NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What is tape reading ??

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 9 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two samur2000 with 8 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Heph333 with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Portland with 5 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Portland with 1.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Heph333 with 1.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 KahunaDog with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 0.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,634 views
    2. thumb_up 19 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 33 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

What is tape reading ??

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,447
Thanks Received: 15,291

Heph333 View Post
Sounds like inside bid/offer being confused with last price. The inside bid or offer can change without any trades being executed. But last price is by definition a trade that was made between a buyer and seller.

Yes, my point exactly.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

johny1971 
Omaha, NE/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: S5 Trader; Jigsaw; TOS
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: ZN
Thanks Given: 221
Thanks Received: 105

Portland View Post
In my experience, reading Price Action is more reliable then T&S. Watching the T&S can be very deceiving, but Price never lies. It's objective data. However, it can also depend on the particular market. For example, it's much easier for me to trade off the CL T&S then the ES T&S (which I mostly ignore).

If you day trade equities like your profile suggests, unfortunately I wouldn't have any idea what to look for because I don't have experience with those.

I have just begun as well. And reading the ES DOM during market hours seems impossible, there are just so many numbers moving so fast and it is hard to see what numbers are moving where, i.e. flow. But, price action seems pretty subjective too and it seems the market eats up subjectivity. So, for some reason, I put my faith, for now, in learning both and getting to a point where I can get to understand the ES. For what it is worth, I am also interested in Market Profile (thinking of using Sierra Chart for this) and moving average crossovers on the minute, three or five minute charts.

So, I have four areas to look into. PA and TS first, then Market Profile. These all seem to be a more efficient way to read the market as they are closer to to primary source then, say, most TA.

Any feed back would be great! Thanks.

Heph333 
Springfield, MO/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Jigsaw
Broker: AMP CQG
Trading: ZN, ZB
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 88

johny1971 View Post
I have just begun as well. And reading the ES DOM during market hours seems impossible, there are just so many numbers moving so fast and it is hard to see what numbers are moving where, i.e. flow. But, price action seems pretty subjective too and it seems the market eats up subjectivity. So, for some reason, I put my faith, for now, in learning both and getting to a point where I can get to understand the ES. For what it is worth, I am also interested in Market Profile (thinking of using Sierra Chart for this) and moving average crossovers on the minute, three or five minute charts.

So, I have four areas to look into. PA and TS first, then Market Profile. These all seem to be a more efficient way to read the market as they are closer to to primary source then, say, most TA.

Any feed back would be great! Thanks.

ES is more difficult to read order flow than a thicker market like Notes or bonds. ZN is the easiest IMO. ES is difficult. CL and Gold are nearly impossible for me.

If you are just starting, it may be a good idea to watch ZN & ZB along with UB (Ultrabond). They will move together with ZN being very slow and the order flow obvious. ZB slightly more volatile, but the order flow being readable still. UB is unreadable for me, but would move more like ES. If you can watch the order flow in the slower ZN ZB markets and use the direct correlation with UB, you could learn to see order flow in all market conditions. Not only will it help you learn order flow in general, but you will be learning to trade changing market volatility at the same time.

You may find that you just stick with the Treasury products. IMO they offer the best value in commission vs tick. I've made the switch to ZN & ZB exclusively and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. it all depends on what works for you.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 msemryck 
Denver, CO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: AMP, Rithmic
Trading: GC, ES
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 111

Heph333 View Post
ES is more difficult to read order flow than a thicker market like Notes or bonds. ZN is the easiest IMO. ES is difficult. CL and Gold are nearly impossible for me.

If you are just starting, it may be a good idea to watch ZN & ZB along with UB (Ultrabond). They will move together with ZN being very slow and the order flow obvious. ZB slightly more volatile, but the order flow being readable still. UB is unreadable for me, but would move more like ES. If you can watch the order flow in the slower ZN ZB markets and use the direct correlation with UB, you could learn to see order flow in all market conditions. Not only will it help you learn order flow in general, but you will be learning to trade changing market volatility at the same time.

You may find that you just stick with the Treasury products. IMO they offer the best value in commission vs tick. I've made the switch to ZN & ZB exclusively and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. it all depends on what works for you.

I couldn't agree more

Last Updated on March 5, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts