NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 103 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two WoodyFox with 46 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 37 posts (57 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Grodon with 28 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pariah Carey with 3.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 109,263 views
    2. thumb_up 857 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 558 posts
    2. attach_file 34 attachments

Search this Thread

Yet another mass shooting

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,599

Itchymoku View Post
Why do people think being shot by a bullet is more horrific than being brutally stabbed by a knife or hit by a car?

A shoot, or any kind of violent death is sad, but lets get real folks texting while driving kills 6000 people a year alone.

I believe the key here is "mass". It's faster to mass murder people with guns than anything else, and the victims are far more difficult to defend against it. It's easier to defend against a knife attack, or even a drunk driver.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

What these young guys who are committing these atrocities needed is attention. People don't understand how alienating social media is today on young kids, but they don't interact like the used to. I distinctly remember how different people treated one another before cellphones and it was amazing.

The answer to this whole problem of mass shootings is class size and maybe even the structure of the work environment for adults. Small classes force people to interact with one another and make it easier for teachers to spot problems in the students. When you have 50 kids to a teacher the teacher will have no idea if one of those kids is slipping into a state that causes something like a shooting to happen.

Ideally I think all classes should be this small

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

TheTradeSlinger 
Huntington WV

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 682

The US is in for a rough, rough time ahead with regards to violent crime.

Population changes:
U.S. Population Diversity Census Report
Whites Projected to Become a US Minority | Al Jazeera America

Crime Statistics:
en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime
» Black Crime Facts That The White Liberal Media Daren?t Talk About Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

As the groups that commit most of the violent crime per capita become the majority in this country, their numbers growing and growing as the groups that commit the least number of violent crimes per capita shrink in number, what does the future hold beside an ever increasing rate of violent crimes?

It's not a gun issue, it's a people issue.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Neo1 
Christchurch, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Broker: IB, BC, Dx Feed
Trading: US Equities
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 531

It seems like you Yanks are too obsessed with guns and blowing stuff up. Everyone seems to take this great sense of pride in owing/ handling a firearm.

It probably looks like that to me because in NZ cops don't even carry guns, same with most of the cops in the UK. Both have low gun related mortality rates. It's easy to get a gun in NZ though, and hunting is pretty popular aswell.

I remember reading a study that concluded the biggest correlation with Gun related homicides was the unemployment rate( and Meth) , and that It had little to do with gun laws.

"Free markets work because they allow people to be lucky, thanks to aggressive trial and error, not by giving rewards or incentives for skill. The strategy is, then, to tinker as much as possible and try to collect as many Black Swan opportunities as you can"

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

NYTimes :- Oregon Killer’s Mother Wrote of Troubled Son and Gun Rights

In a series of online postings over a decade, Ms. Harper, a registered nurse, said she kept numerous firearms in her home and expressed pride in her knowledge about them, as well as in her son’s expertise on the subject.

In an online forum, answering a question about state gun laws several years ago, Ms. Harper took a jab at “lame states” that impose limits on keeping loaded firearms in the home, and noted that she had AR-15 and AK-47 semiautomatic rifles, along with a Glock handgun. She also indicated that her son, who lived with her, was well versed in guns, citing him as her source of information on gun laws, saying he “has much knowledge in this field.”

“I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags,” Ms. Harper wrote. “No one will be ‘dropping’ by my house uninvited without acknowledgement.”

Law enforcement officials have said they recovered 14 firearms and spare ammunition magazines that were purchased legally either by Mr. Harper-Mercer, 26, or an unnamed relative. Mr. Harper-Mercer had six guns with him when he entered a classroom building on Thursday and started firing on a writing class in which he was enrolled

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/06/zero-correlation-between-state-homicide-rate-and-state-gun-laws/?tid=sm_fb

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

Itchymoku View Post

ban??? nobody says anything about banning, the right word is 'control'. But this is very typical, it designs to stir up pro gun crowd into a frenzy as usual.

Thanked by:
 Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

cory View Post
ban??? nobody says anything about banning, the right word is 'control'. But this is very typical, it designs to stir up pro gun crowd into a frenzy as usual.

It is what it is. America is OBSESSED with guns and they're paranoid, paranoid of their own government. It's always been this way. I have a lot of friends who own weapons and anytime I bring up the government coming for their guns it's like there's a chemical change in their brain. Something deep in their core is set off like scraping nails on a chalk board. Most of them say "let them come and take my guns and there will be a shoot out" lol. In all honesty I think they're partly just blowing off steam, but this is a ubiquitous response among all people I know who have a gun. Some of these people were perceived as educated, sound individuals (at least before they commit the act). Many people who commit these crimes are educated and sound individuals.

I think the shootings are going to keep happening and America is just going to drift into a state of complacency. The only thing that's going to happen is it'll be harder to get a gun. Maybe some people will point the finger at lack of mental health services and absolutely no one will really face the real problem these young people face of social dissonance. America is an experiment of lets give every child a smartphone and hope they'll make more friends when the exact opposite is true for most.

It's crazy how people just completely brush off all the other problems that contribute to mass shootings and only focus on guns or getting a automatic weapon. America just haphazardly force feeds kids adhd or anti depressant medications, puts artificial crap in their food, hands them a smart phone, and tells them if they don't lose their virginity at a young age they're worthless. Most of these shooters commit these crimes simply because they don't have a girlfriend, or friends for that matter, if you read the manifestos.

tl:dr: It's not about the guns, it's a sociological issue. No one decides to shoot up a school simply because they have a gun.

Thanked by:
 GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,196
Thanks Received: 15,587

The school shootings in US are really the smaller crime - but everyone is upset and the president
needs to have several special speeches - longing for less weapons and pushing new regulations.
I don't want to get political here.
Obviously the same US gun crime with many deaths is done by "the pro"! US troops dispersed over
1000 military bases around the world shoot every day innocent people. Without any reason.
Using the latest technique and looks like a video game. And filming the massacres right live and
cruel.
(hmmm.. just for the sake of their hobby?) irony off.
Nobody in USA is upset about it - because:
it happens so far away.

Think of it
GFIs1

thanks @Itchymoku for the precise view

and yeah - Americans don't have a neutral view on weapons

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts