NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 812 posts (1,274 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 207 posts (489 thanks)
    3. looks_3 manuel999 with 109 posts (108 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderGriz with 66 posts (26 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 manuel999 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 280,368 views
    2. thumb_up 2,296 thanks given
    3. group 139 followers
    1. forum 1,598 posts
    2. attach_file 93 attachments

Search this Thread

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,686
Thanks Received: 2,651

myrrdin View Post
I revised my plans and entered the short NGU P1.5 / C2.5.

Current weather forecasts do not see severe heat for the next couple of weeks, and I doubt that China will buy a lot of NG in the near future. Thus, a strangle seems to be better suited.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Bought back the NG strangle with a loss of approx. 20 %.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to myrrdin for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
67 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
47 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
43 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
32 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

For the European traders:

Trading hours in the US begin 1 hour earlier for 1 week because of the change to Winter Time in Europe. Eg. stock market in New York will open at 2.30 pm Central European Time.

Best regards, Myrrdin

The following user says Thank You to myrrdin for this post:
 txsroper 
Austin Tx

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT, TOS, TradeStation
Trading: ES, NQ, CL, GC, Option Spreads
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 12

I have been trading options for a long time. Have taught many classes to large groups. That said, Hands down the best ( most Knowledgeable and best TEACHER ) is Don Kaufman founder of https://www.theotrade.com/ .

He did a webinar , Free to Members, During the March Sell off on how to hedge your portfolio in less than a few minuets.
I was very impressed and learned some very advanced info. Out right buying an option to hedge over long haul is worst / most expensive.
He taught how step by step how convert your portfolio to an accurate Delta, then choices to accurately Beta Weight HEDGE ANY stock portfolio.

And why NOT to use the DIA.

Excellent Class, Trust me I am a skeptic.

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Recently volatility was quite high for some commodities, which allowed for entering some OTM short strangles simply based on this fact:

KWK P500/C800
LHJ P60/C80
KCK P1/C2 (after taking approx. 75 % profit for a similar KCH strangle)
SIK P18/C60
NGJ P1.75/C3.4 (small position)

My current strategy is to place an order for profit taking of positions between 50 % and 10 % of the original value, thus, the average profit is 70 % of the original value. This allows for reducing risk rather early.

I hesitated to sell the KW strangle, as C is in a weather market (South Americas), and C can be replaced by KW to a certain degree. But as I hold a significant KW-W position which should work well with rising KW prices, I decided to enter.

The NGJ strangle is a small position. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I do not enter short options for the Z, F, G, and H contracts in Natural Gas. And J is just following H, thus, it is not without risk in case of a cold blast. What helps is that I hold a long position in the NG futures.

Best regards, Myrrdin

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,359
Thanks Received: 10,172

myrrdin View Post
The NGJ strangle is a small position. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I do not enter short options for the Z, F, G, and H contracts in Natural Gas. And J is just following H, thus, it is not without risk in case of a cold blast. What helps is that I hold a long position in the NG futures.

April is a different animal. Even if we do get a winter cold blast, and deplete storage, supply in April is still greater than demand, so it shouldn't spike like the winter can.

The following 2 users say Thank You to SMCJB for this post:
mosalem2003
Toronto

Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 23

He is offering a class now. Are you really sure of this service ? I have been in so many courses and classes and nothing in retail business mentoring is true .. If they are profitable from trading, why they sell courses and waste their trading time in education. Kindly provide @txsroper more info or contact me directly on why I should take it as I have watched his last marketing video and have an interest to register but I am worried it would be like other marketing hypes...so your input is appreciated on why this service could be really differentiated from the crowd!
txsroper View Post
I have been trading options for a long time. Have taught many classes to large groups. That said, Hands down the best ( most Knowledgeable and best TEACHER ) is Don Kaufman founder of https://www.theotrade.com/ .

He did a webinar , Free to Members, During the March Sell off on how to hedge your portfolio in less than a few minuets.
I was very impressed and learned some very advanced info. Out right buying an option to hedge over long haul is worst / most expensive.
He taught how step by step how convert your portfolio to an accurate Delta, then choices to accurately Beta Weight HEDGE ANY stock portfolio.

And why NOT to use the DIA.

Excellent Class, Trust me I am a skeptic.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Sagal
Strasbourg, France

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 96

myrrdin View Post
Bought back the NG strangle with a loss of approx. 20 %.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanks for the info. I missed the good opportunity for NG: a naked put option at 2.3 expiry February when it was at 2.4 to 2.5.
I keep an eye for a naked put options on Coffee and Cocoa, eventually WTI but that's it. I'm fully focused on PM (silver, platinum or palladium) with CFDs rarely with Futures (for Platinum) as the size of the Silver or Palladium contract is quite big.
No plan for any spreads. As we discussed, Saxo has to change the way the leverage is calculated so that I can reconsider.
All the best for this new trading year Myrrdin!
Sagal

The following user says Thank You to Sagal for this post:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Sagal View Post
Thanks for the info. I missed the good opportunity for NG: a naked put option at 2.3 expiry February when it was at 2.4 to 2.5.
I keep an eye for a naked put options on Coffee and Cocoa, eventually WTI but that's it. I'm fully focused on PM (silver, platinum or palladium) with CFDs rarely with Futures (for Platinum) as the size of the Silver or Palladium contract is quite big.
No plan for any spreads. As we discussed, Saxo has to change the way the leverage is calculated so that I can reconsider.
All the best for this new trading year Myrrdin!
Sagal

Thanks a lot for your good wishes !

I used the high volatility in some commodities to enter wide short strangles in NGJ, SIK, KWK, KCH and KCK, LCJ, LHJ. All of them run smoothly.

I intend to enter a further strangle in NGK this week.

All of these strangles were sold for $400 to $500 per strangle. I intend to buy them back with a profit of 50 % to 75 %.

I wish you a healthy and prosperous New Year !

Best regards, Myrrdin

mosalem2003
Toronto

Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 23

Is there a recommendation for a broker who is futures' options friendly given that I will use spread selling not naked?
I have challenges with many brokers who whether can accept Canadian but only support long options or claim they support options selling to figure out when funding the account that they don't have even a platform to sell options spreads.
Unfortunately DeCarley doesn't accept people from Canada yet.
I have an IBKR account and it seems this would be my last resort given they are a huge FCM and that spread selling may not be sensitive for their risk.
I am checking now with other brokers who can clear from Ironbeam but I am not sure about them.
Any recommendation for options selling brokers for Canadian is highly appreciated from the experts who is using this strategy.

The following user says Thank You to mosalem2003 for this post:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

mosalem2003 View Post
Is there a recommendation for a broker who is futures' options friendly given that I will use spread selling not naked?
I have challenges with many brokers who whether can accept Canadian but only support long options or claim they support options selling to figure out when funding the account that they don't have even a platform to sell options spreads.
Unfortunately DeCarley doesn't accept people from Canada yet.
I have an IBKR account and it seems this would be my last resort given they are a huge FCM and that spread selling may not be sensitive for their risk.
I am checking now with other brokers who can clear from Ironbeam but I am not sure about them.
Any recommendation for options selling brokers for Canadian is highly appreciated from the experts who is using this strategy.

I do a lot of option selling with Interactive Brokers.

Regarding margin, they are ok as long as you do not sell naked.

Regarding order entering for spreads, they offer everything I wish.

As an Austrian, I also have the problem that I am not accepted as a customer by many US brokers.

Best regards, Myrrdin

The following 3 users say Thank You to myrrdin for this post:

Last Updated on May 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts