in mind, my belief is the with some of the self help books, gurus, hypnotherapy, NLP, etc; I can benefit far more than just in the trading aspect of my life. And, because of that belief, I have, and will benefit from these types of things. If you do not believe they will work for you, then they won't. I easily get back more than I give when it comes to spending time on these things.

One last question, do you have or have you shared the results or the details on your automated trading system? If yes, please share the link where I can see more. It is always encouraging to see a system which is working, and I can always stand to learn more in areas like this. I still have a decent bit of 'down time' until the kids are out of school every day where I can spare a little time to 'edumacate' myself. I have been loosely following the thread on Hurley automated, but it seems this very much still in the 'beta' phase unless I am reading incorrectly.

Thank you for the best wishes. I hope you have a great weekend as well and wish you continued success with your automated trading system.

Gary

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Gary,

The bottom line is really simple. The only thing that really matters at the end of the day is what works for YOU. If Zoe is successful in automation, more power to him (although why is he replying to this thread?). If you are successful in discretionary trading and feel you can improve your trading with the aid of hypnotherapy, more power to you for doing so.

Since Zoe did bring up automation -- in my experience, of which I have quite a bit , traders tend to run to automation as a cure for their shortcomings as a discretionary trader. I've been there, done that. I've seen it over and over in others, too. For me personally, I feel fortunate I broke the cycle and returned to being a discretionary trader. All the time and energy I was spending on the never ending tweaking of settings and indicator values, and optimizations... it hurts to think about. Naturally, the only thing that really matters at the end of the day is what works for YOU. For me, automation was almost like an addiction. I was consumed by it, having so many systems, so many indicators, tweaking settings, using four computers to backtest on, etc. Ridiculous. I'm not Goldman Sachs. To make things worse I was using NinjaTrader, so the results were pretty worthless anyway. One day I woke up. It was like deciding to quit drugs and then committing to it with all your energy. It felt good to move on. I feel like automation is a short-cut for many. There are no short-cuts in trading.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off topic by responding to Zoe...

I feel like you are 100% doing the right thing, and in fact I am very interested in doing it myself. I am not a perfect trader, such a thing doesn't exist. I know my strengths and weaknesses. I know what causes my heart rate to elevate and when I tend to make stupid decisions. While I try to overcome these obstacles on my own through mental training and discipline and experience, I welcome having a professional help me.

In my eyes, a hypnotherapist is just like a personal fitness trainer. One is for your mind, one is for your body. Trading is not about brute force. More is not better. That is why I think so much of what determines profitability is directly controlled from within your mind, and happens without you consciously making decisions.

Anyway, I'm rambling and quite tired. I should have gone to bed already I hope you'll share your experience and your journey with the hypnotherapy.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Eric j 
NY

Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

I havent personally tried hypnotherapy but have witnessed someone that quit smoking after being hypnotised . They smoked like a chimney for years , tried various treatments without success , then went under hypnosis and havent smoked in 3 years . They claim that they dont even have urges anymore but I suspect that hypnosis combined with a building will to quit did the trick for them .

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

If this is true, hypnosis is extremely dangerous. Imagine that your hypnotherapist abuses her powers on you and after hypnosis you are the only vegetarian member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Eric j View Post
I havent personally tried hypnotherapy but have witnessed someone that quit smoking after being hypnotised . They smoked like a chimney for years , tried various treatments without success , then went under hypnosis and havent smoked in 3 years . They claim that they dont even have urges anymore but I suspect that hypnosis combined with a building will to quit did the trick for them .

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Fat Tails View Post
If this is true, hypnosis is extremely dangerous. Imagine that your hypnotherapist abuses her powers on you and after hypnosis you are the only vegetarian member of the Ku Klux Klan.

I don't agree with that.

I think hypnosis is only going to work when it is already in the right general direction of what you are trying to accomplish. I don't think a hypnotist can tell you to go walk in front of a train whenever you really, really don't want to do that. Besides, from what I understand, you are fully awake and can stop the session at any time. Their job is to get you mentally prepared and focused, and to do so they help get you into a calm and relaxed state. You aren't "under".

I've been reading Mark Douglas Trading in the Zone. He uses this example about a million times (too much in fact) about how a boy gets bitten by a dog. Then he grows up fearing that ALL dogs are dangerous.

Let's say that the boy is now a man. He knows all dogs are indeed not dangerous, but yet he is unable to get his body to do what he wants -- which is to go interact with a dog. He is overcome by fear, traumatized by what happened to him as a child.

I believe hypnosis in this example is similar to what Gary is trying to accomplish. Gary knows what he wants to do in certain situations in trades. But he's found that sometimes his subconscious overpowers his will or desire and he makes decisions he doesn't really want to make.

If a hypnotist comes in and works with the man (who was the boy) afraid of dogs, I think that could be the extra help the man needs to reach out and finally interact with a dog. Same is true for Gary. Once your mind builds these new connections, you will begin to disassociate the bad feelings that existed previously that caused you to react negatively to the situation, even though in your conscious mind you were trying to do the right thing.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

Fat Tails View Post

I'm not an expert, but have done some hypnosis session with friends, when I was younger, during parties, just for fun, and in fact you can't force someone to do what he's really don't want to do.
And it's not dangerous, sometimes I found the guys was a bit hard to get out this hypnosis state, but I've always been able to let them get back to a normal state, 100% awake.
I've hear about one case, a guy has done self-hypnosis, and didn't get back to a normal state, and it has been very hard to get awake, but I don't know if it's a true story.
When I was using self-hypnosis, I didn't have any problem like this.

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

When I was younger, I tried some sort of meditation, but I do not understand what is self-hypnotization, and how it is different from meditation.

Actually I am sort of seeing a guy sitting in front of a mirror redirecting his energy towards himself until he is hypnotized.... sorry for this picture.

sam028 View Post
When I was using self-hypnosis, I didn't have any problem like this.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 22, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts