NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

NinjaTrader or Multicharts

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one MultiCharts with 10 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 8 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 NLD1888 with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 program with 5 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MultiCharts with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 53,623 views
    2. thumb_up 76 thanks given
    3. group 36 followers
    1. forum 113 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

NinjaTrader or Multicharts

timefreedom 
Indianapolis, IN USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Custom
Broker: Several
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 226
Thanks Received: 381

billr View Post
Could you elaborate on the better options? Backtesting is not my primary interest, but finding a good platform for that would be good.

To re-state my point. I would like to know why backtesting isn't approached the same way as market replay. I can certainly imagine why a programmer/software developer would prefer doing it in a way that takes advantage of program efficiencies. (I assume that's what's happening) But from a trader point of view, why would you subject your strategy development to a model that is anything less accurate than market replay? (I acknowledge that broadstroke analysis or larger time frame trading is less sensitive to this distinction, but still, if it can be done with more accuracy, it should be.)

In my discussions with MC, I got the impression that their backtesting does in fact calculate as a market replay. But reading this thread indicates I may be wrong about that.

Thanks.

Hi Bill,
First, my disclaimer: I have personally never been involved or interested in back-testing. That said, you are somewhat in luck because I know that @Big Mike, as well as some other frequent posters do (or did) back test their trading ideas on a regular basis. I'd highly recommend getting their input before investing in any back-testing application, rather than taking a suggestion from me - someone who could care less about back testing results from any approach. (Markets are dynamic, they change, what worked yesterday is not important to me.) And with that disclaimer, here is one suggestion that you might wish to pursue: Trading Blox . I will also recommend ThinkorSwim. It is one of the platforms that I use, and recommend. Although I do not utilize their backtesting features, they certainly provide a nice set - especially if you have any interest in back-testing your ideas on derivatives. Good luck.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Bookworm 
Long Island, NY

Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, index options and futures/futures options
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 198

MultiCharts View Post
MultiCharts DT is a free quality product that a team of 40 people spent 6 years creating - all we ask for giving it away is that you tell others about it. If you don't like it, or the Facebook requirement - nobody is forcing you to use the product.

That is the kind of attitude that eliminates any chance of my becoming a paying customer.

Thanked by:

supermht 
Naperville IL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: NT broker
Trading: NQ ES 6E GC CL
Thanks Given: 1,189
Thanks Received: 661

Bookworm View Post
That is the kind of attitude that eliminates any chance of my becoming a paying customer.

as a vendor, multichart's attitude is rude. I will keep using ninjatrader

program 
CA USA

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: DDT+land/Rithmic/IQ
Trading: S&P500,6E,YM
Thanks Given: 127
Thanks Received: 64

whats more important, the software or the people behind it???

I am new to trading and I'm deciding which to use as well.
i have absolutely no coding ability yet, so it seems to me that MC would be the easy winner because of PL. I have used MCDT and NT, however I've used NT much more frequently because of there support here on futures.io (formerly BMT). futures.io (formerly BMT) is awesome, and people here are the real ones behind the product IMHO. I think most software companies would do well to remember that...

Side Note: I personally dislike facebook. Being required to hit the "like" button leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But that's there business prerogative. If it works for them...

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

I feel compelled to say that one of the main reasons I switched from NT 6.5 to MultiCharts a couple years ago was because of the developers (on both sides). The MC developers really impressed me, and the NT developers really disappointed me.

While I don't agree with some of @MultiCharts recent posts or some of their recent decisions (Facebook requirement), I do still think they have a superior development process and more stable and efficient product. I base this on my own direct experience of using NT for 2 years, then MC for 2 years.

I also really appreciate their Project Management site (a request I made to Dennis, and they ended up implementing), as I like the idea of knowing in an organized matter if others are experiencing problems that I may experience, and what the upcoming features will likely look like (as people vote them up/down).

It seems to me that the MCDT product was a lot more work than MultiCharts had anticipated initially, and they are quite defensive about "their baby" which is somewhat understandable.

In the end, now that MultiCharts has discretionary trading, what it means is more competition in the platform world. More competition against NinjaTrader, more against TradeStation, more against everyone else. And that is better for the trader, much much better.

So to answer the original question "NinjaTrader or MultiCharts", well like trading their are no black and white answers. Just lots of gray. It all depends on your exact needs and what kind of trader you are. Best to download a trial of each and make your own decisions.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

ddouglas
New York, NY

Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 70

Talk about hypersensitivity - geez. What are you guys reading into MC's comments that I'm not seeing?

Paraphrase: "developed a good product, gave away a free version, if you don't wanna use it, don't use it"

What's wrong with that? What would you have said differently if you were in their shoes?

Keep in mind, they originally came on here to ASK your opinion on what they could do to improve the product and meet traders' needs better than their competition.

How is that bad attitude? That's something I personally appreciate. (& I don't recall ever seeing NT do that . . ).

Bookworm 
Long Island, NY

Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, index options and futures/futures options
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 198

By now if someone has not joined Facebook then they have a pretty good reason for it, like not wanting to open their life to a company that just had to settle with the government for violating the privacy of their users. Demanding that someone now join to use their product seems rude to me. If MCDT has become a burden then just say so and charge a fair price for it but don't make it a requirement to have to do something that is obviously repellant to many people.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

Quoting 
MultiCharts DT is a free quality product that a team of 40 people spent 6 years creating - all we ask for giving it away is that you tell others about it. If you don't like it, or the Facebook requirement - nobody is forcing you to use the product.

Not sure i understand the marketing strategy. Let suppose i am not a Facebook member and would like to download the free version of MC. I would need to create an account on Facebook but since i am a new member i have obviously no friend so how that would help Multichart to spread the words about their product. If the registration process forces me to add at least one friend then i could add a fake friend and still that would not help Multichart become known. Now, let's suppose i am already a registered Facebook member but no one of my friends are traders in what way this would help Mutlichart in terms of visibility.

timefreedom 
Indianapolis, IN USA

Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Custom
Broker: Several
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 226
Thanks Received: 381

ddouglas View Post
Talk about hypersensitivity - geez. What are you guys reading into MC's comments that I'm not seeing?

Paraphrase: "developed a good product, gave away a free version, if you don't wanna use it, don't use it"

What's wrong with that? What would you have said differently if you were in their shoes?

Keep in mind, they originally came on here to ASK your opinion on what they could do to improve the product and meet traders' needs better than their competition.

How is that bad attitude? That's something I personally appreciate. (& I don't recall ever seeing NT do that . . ).

They came on here to drum up business. Unfortunately for them, NinjaTrader has a better product, more market share, bigger customer base, better customer relations, much better development environment, etc.

Thanked by:

Larry
Montreal

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 45

trendisyourfriend View Post
Not sure i understand the marketing strategy. Let suppose i am not a Facebook member and would like to download the free version of MC. I would need to create an account on Facebook but since i am a new member i have obviously no friend so how that would help Multichart to spread the words about their product. If the registration process forces me to add at least one friend then i could add a fake friend and still that would not help Multichart become known. Now, let's suppose i am already a registered Facebook member but no one of my friends are traders in what way this would help Mutlichart in terms of visibility.

Well said, when I decided to look for new software to daytrade about 4 years ago, Ninjatrader was the best option available to me and it was free as long as I was not trading from the charts or the Superdom. I was able to use all the trading skills I had from that platform as it had almost everything I ever dreamed of, then I went to the next level and rewarded them by buying a lifetime license as everything I need for daytrading has been developped for that software so luckily for me I don't have to look at anything else.

Also people might find it weird but I have no Facebook account and don't expect in the near future to get one, I also don't have a smartphone just plain old cell that I use occasionnaly as I don't need more then that. Of course I have a PC with 5 monitors for my trading and another one with 2 monitors for back up.

So which software is best, I would say the one that seems to gives you the best options for your trading, again this all depends on what you are looking for or think you might need to become a succesfull trader and this part is the one that is less obvious when you are in the learning process.

P.S. I am just glad this is all behind me now.

Last Updated on October 7, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts