NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 103 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two WoodyFox with 46 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 37 posts (57 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Grodon with 28 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pariah Carey with 3.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 109,700 views
    2. thumb_up 857 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 558 posts
    2. attach_file 34 attachments

Search this Thread

Yet another mass shooting

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

phantomtrader View Post
I don't think that would work as long as we have open borders. It would just be another business opportunity for illegal smuggling across the southern border.

Sorry but actually I think you will find the opposite is true. Guns are smuggled from the US to Mexico. Here in Houston, TX which is 350 miles from the Mexican Border, there have been several big stories on this. One of the key sources of guns in some of those stories is a store about 2 miles from me. A quick google search for "us mexico gun smuggling" returns top results like
  • estimates are more than 200,000 firearms every year trafficked from the U.S. to Mexico
  • Between 70 to 90 percent of guns recovered at crime scenes in Mexico can be traced back to the U.S

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

Interesting story in the WSJ

Schools Face Increase in Gun Confiscations, Shootings and Hoaxes
https://www.wsj.com/articles/schools-face-increase-in-gun-confiscations-shootings-and-hoaxes-11665057602

I suspect this is probably one of the extreme examples
In Rock Hill, S.C., authorities recently recovered guns at three schools on three consecutive days, including at a middle school where police say a 14-year-old boy pulled a handgun on a fellow student. According to police, the 14-year-old student was involved in a fist fight in a school bathroom when a gun fell out of his pants. The youth picked up the gun and pointed it at a student, sending his classmates fleeing, police said.
and
Far more guns have turned up in U.S. schools during the first two months of this school year compared with recent years, according to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive, which tracks news accounts and police reports. The archive documented more than 220 gun seizures in August and September across 35 states, up from 128 in the same period last year and 132 in 2019. Many schools were remote in fall 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
and while less dangerous, this is a concerning trend.
As real incidents have gone up, so have fake ones. Schools nationwide are contending with a rash of so-called swatting, or hoax 911 calls about bogus active shooters, said the National Association of School Resource Officers. Since Sept. 9, the nonprofit group said, it has tracked reports of swatting incidents in at least 17 states and the District of Columbia.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

Pariah Carey View Post
What good will more legislation do? The only people who abide by laws are...law abiding people. People who are bent on committing crime don't care about laws. High velocity lead is a much more effective deterrent to someone trying to kill you than any law.

Everyone talks about mass shootings but no one talks about the much more prevalent violent crime in America, which is inner city, black-on-black crime, usually the result of drug deals or gang affiliation.

In order to stop crazy people before they go on a rampage, what would be the standard and who decides it? Are we going to go back to involuntary commitment? More importantly though, how do you find them before it happens? Are people ready to erode not only gun rights but also privacy rights and due process? Lots of slippery slopes here.

Gun control is but a feel-good, Band-Aid solution to a much more complex issue.

Hahahaha

You just proved the point the last post made!

I like things like statistics and science.

...AND I thank god everday I live where I do, where i don't have to carry a gun BECAUSE NEITHER DOES MY CRAZY NEIGHBOR.

I will leave it at that.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

Sandpaddict View Post
Hahahaha

You just proved the point the last post made!

I like things like statistics and science.

...AND I thank god everday I live where I do, where i don't have to carry a gun BECAUSE NEITHER DOES MY CRAZY NEIGHBOR.

I will leave it at that.

Canada is not perfect either.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canadas-worst-mass-killing-incidents-2022-09-04/

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/fighting-gun-crime-canada-has-an-american-problem-2022-07-27/

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/gun-violence-homicides-on-the-rise-in-canada-data-101659520508571.html

Capture

HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida

As population increases so will gun deaths and all deaths for that matter.
Boomers are dying now faster then ever

The gov. Shutdown of small business created massive increases in crime and violence
Many will never recover

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Not mass shooting related, but definitely school shooting related. Sorry if its behind the paywall.

WSJ :- Elementary School Teacher Shot by 6-Year Old in Virginia, Police Say
https://www.wsj.com/articles/elementary-school-teacher-shot-by-6-year-old-in-virginia-police-say-11673047864

A teacher was shot by a 6-year-old boy in an altercation at an elementary school in Newport News, Va., Friday, according to police.

“The student is in custody,” the Newport News Police Department said in a statement.

The victim, identified as a female teacher at Richneck Elementary School, was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to police and the school district.

No other injuries were reported at the school, which is around 25 miles north of Norfolk.

“We did not have a situation where someone was going around the school shooting,” Police Chief Steve Drew said at a press briefing Friday.

The shooting occurred in a classroom with only one gunshot fired, Chief Drew said. He described the incident, which took place around 2 p.m., as an altercation between a student and teacher.

Thanked by:
richardrgayton
Fullerton California

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 16

As long as there is such easy access to guns either for 6 year old or a 50 year old and as long as mass shootings are amplified in the media, we will continue to have this tragedy of gun violence. I lost someone very close to me with a man coming to the door with a firearm in the middle of the day asking for work. It gives one person too much immediate and total power over another human being.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,234
Thanks Received: 101,655

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

The Texas Legislature took decisive action to prevent school mass shootings and passed a law that requires every school in the state to have a police officer on site. Of course when it comes to the Uvalde TX 2022 School Shooting where 21 were killed, there already was an armed Police Officer on site. Additionally within minutes of the start of the shooting Police entered the school only to retreat minutes later. An hour an 10 mins later, with almost 400 law enforcement officers on site, the Police finally engage the shooter and kill him.
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/27/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-timeline/

So the details of my local school district (SBISD) are as follows
  • 47 Schools
  • 44 Square Miles
  • 40,000 Students
  • 4,000 Employees
  • 55 Police Officers & 14 non-officer support staff
For the non-American's here, yes every school has an armed Police Officer permanently assigned to it. Not just there for traffic in the morning and evening!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts