NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 103 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two WoodyFox with 46 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 37 posts (57 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Grodon with 28 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pariah Carey with 3.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 107,392 views
    2. thumb_up 857 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 558 posts
    2. attach_file 34 attachments

Search this Thread

Yet another mass shooting

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 984

There are over 350,000,000 guns in this country - not counting the ones in gun stores. You can shut down all the gun stores, even change the Second Amendment, and there still will be guns.

When you go to a bank or a government facility it's 100% secured by armed guards. The probability of robbing a bank today is next to zero. Why should schools be different? We already know schools are a target for crazy people.
If schools were mandated to be secured like banks, these incidents wouldn't happen. So where's the will? Ain't got none - and that's the problem. We can send billions to the Ukraine but can't come up with enough to secure our schools.

It's a lack of will on the part of politicians. The public has been demanding secure schools for a long time. But no one listens. And that's typical of our government today. It's all about THEM and nothing about US.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Pariah Carey 
Memphis TN
Legendary E-mini dictator for life

Platform: Thinkorswim
Broker: TDAmeritrade
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 158
Thanks Received: 3,616

Tymbeline View Post
But maybe far fewer of them, don't you think, with the probable outcome that you'd - following your own idiom - be "paying for it" with far fewer dead kids than you are now, which would doubtless be a huge improvement? (I'm not trying to argue the broader issue either way, and don't pretend - as a non-resident foreigner - to understand either side of the argument clearly: I'm genuinely asking for information; asking what you think.)

If it could be enforced the way it’s meant to be, but I’m not real hopeful of that. That is what I mean by people falling through the cracks. The 2017 Texas church shooter beat the shit out of his infant son and fractured his skull but still passed a background check and bought the gun he used to kill 20 people. The Virginia Tech shooter in ‘07 had been ordered to go to mental health counseling and still they sold him a gun. Killed 32 people.

It’s like 9/11 over and over again. In the summer of 2001 the FBI knew something was going on, some of those dirtbags were showing up on the radar but they didn’t put the pieces together, they were like “ehhh, it’s not that big of a deal. Probably nothing.”

Money make ya handsome
Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

phantomtrader View Post
There are over 350,000,000 guns in this country - not counting the ones in gun stores. You can shut down all the gun stores, even change the Second Amendment, and there still will be guns.

When you go to a bank or a government facility it's 100% secured by armed guards. The probability of robbing a bank today is next to zero. Why should schools be different? We already know schools are a target for crazy people.
If schools were mandated to be secured like banks, these incidents wouldn't happen. So where's the will? Ain't got none - and that's the problem. We can send billions to the Ukraine but can't come up with enough to secure our schools.

It's a lack of will on the part of politicians. The public has been demanding secure schools for a long time. But no one listens. And that's typical of our government today. It's all about THEM and nothing about US.

How many armed guards per school? Do you think one trained armed guard would be enough? If so, that would cost $150 billion a year. That is a much MUCH bigger nut to crack than the less than $4 billion in aid given to the Ukraine in fighting our mortal enemy. Not to mention, the actuarial cost of settling lawsuits as a result of a school shooting is still cheaper than paying for one armed guard per school. Just a little perspective. The solution is always simple from the armchair.

learning0101 
Houston, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader,TOS,Etrade,St
Broker: NT:( tos,etrade,CS
Trading: stocks,options,futures,forex
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 3,613
Thanks Received: 222

What about all the non-gun killings? Just in the news for no reason someone stabbed someone to death---hmm-so now you gonna OUTLAW knives? How ya gonna cut ur steak?
Get off your high horses. It's people not guns, Does not matter how many checks you do. If someone is evil and wants to kill they will. Sorry but that is THE FACTS!!
Prayers and Blessings to all the families of those lost recently and throughout History.
Memorial Day is not a Holiday as most people see it it's a day to remember those that have given the ultimate sacrifice to Protect and Preserve the LIFE you are able to live TODAY!
Every Day if you are true to this country shall be Memorial Day. As such without the loss of those before, you would not be allowed the life you lead today!

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

learning0101 View Post
If someone is evil and wants to kill they will. Sorry but that is THE FACTS!!

I think this argument fails when you compare the US to other countries. It isn't true for them so why is it for the US? Guess the US is one of the 'evilest' developed nations in the world?*

* In 2019 the US had a GDP of $62k/person and 5.4 homicides for 100,000 people. The next highest rate for GDP over $40k was Bermuda at 3 per 100,000 people. https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/homicide-rate-vs-gdp-pc?xScale=linear&time=latest

Thanked by:

learning0101 
Houston, Texas

SMCJB View Post
I think this argument fails when you compare the US to other countries. It isn't true for them so why is it for the US? Guess the US is one of the 'evilest' developed nations in the world?*

* In 2019 the US had a GDP of $62k/person and 5.4 homicides for 100,000 people. The next highest rate for GDP over $40k was Bermuda at 3 per 100,000 people. https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/homicide-rate-vs-gdp-pc?xScale=linear&time=latest

Yep guess so--
Hi didn't compare anything just stated the facts---Which are if someone wants to kill people they will--.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Yeah all those mass rope, mass glass, and mass hammer killing stories are terrifying.

Thanked by:

learning0101 
Houston, Texas

SMCJB View Post
Yeah all those mass rope, mass glass, and mass hammer killing stories are terrifying.

thanks I edited my response to you and removed the end, so that smart people like you would not miss the point being made.

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

phantomtrader View Post
You must be joking from your armchair. Why aren't childrens' lives worth it? Banks do it and customers pay for it along with help from the government.
And a hell of a lot more money has flowed into the Ukraine from the U.S. thanks to the Biden criminal syndicate. Where is that money? In whose pocket?

The point is if you don't prioritize the lives of children and you think the money is more important, then you may as well give up the ship now.

That has to be one of the most shocking posts I've ever read on this board.

If it saves just one life, right? That isn't how capitalism works. A life is only worth what it could have reasonably hoped to earn in a lifetime, according to our civil court justice.

I would like to point out that the statements I have made throughout this thread are observational. I have made no value judgements or said what I thought should or should not happen. I have not said anything about how I feel, because emotion is irrelevant. That doesn't mean I don't feel. It just means that I don't believe governance should be based on emotion. King Solomon didn't offer to split a baby in half because he is heartless. I've intentionally left out my feelings from this discussion.

I didn't make up civil law in the US. It is what it is. Wrongful death will determine the value of a life in monetary terms. Like it or not, there IS a certain amount of money that is worth more than a child as defined by US law! Car companies are notorious for having practiced this to great effect. They have in the past elected to NOT recall a line of cars because the cost to do so would be greater than the cost of the expected loss of lives in civil litigation. I would be happy to fix all the ills facing our country. You just need to make me the queen and give me authoritarian power. How's that sound?

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 984

chipwitch View Post
If it saves just one life, right? That isn't how capitalism works. A life is only worth what it could have reasonably hoped to earn in a lifetime, according to our civil court justice.

I would like to point out that the statements I have made throughout this thread are observational. I have made no value judgements or said what I thought should or should not happen. I have not said anything about how I feel, because emotion is irrelevant. That doesn't mean I don't feel. It just means that I don't believe governance should be based on emotion. King Solomon didn't offer to split a baby in half because he is heartless. I've intentionally left out my feelings from this discussion.

I didn't make up civil law in the US. It is what it is. Wrongful death will determine the value of a life in monetary terms. Like it or not, there IS a certain amount of money that is worth more than a child as defined by US law! Car companies are notorious for having practiced this to great effect. They have in the past elected to NOT recall a line of cars because the cost to do so would be greater than the cost of the expected loss of lives in civil litigation. I would be happy to fix all the ills facing our country. You just need to make me the queen and give me authoritarian power. How's that sound?

That's a lot of blabber. What about the children? Locking down schools is a lot easier than suffering through even a single tragedy like we just witnessed.

This is about common sense. Not your opinion as to how government should be run. Your "observations" are made from a pedestal of arrogance.

Maybe your life and your children aren't worth the effort or the money. My life and my children are. We will always differ on that.

Last Updated on December 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts