NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

James Dalton Intensive 2016

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Blash with 8 posts (15 thanks)
    2. looks_two Macan with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 CenFlo with 6 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 halperin with 5 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one matthew28 with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two NGtrader with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 CenFlo with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Blash with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,633 views
    2. thumb_up 80 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 34 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

View Poll Results: Have you taken Dalton's intensives previously?
Yes, and I'm advising you to take it 17 24.64%
Yes, and I'm advising you to take it
17 24.64%
Yes, and I'm advising you not to take it 3 4.35%
Yes, and I'm advising you not to take it
3 4.35%
No 49 71.01%
No
49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

James Dalton Intensive 2016

Macan 
Stockholm Sweden

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra chart
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 40
Thanks Received: 53

matthew28 View Post
I did an Intensive last year and found it very interesting and helpful. You have probably been watching his recent set of six webinars to promote the Intensive (recordings here Recorded Webinars Archives - J Dalton Trading ). The webinars titled 'Pre-opening Comments and Early Trade' are very similar to what you will experience during the webinars. Julia's additional more introductory webinars for the Intensive sign-ups are useful too. You will get the Dalton Signature Trades Worksheet which is good but basic. But then the Profile is a basic tool. What you won't get is a green light red light entry exit system which sometimes you can feel is what some people who sign up for the webinars are after. You also never see a trading DOM and him buying and selling which is what people tend to want to see in live trading rooms for example.
What he does do is talk a lot about context and deciding whether the market is telling you you want to be long or short or that nothing is actually happening and to step aside and avoid the chop which is really the only thing that matters. He will also talk about setups from the Signature Trades Worksheet if they occur, such as 'if price fails on this breakout lower and comes back in to range, depending on the type of timeframe trader you are, you could get long here with. If price goes back down with volume to make a new low that will invalidate the trade but if it doesn't then the ultimate target should be this weak/poor high, prominent POC etc. He tends to aim for two or three trades a day where as Julia talks about say half a dozen. But you will never hear either of them say 'okay everybody I am buying 2010 now...' You will hear Julia saying things like 'One of our attendees, a prop trader from New York just bought the failed breakout of the overnight low' and then Jim Dalton might talk about that being a very good trade for those that are nimble but not good for slightly longer timeframe traders. Also apparently when Brett Steenbarger was teaching institutional traders he only had one book that was required reading and that was one of Dalton's.
Anyway so the long and the short of it is it king of depends what you expect or want. In all honesty you could probably get the same knowledge from reading his books and watching the dozens of free recorded webinars but the value comes from being able to ask questions about specific things you don't understand. especially if you adopt their methodology for analysing the markets and do it each morning then compare it to their written reports and can then ask about any differences. Also you can trade all day with the live one way chat comments and then compare what you saw that day with the next days premarket analysis.
I thought it was worthwhile but as with all things, it sounds easy in the room but when you try it yourself it suddenly feels alot more ambiguous. But then a lot of trading is about accepting the ambiguity and thinking in terms of probability, echoed by Steenbarger. It is good information but still requires a lot of work afterwards in carrying on learning and applying the knowledge. There was somebody on this forum who's name I forget who clearly did the same intensive I did because he started a journal staright after the Intensive finished and posted all his premarket analysis which was excellent, but he wasn't around for long as the results didn't fall his way. You still have to be able to do the analysis live of what the market is telling you and whether it is confirming on cancelling your early hypotheses and be able to adjust accordingly. It also isn't going to stop you getting nervous and missing trades after a couple of losses or revenge trading or cutting your winners short etc etc. So good information and I am glad I did it but it is still only the first rung, but mixing my metaphors, a good solid trading foundation that could be used to trade successfully, but there will still be an awful lot of independent work required to carry on up the ladder.
I think I have repeated myself a few times as I have just mind-dumped on to the page, but I hope you get the gist of my thoughts.

Thank you, this was that kind of answer I was looking for!
I've been around long enough to know that whatever course or mentor there always comes hardwork afterwards but that of course isn't an issue at all because I treat trading like a business. I did actually bought the course and I'm hoping that I will be efficient with the thought process of analysing the market live just as Dalton is doing.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

Thanks.
I hope you find it an enjoyable and beneficial learning experience.

Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Experience: None
Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, S5T, IQFeed
Trading: The one I'm creating in the present....Index Futures mini/micro, ZF
Thanks Given: 7,341
Thanks Received: 4,518

matthew28 View Post
But then a lot of trading is about accepting the ambiguity and thinking in terms of probability, echoed by Steenbarger.

Wonderful post. I'm curious about how others go about finding their probabilities. I use Excel and Pivot tables and at least 10 years of data and hunt for probabilities ~>60% for different things like ONH ONL Gap VPOC VAH VAL etc.

Ron

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Macan 
Stockholm Sweden

I'm really happy with the content that Dalton is teaching and i've learned a lot just by appying what i've read however, I think there is too much focus on answering all the questions. I wished he could commentary his thoughts when the market is moving and not answering bunch of questions... 95% of the time he is just answering questions.

Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Macan View Post
I'm really happy with the content that Dalton is teaching and i've learned a lot just by appying what i've read however, I think there is too much focus on answering all the questions. I wished he could commentary his thoughts when the market is moving and not answering bunch of questions... 95% of the time he is just answering questions.

Tell him that as sincere feedback?

Ron

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
 Macan 
Stockholm Sweden

I will do that. Am I the only one who feels that it's Q&A 90% of the time?

Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

@LoneWolfTrader is currently in this Intensive and sent me this video related to another Intensive Mr Dalton had in the past. Here it is. Has value IMHO......

Ron

halperin 
atlanta

Platform: sierra
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 58
Thanks Received: 205

I'm interested to hear what anyone thinks who is in the current or past intensives. he trades very differently then how most people do here in the spoo thread. Uses way less info, no vix, no tick etc.

CenFlo 
Tampa FL

Platform: TOS/TradingView
Broker: TDA
Trading: Equities/Cryptos
Thanks Given: 830
Thanks Received: 960

I took the 1st intensive and I'm currently in the 2nd one that's happening right now.

It's helped me quite a bit as an /ES trader and you can apply much of what is learned to other futures and financial instruments.

It's not a trading "system" it's more based on how to read + interpret the Market Profile and understand what's happening in the market.

I personally have greatly improved my trading in all aspects and I've become much more patient when it comes to trading. I force the trades much less and I keep myself out of trouble.

I agree with the earlier comment that there are a lot of questions, but I tend to learn by observation and listening in to what other people are asking Jim and trying to answer the ? (to myself) before he does.

I've also been able to apply much of what I've learned/been learning and when to trade other instruments (mainly equity options) based on what the markets are doing from day to day / trend to trend.

Taking the 2nd part of the intensive has really reinforced what I've learned in the 1st intensive. My only regret is that I waited so long to take the training.

It's not cheap, but it's the equivalent of one good (or not having one bad trade) and I can personally tell you that the cost of the training has, for me, already been paid for multiple times over.

I've always traded alone and on my own, so I've never had a mentor in the sense of someone else teaching me. I've learned what I do know by experience. The market can be a harsh and expensive teacher.

In closing, it's made me focus much more and let trades come to me as opposed to chasing the market with often less than desirable results.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

CenFlo View Post
I took the 1st intensive and I'm currently in the 2nd one that's happening right now.

It's helped me quite a bit as an /ES trader and you can apply much of what is learned to other futures and financial instruments.

It's not a trading "system" it's more based on how to read + interpret the Market Profile and understand what's happening in the market.

I personally have greatly improved my trading in all aspects and I've become much more patient when it comes to trading. I force the trades much less and I keep myself out of trouble.

I agree with the earlier comment that there are a lot of questions, but I tend to learn by observation and listening in to what other people are asking Jim and trying to answer the ? (to myself) before he does.

I've also been able to apply much of what I've learned/been learning and when to trade other instruments (mainly equity options) based on what the markets are doing from day to day / trend to trend.

Taking the 2nd part of the intensive has really reinforced what I've learned in the 1st intensive. My only regret is that I waited so long to take the training.

It's not cheap, but it's the equivalent of one good (or not having one bad trade) and I can personally tell you that the cost of the training has, for me, already been paid for multiple times over.

I've always traded alone and on my own, so I've never had a mentor in the sense of someone else teaching me. I've learned what I do know by experience. The market can be a harsh and expensive teacher.

In closing, it's made me focus much more and let trades come to me as opposed to chasing the market with often less than desirable results.

What is the cost if you could please?

Ron

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts