NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 103 posts (168 thanks)
    2. looks_two WoodyFox with 46 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 37 posts (57 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Grodon with 28 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pariah Carey with 3.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 107,314 views
    2. thumb_up 857 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 558 posts
    2. attach_file 34 attachments

Search this Thread

Yet another mass shooting

learning0101 
Houston, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader,TOS,Etrade,St
Broker: NT:( tos,etrade,CS
Trading: stocks,options,futures,forex
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 3,613
Thanks Received: 222

tturner86 View Post
@Big Mike what is Ecuador's gun laws like?

Control de Armas

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

learning0101 View Post

Just cause there is a permit, doesn't mean you can 'actually' get a permit.

P.S. I just pray that this conversation stays civil. Because this is a conversation that needs to happen, but too often degrades into name calling and BS online.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Inletcap 
Murrells Inlet SC

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Trading: ES, CL, ETFs
Thanks Given: 9,765
Thanks Received: 26,036

Guns don't kill people, people with guns do. With all the guns in circulation no laws will stop anyone from getting one. I could drive to a city and buy a gun illegally in a couple hours and go apeshit in a crowd. As a concealed weapons permit holder and daily carrier of a firearm I will tell you this~ You want me standing next to you when some lunatic goes off as I will likely be your only saving grace. If you do not feel that sense of responsibility to protect your own wellbeing and that of others around you, that is your call; but I will bet you would thank me for saving your life or a loved ones with my gun and have no problem with the fact I was sitting next to you "packing".

Seahn 
New York, New Jersey/USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 274

Inletcap View Post
Guns don't kill people, people with guns do. With all the guns in circulation no laws will stop anyone from getting one. I could drive to a city and buy a gun illegally in a couple hours and go apeshit in a crowd. As a concealed weapons permit holder and daily carrier of a firearm I will tell you this~ You want me standing next to you when some lunatic goes off as I will likely be your only saving grace. If you do not feel that sense of responsibility to protect your own wellbeing and that of others around you, that is your call; but I will bet you would thank me for saving your life or a loved ones with my gun and have no problem with the fact I was sitting next to you "packing".

The wild west, I like it...... Surely if everyone carried a gun, gun violence would disappear.

Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

I personally believe that all people should shoot a fire arm at some point in their life.

I was raised on a farm with guns from a young age. I was taught early on the proper way to handle and respect them. At the age of 12 I had to shoot a coyote to keep it from attacking my dog and some animals.

A lot of gun deaths happen because of stupidity and mishandling of them. More happen because they are in the hands of people who don't need them. Children, criminals, crazies, etc.

I have learned that the most unbiased object in the world is a bullet. Its only objective is to leave the muzzle of a gun at the speed of sound and destroy everything in its path. It has no prejudice, no cause, and no concern.

I am not concerned about new laws because I am a law abiding citizen. I will follow whatever laws come to be. I also know that there are others out there who won't follow any laws. And those are the ones who scare me.

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Seahn View Post
The wild west, I like it...... Surely if everyone carried a gun, gun violence would disappear.

No, people will still do stupid shit.

I would rather have a gun and never need it, then not have one and wished I did.

Thanked by:

Devil Man 
Fort Lauderdale
Legendary / Stochastic Calculus is not your friend

Experience: None
Platform: Ninjatrader, Python API
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES,NQ,CL
Thanks Given: 3,399
Thanks Received: 1,534

I think it's terrible that it happened...just absolutely terrible, interestingly it was in another "gun free zone." Obviously doesn't work.

In almost every case of recent mass shootings the perp was certified mentally ill..there needs to be a way of preventing anyone in that condition from obtaining a firearm. Don't know how it could be done with our strict medical confidentiality laws, maybe the psychiatrist can somehow tie them into a database for gun background checks?

Other than that we need to enforce the laws that are on the books...the states with the strictest gun laws are the ones with the most gun violence. There is a pattern here.

Aside from that, maybe we should have at least one police officer in every school...children are the most vulnerable and they need to be safe. If Police is not an option, how about we hire our jobless vets who are combat seasoned and have that 6th sense to know when something just isn't right. We can easily justify the costs as their training would be minimal given their prior service and experience with firearms.

just my .02

Johnny

Thanked by:

Inletcap 
Murrells Inlet SC

Interesting tidbit- while I'm reading this the wind just blew my back door open. First thing I did....

Inletcap 
Murrells Inlet SC

tturner86 View Post
I personally believe that all people should shoot a fire arm at some point in their life.

I was raised on a farm with guns from a young age. I was taught early on the proper way to handle and respect them. At the age of 12 I had to shoot a coyote to keep it from attacking my dog and some animals.

A lot of gun deaths happen because of stupidity and mishandling of them. More happen because they are in the hands of people who don't need them. Children, criminals, crazies, etc.

I have learned that the most unbiased object in the world is a bullet. Its only objective is to leave the muzzle of a gun at the speed of sound and destroy everything in its path. It has no prejudice, no cause, and no concern.

I am not concerned about new laws because I am a law abiding citizen. I will follow whatever laws come to be. I also know that there are others out there who won't follow any laws. And those are the ones who scare me.

Wish I could say thanks 100 times for this post

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

@Big Mike, I am an idiot to post in this thread, because the polarization of US politics makes the topic something that otherwise reasonable people have trouble finding any agreement about, and we do need to get to some agreement here.

At least something should be done to make it hard for people who have bad records to get their hands on guns. Even that has not been possible to do.

It is absolutely wrong that we simply shrug and say "We can't do anything about it," when people shoot kids. Neither politics, nor political philosophy, nor love of guns, nor love of freedom, should allow that kind of indifference. "Indifference" is the right word, when all avenues for agreement and action are blocked. The status quo is the only possible outcome, which equals indifference to the problem.

This is the only major country where this happens, and it happens literally all the time.

Sure, everyone has a right to own a gun, just as everyone has a right to own a car. But I had to get a license to drive, and so did everyone else. There are things that can be done that do not involve either not giving a shit, nor taking everyone's guns away.

Bob.

Edit: cut out a lot of drama, hoping that the point will come through better.

Man, I do like my drama, though.... A real weakness. There is a point, though, and I hope it is reasonably clear.

Last Updated on December 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts