NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 812 posts (1,274 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 207 posts (489 thanks)
    3. looks_3 manuel999 with 109 posts (108 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderGriz with 66 posts (26 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 manuel999 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 281,240 views
    2. thumb_up 2,296 thanks given
    3. group 139 followers
    1. forum 1,598 posts
    2. attach_file 93 attachments

Search this Thread

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,686
Thanks Received: 2,651

Bought back the LCV P132 -P120 for a 52 % profit. Still hold positions in the LCZ P130 and P132.

Bought back the WH P400 for a 53 % profit within a few days. Intend to sell it again at a higher price.

Sold the CH C5 to hold a strangle with the CH P340.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks
Forex37
Zurich

Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 17

Hi myrrdin,

Thanks for your nice thread. I`ve always wanted to trade non index futures, but I haven`t got the slightes idea about them and their fundamentals. What would be the best introduction (from Dummy 2 Master)?

But I still practice some diversification still: Living in Europe I`m a seller of options on Dax, Eurostoxx50, UK Ftse100 and (sometimes) CAC40. Those are European style, so strangles are very margin friendly. Unfortunately US brokers aren`t allowed and IB UK is the very same margin game as been played in the US. Luckily I got Macquarie which provide exchange requirements without mark up.

Kind regards

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Forex37 View Post
Hi myrrdin,

Thanks for your nice thread. I`ve always wanted to trade non index futures, but I haven`t got the slightes idea about them and their fundamentals. What would be the best introduction (from Dummy 2 Master)?

But I still practice some diversification still: Living in Europe I`m a seller of options on Dax, Eurostoxx50, UK Ftse100 and (sometimes) CAC40. Those are European style, so strangles are very margin friendly. Unfortunately US brokers aren`t allowed and IB UK is the very same margin game as been played in the US. Luckily I got Macquarie which provide exchange requirements without mark up.

Kind regards

Hi,

thank you for your interest in this topic.

I sell commodity options based on fundamentals (see my first entry in this thread for details). Thus, I consider it as essential to collect and understand information on fundamentals. I suggest to start with one group of commodities. If you do not have a special interest, grains and beans seem to me to be the easiest to trade. Meats are complicated, metals are closely correlated with currencies and indices (and, thus, would not be a diversification for you), softs have a lower open interest and are more difficult to trade. You receive basic data for grains from the USDA free of charge. But it is easier to subscribe to some service to get this information well prepared (and interpreted). Hightower is such service, which is distributed free of charge by many US brokers. There is also some information on the site of the exchange (CME). Another option would be to trade the energies (mainly crude oil and natural gas).

I am surprised US brokers are not allowed in your country. Here in Austria they are. I work with RJO and DeCarley, and I am happy with both of them. Most of the large US brokers use minimum margin as requested by the exchanges.

Please do not hesitate to ask further questions.

Best regards, Myrrdin

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Sold the CLF C60-75. I intend to to extend this position to a strangle at lower prices (if they appear ...).

Also used the move back up of Hog prices to sell the LHZ C70, after I had taken profit on similar calls some days ago.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Forex37
Zurich

Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 17

myrrdin View Post
usiness

I am surprised US brokers are not allowed in your country. Here in Austria they are. I work with RJO and DeCarley, and I am happy with both of them. Most of the large US brokers use minimum margin as requested by the exchanges.

Sorry for my poor language proficiency:

Yes, US brokers are allowed in Europe, but:

US brokers are allowed to offer their services to european customers. US brokers are also allowed to offer futures of european exchanges (like Dax of Eurex or FTSE of LIFFE) . US brokers are not allowed to offer options on european futures (like ODAX of Eurex..). So I can`t write options on DAX30 - and an american customers also can`t do this.

Kind regards

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Forex37 View Post
Sorry for my poor language proficiency:

Yes, US brokers are allowed in Europe, but:

US brokers are allowed to offer their services to european customers. US brokers are also allowed to offer futures of european exchanges (like Dax of Eurex or FTSE of LIFFE) . US brokers are not allowed to offer options on european futures (like ODAX of Eurex..). So I can`t write options on DAX30 - and an american customers also can`t do this.

Kind regards

That is possible - I do not trade European commodities or their options.

Thus, you should choose two brokers - one in Europe and one in the US. I prefer working with two brokers for another reason: third party risk.

US brokers usually provide you with information regarding commodities, which is partially prepared by themselves and partially bought from others.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Bought back LCZ P136 at a 62 % loss.

Best regards, Myrrdin

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Bought back LHZ C70 at +/- 0. I do not understand yesterday's large move upwards - too large for simple short covering (for some time even locked limit up) or liquidation of some LC-LH speads. And in case I do not understand moves of a price, I prefer to quit.

Best regards, Myrrdin

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Sold ZBZ C160.

Myrrdin

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Current positions of my option selling portfolio:

CH P340
CH C500
WH C600
BOH P24
LCZ P130
CLZ C60-75
CLZ P35-25
CLF C60-75
NGZ C4.3
NGZ P2.25
USZ C160

The wheat position is a larger position ("double position") than the others to balance positions moving up vs. down with the US-Dollar. Currently the account is well balanced in this regard.

On my watchlist there is the SIH P14 at current level (in exchange to a profitable long outright position) and a CLF put on a move down. In the meats I am looking to sell calls on a move up.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts