NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 103 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two WoodyFox with 46 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 37 posts (57 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Grodon with 28 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pariah Carey with 3.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 109,039 views
    2. thumb_up 857 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 558 posts
    2. attach_file 34 attachments

Search this Thread

Yet another mass shooting

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

I think I have shared this before, but for those that think they have that easy solution, its something you might want to consider.

2020 gun death statistics:

Total gun related deaths...45,422

Total gun deaths by suicides...24,292 (gun type not give, but we have to assume that few if any by assault riffles)

Total gun deaths by murder...13,620

Total gun deaths by murder using anything but assault riffles...13,211

Total gun deaths by assault riffles...409 (.009 of all gun deaths)

Although we do not want to see any one die, especially our children, I think assault riffles are the least of our problems.

Another 5,192 murders were committed without a gun.

Another 21,687 suicides are committed without a gun.

Sounds like the US has a mental health issue. Duh! This is why I think mental background checks might help, I just question the efficiency and legal rights of this information to public access. Also, will we just create a black market for guns, like drugs or abortions before Roe Wade?

Or maybe the real solution is better access to mental health treatment?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Another 140,000 thousand homeless because of Mental health?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,381
Thanks Received: 10,205

phantomtrader View Post
I don't care what NBC says. If the doors were LOCKED, even if there wasn't a guard, the shooter would have never gotten into the school. That school went through an entire drill months ago on this type of incident. They failed miserably when it came time for the real test.

Your exaggerations don't speak to very clear thinking. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that when you LOCK THE DOORS, nobody gets in without a struggle.

The police failed. The response failed. But if the DOORS WERE LOCKED, the shooter would have not gotten into the school.

I think over the last several posts that you have said that
  • Gun Control is pointless and what we really need is more security
  • We currently have the security levels you think we should have (Locked doors and Security guards)
  • But that Security Level you are proposing didn't work (guards were present, teachers left doors open that were mandated to be locked)
As such I don't know what else to say about your argument other than ignoring the gun aspect is awry!

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

bobwest View Post
Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

In the last day we have had the following in this thread
  • accusing people of being evil
  • calling the entire thread 'stupid'
  • accusations against 'the Biden criminal syndicate'
  • accusations of personal attacks and bulling (not be me or against me)
None of this is what futures.io is known for. I have not participated or been accused of any of this. At all times I have tried to engage into intellectual conversation which has been characterized by others as 'missing the point' and just 'making all kinds of excuses' while they themselves don't address any of the arguments being made.

As such I would request that you direct your modification comments at the relevant people and not me. If you decide to delete this (or my previous post) under the grounds that you think it violates some forum rules I would also request you delete my account and every post that I have ever made.

For what's it's worth and in case you didn't know, this thread was actually started by @Big Mike himself

Big Mike View Post
We have a worldwide audience here, I'm curious what the rest of the world thinks about the craziness and normality of mass shootings in America.

Maybe that was just a bad idea and the whole thread should just be locked never to raise its head again. (I believe a futures.io poll in the last couple of years decided that allowing off-topic political threads was a bad idea, which as much as we want to say this isn't political (everybody loves kids honestly) its as about as political as anything can be other than abortion). I do thinking that locking the thread is better than deleting it though just for historical sakes, people should own their opinions, but either scenario is annoying if only on the grounds it makes @forrestang (aka 'this is a stupid thread guy') happy. (Sorry!)

Assuming this thread is either locked, or deleted, or that my account is deleted I would like to lastly salute @Pariah Carey. This has been a long running thread, and I believe at times we were a little adversarial in it. I don't know what the answer is to this question but I admire you as somebody that has openly discussed this, and somebody who has not only acknowledge the opposing argument but also understands the contradictory nature of being both pro 2A and pro lives of kids in schools.

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, MT4, Matlab
Broker: CQG, AMP, MB, DTN
Trading: E/U, G/U
Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 1,047

SMCJB View Post
...people should own their opinions, but either scenario is annoying if only on the grounds it makes @forrestang (aka 'this is a stupid thread guy') happy. (Sorry!)

Bruh, I've already unsubbed from this thread(auto sub on reply), and figured as I'd just stay away from BMT for a few weeks till this thread dies off(temporarily until the next shooting)... as I clearly lack the self control to stay away at times.

Although, I have seen this thread pop-up at predictable times, I've usually just ignored it(I have posted in it many months ago).

Although I think these threads are cancer, I don't mind other people expressing their opinions, and I'm almost a free-speech absolutist.

In all seriousness, I can be an asshole. I don't expect or need anyone to apologize to me for their speech.

However, I apologize to you and anyone else who found my criticism of this thread offensive.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Thank you @forrestang for your post. I look forward to discussions with you in other less hopeless threads.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,424
Thanks Received: 26,276

SMCJB View Post
In the last day we have had the following in this thread
  • accusing people of being evil
  • calling the entire thread 'stupid'
  • accusations against 'the Biden criminal syndicate'
  • accusations of personal attacks and bulling (not be me or against me)
None of this is what futures.io is known for. I have not participated or been accused of any of this. At all times I have tried to engage into intellectual conversation which has been characterized by others as 'missing the point' and just 'making all kinds of excuses' while they themselves don't address any of the arguments being made.

As such I would request that you direct your modification comments at the relevant people and not me. If you decide to delete this (or my previous post) under the grounds that you think it violates some forum rules I would also request you delete my account and every post that I have ever made.

For what's it's worth and in case you didn't know, this thread was actually started by @Big Mike himself

Maybe that was just a bad idea and the whole thread should just be locked never to raise its head again. (I believe a futures.io poll in the last couple of years decided that allowing off-topic political threads was a bad idea, which as much as we want to say this isn't political (everybody loves kids honestly) its as about as political as anything can be other than abortion). I do thinking that locking the thread is better than deleting it though just for historical sakes, people should own their opinions, but either scenario is annoying if only on the grounds it makes @forrestang (aka 'this is a stupid thread guy') happy. (Sorry!)

Assuming this thread is either locked, or deleted, or that my account is deleted I would like to lastly salute @Pariah Carey. This has been a long running thread, and I believe at times we were a little adversarial in it. I don't know what the answer is to this question but I admire you as somebody that has openly discussed this, and somebody who has not only acknowledge the opposing argument but also understands the contradictory nature of being both pro 2A and pro lives of kids in schools.

I do know that this thread was started by Mike. I was here when he did it.

It has sometimes been a difficult thread, because of the intensity of the opinions and because of the issues that it raises. I said before that I am proud of the responsible tone that has been maintained in the past, and this has come from people on different sides of the gun safety issue and of the cultural issues around the subject.

It does have the potential to get out of hand from the emotions it brings. I think it can be a valuable thread when people can see others' points of view and treat them respectfully. That is unfortunately where the job of moderation sometimes comes in.

Moderation can be a blunt tool, and I regret sometimes using it that way, and yes, I was a bit blunt about it. As Mike has said many times, I am not perfect, but sometimes I have to act anyway. So I apologize for my tone, but not for trying to cool things down, which is my intention. Not everyone has been equally confrontational, and I want to acknowledge that. I do make mistakes, and I try to clean them up afterwards. But my concern has been to bring down the level of back-and-forth responses, which I think was and is important, in this thread at least as much as in others.

I also don't want to get into who said what, which is just going back to the argument.

We do have a no-politics policy, and yes, I did read the remark about the "Biden criminal syndicate," and that is pure politics. We have deleted posts in the past that were anti other politicians (Trump, for instance), and I have just gone back and deleted that one. Leaving it up was a mistake. Everyone's politics is their business and their right, but it doesn't belong here.

We ask everyone to have respect for their fellow members and to keep the discussions directed to the issues, not to the persons. This can be done here as well as everywhere else in the forum, or so I believe. This is our goal, anyway.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

To lighten up the whole topic a bit, here is something slightly out of theme

Symple

Thanked by:

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

@bobwest...keep up the good work and do not delete any of @SMCJB 's posts and please do not delete his account at his request. Sorry @SMCJB we are not done with you yet...There is still much more trading knowledge we must extract from you before you leave! Seriously don't even speak of that @SMCJB and please stick around.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

6 dead, 24 hospitalized in mass shooting at Highland Park July 4 parade! Suspect is an 18- to 20-year-old white male.

If you watch the video you can almost count the shots. Pause for a few seconds. Then count the shots in the second magazine.

Not sure how locking doors would prevent this one? Guess there were no 'good guys' around to stop it either? Maybe we should have had the National Guard lining the street just in case? Kind of ironic this happens in the US on the US's biggest Holiday. Oh well but don't worry I'm sure everybody will send love and prayers to everybody affected.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts