NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Brexit 101

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 267 posts (374 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 80 posts (150 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jtrade with 76 posts (126 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rory with 43 posts (67 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jtrade with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rory with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 263,604 views
    2. thumb_up 1,299 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 774 posts
    2. attach_file 64 attachments

Search this Thread

Brexit 101

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,206

I was in England last weekend and based upon several conversations I t seems to me the Brexit vote is pretty divided on age. The old are pro-Brexit and the young anti-exit.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,487
Thanks Received: 15,383

"European history may be about to go into reverse.

If Britain votes to leave the European Union, it will likely start a process of fragmentation of the political and security structures on which the post-World War Two and post-Cold War European order was built.

Even if the British step back from the brink on Thursday, the bruising legacy of the debate, the growing trend of national referendums on EU issues and the backlash against globalization and internationalized elites on both sides of the Atlantic will not fade away any time soon. "

Full article on Reuters

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Experience: None
Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, S5T, IQFeed
Trading: The one I'm creating in the present....Index Futures mini/micro, ZF
Thanks Given: 7,341
Thanks Received: 4,518

xplorer View Post
"European history may be about to go into reverse.

If Britain votes to leave the European Union, it will likely start a process of fragmentation of the political and security structures on which the post-World War Two and post-Cold War European order was built.

Even if the British step back from the brink on Thursday, the bruising legacy of the debate, the growing trend of national referendums on EU issues and the backlash against globalization and internationalized elites on both sides of the Atlantic will not fade away any time soon. "

Full article on Reuters

Thanks for the article.

It seems clear to me as a people on this rotating orbiting smallish planet we are better, stronger and will be ultimately wiser when we come together and the opposite divided. I can perceive mankind currently in its adolescent period (era) where rebellion, angst and contempt for authority are its defining characteristics. The cusps of maturity is dawning but the time scale for these types of milestones for humanity are massive viewed from a historical perspective.

Ron

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Blash View Post
Thanks for the article.

It seems clear to me as a people on this rotating orbiting smallish planet we are better, stronger and will be ultimately wiser when we come together and the opposite divided. I can perceive mankind currently in its adolescent period (era) where rebellion, angst and contempt for authority are its defining characteristics. The cusps of maturity is dawning but the time scale for these types of milestones for humanity are massive viewed from a historical perspective.

Ron

I agree in general with the concept together = stronger.

Whether this is the case with the current referendum or not, remains to be seen.

Either way I think you're right: history will tell, in due course, whether whatever choice won made things better or worse...

Thanked by:

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

Last week the Leave campaign really seemed to be gaining ground and have the remain team in a spin, especially Labour ministers with Corbyn's luke warm enthusiasm for the EU.
I think the murder of Jo Cox has changed things dramatically though. There are those who are very firmly decided one way or another but an awful lot of people still haven't decided. When the man charged with the MP's murder stands up in court and gives his name as "death to traitors, freedom for Britain", I think a lot of 'normal' people will pause and wonder whether those are the sort of people they want to be associated with (despite the suspect Thomas Mair having a history of mental illness). Then Nigel Farage, of the UK Independence Party, who last week was looking respectable and leaderly while being courted by the media and appearing in debate programmes with the Prime Minister; suddenly unveils a new anti-immigration poster and is loudly denounced by both sides as showing his true racist colours again. (A bit like during the last election campaign when he was doing his 'personable one of the people' thing with genuine concerns, but suddenly started talking about foreign Aids sufferers coming to our country just to try and save their lives with our free health care).
Last week the rhetoric was being ramped up so much with both sides practically claiming armaggeddon if we leave or stay, and the Chancellor of the Exchequer in effect threatening to punish us with tax cuts, I can't imagine that I was alone in almost thinking that I would vote to leave just to say "F**k U" to the government and to see what would actually happen.
Now though with everybody taking a few calm breaths and the campaign carrying on more soberly I think we will be okay. Such a tragedy that somebody had to die though. RIP Jo Cox.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

matthew28 View Post
Last week the Leave campaign really seemed to be gaining ground and have the remain team in a spin [...] RIP Jo Cox.

I know what you are saying about perceptions changing because of a deranged person, and unfortunately it's probably going to be the case.

I say 'unfortunately' because that argument is an emotional one, and people do tend to decide with emotion, rather than with logic and facts.

I too have been nauseated with the amount of media pressure both camps have subjected us to. Osborne now looks to me just like a buffoon. The only thing left for him to say is something like "leaving the EU increases the risk of cancer".

Having said that, the fundamental problem remains, as I said before, that people do not have sufficient, objective facts to be able to make an informed decision on this issue.

It is exactly because both sides have distorted facts and spreaded BS all around, that I think most people are confused and don't really know what to do. Crying wolf has done way more harm than good.

When I opened this thread I was hoping people would chip in armed with hard data from an economical point of view, which would have helped understand both sides of the coin better. But I accept it's been a difficult task, what with the amount of misinformation going around.

In the end whatever happens happens. I am still convinced most people will opt for the status-quo though.

puma 
zurich

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra ahRrrr CQG ...
Trading: Bund, ES, ...
Thanks Given: 7,273
Thanks Received: 1,507

I assume the establishment elites will threaten to shoot voters dogs and boil their cats,
if they don't vote against brexit.

as the latest Speccie reports - the elites are already doing something close to that:

Quoting 
David Cameron, the Prime Minister, threatened pensioners who voted in the referendum for Britain to leave the EU: ‘If we leave, the pensioner benefits would be under threat, and the “triple lock” could no longer be guaranteed.’ He also said he might take away their ‘free bus passes and TV licences’, even though the latter are paid for by the BBC. George Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, said he would put up taxes if there was a vote to leave the EU, but 57 Tory MPs said they would vote against what they called a ‘punishment budget’.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

xplorer View Post
Having said that, the fundamental problem remains, as I said before, that people do not have sufficient, objective facts to be able to make an informed decision on this issue.

Agreed. In the end it will just come down to how one personally feels about the key issues of the economy or immigration.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Interesting article from The Guardian.

"The EU has given us cheap mobile phone roaming charges, cheaper flights and proper compensation when things go wrong. It has helped clean up the environment, improving our rivers and beaches. It has given us unprecedented freedom to travel visa-free across the continent. And I’m voting out.

Why? I know a painter/decorator who has not been able to raise his wages for 15 years. There’s always someone else, he says, willing to work for less. A driver who arrived from Turkey 18 years ago, who says the bus companies used to pay more than £12 an hour, but can now pay £10 or less because they have so many takers (and yes, the irony is noted). A care-home cleaner in a rundown seaside town who reckons her hopes of ever getting more than the minimum wage are zero. Each blames an influx of workers from the EU. Each of them are voting out. Tell them the EU protects workers’ rights and they just laugh."

Thanked by:
Rory

Thanks Given: 5,444
Thanks Received: 8,140

Well my (postal) vote is to remain, I see the argument about wages however if people have more money, prices are higher.

I recall very well the blessed relief everyone had when they could get an affordable Polish plumber. It was like inviting organised crime to your home (the same in Rep of Ireland) via the yellow pages before. Revenge pricing will arise fairly fast.

One only has to look here to see a wee problem? As resources become more stretched I feel organisation needs to improve not fragment. But I also feel as traffic congestion increases cars should be made to drive faster not slower so I may have a screw loose.

Overall it seems like the plot of the Angry Birds movie. Pigs Vs Angry Birds. Ok that I keep expecting to see Nigel Farage's tongue lick his eyeball does not help me listen to his lizard people argument. Similarly George Osbourne is a revolting boor as with many others.

My two reasons:
a. I recall my friends from Croatia (years after) in London describing a state of absolute shock as their middle class lives went from in hindsight, relative paradise in Yugoslavia, to the nightmare of active war seemingly overnight and out of the blue. They never believed it could possibly happen and so quickly. The same time I had to go to Congo/Rwanda to rescue my Tutsi friends in 1994 who were similarly feeling very WTF?. A few weeks I will never forget and was fortunate to survive (thanks Bill, but still anyone but Trump).

b. The EU has pigs in a trough of gravy for sure but fueled by greater negotiating powers many greedy sods in England will get bigger and fatter anyway so the moral indignation won't change. China has big pigs, Russia has big pigs, the USA has really big pigs and so does the EU. I have traveled the world and the EU is (all caps) massively the best place to live of the large global federations regardless of deficiencies.

My moving to Colombia (sort of) was mostly down to a desire for a fresh experience rather than lack of opportunity back home.

Its a complex issue, everyone must vote with their head and heart. That it can get a lot worse may seem a bad argument but devil-you-know is a rational response. I have some faith in the EU recognizing it has to dial back some of the nonsense.

Last Updated on September 27, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts