NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 812 posts (1,274 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 207 posts (489 thanks)
    3. looks_3 manuel999 with 109 posts (108 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderGriz with 66 posts (26 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 manuel999 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 281,189 views
    2. thumb_up 2,296 thanks given
    3. group 139 followers
    1. forum 1,598 posts
    2. attach_file 93 attachments

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,686
Thanks Received: 2,651

MDRider View Post
Thanks for sharing your strategy Myrrdin - looks like it would provide consistent profits. Entering that far out will probably capture the exaggerated pricing that seems to exist as option contracts are initiated. Two questions:

1) How do you scan for a particular option's volatility? Is there an alert in ToS that will identify which market has IV over 70%, for instance? What's your IV threshold for selection?

2) I haven't found much on this thread regarding adjustments when the market goes nuts (actually, I don't know how to search for it within a thread and haven't had time to read all the posts since 2014!). Do you have exit/reentry criteria in that case? I optimized a nifty [AUTOLINK]ToS[/AUTOLINK] standard deviation color indicator if people want to use it.

Stay healthy! MDRider

I use MRCI data for scanning the volatility (historical and implicit). They not only show actual values, but charts for volatility and seasonal charts for volatility. I do not use the same threshold for all commodities, but I sell when volatility is high compared to recent years.

I do not use ToS. I study the MRCI tables, often during the weekend. That should be enough.

Generally, I do not adjust trades. I do not think it is a good idea. It only makes you believe that, in the long run, the percentage of winners is higher than it really is.

I exit these trades when the value of the options has doubled, rarely tripled. I determine the exact point of exit in the chart of the underlying. That means: I look for strong resistance / support in the underlying at a place where I would assume the options to double in value.

Sometimes I enter a next trade for the same commodity. But it has to fulfil the same conditions as the first one, and I consider it as an entirely new trade. No revenge trade.

And, yes: I made significant profits working with this strategy.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Volatility of CL has risen significantly. It is rare that 30 USD wide strangles can be sold at 4.50 USD.

Significant chart damage has been done for the bulls.

Thus, I sold some CLH P52/C82 at this price, waiting for volatility to come down.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread
Thanked by:

rajab
westhills california US

Thanks Given: 130
Thanks Received: 20

Just wanted to get some feedback and thoughts on how to play Grains and other commodities with all the changes that are going on in the world?
Am I late to the game?
Are ETN's the safest way to capture profits in Grains these days?
Lastly, I like to hear about some strategies people are using to play commodities and the trades they got on now.

THANK YOU
Babak

Thanked by:

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

rajab View Post
Just wanted to get some feedback and thoughts on how to play Grains and other commodities with all the changes that are going on in the world?
Am I late to the game?
Are ETN's the safest way to capture profits in Grains these days?
Lastly, I like to hear about some strategies people are using to play commodities and the trades they got on now.

THANK YOU
Babak

I generally do not trade ETNs because of the risk of losses during the rolling process of the ETN.

Currently, I do not trade grains at all because of the large price swings. I am not in a position to recognize the underlying short term fundamentals, which move the prices severely.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Sagal
Strasbourg, France

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 96

I don't know if it is so different, but the teucrium fund are more classified as ETF.
Anyway I assessed investing this we on whether TAGS WEAT or CORN but finally I gave up for the fact that maybe I'm a little bit late in the process and for reasons mentioned by myrrdin (I checked prices of 2nd 3rd contract and depending which one September to December contract). However it should be noted that options are also available for these ETF. Finally I decided if I want to go on this way more for futures or CFD (in the case I cannot afford a full contract).

"Teucrium Commodity Trust - Teucrium Wheat Fund is an exchange traded fund launched and managed by Teucrium Trading, LLC. The fund invests in the commodity markets. It uses derivatives such as futures contracts to invest in wheat. The fund employs a market neutral investment strategy. It seeks to track the daily weighted average of the closing settlement prices for three futures contracts namely 35% second-to-expire CBOT Wheat Futures Contract, 30% third-to-expire CBOT Wheat Futures Contract, and 35% CBOT Wheat Futures Contract expiring in December following the expiration month of the third-to-expire contract. Teucrium Commodity Trust -

Thanked by:

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Sagal View Post
Finally I decided if I want to go on this way more for futures or CFD (in the case I cannot afford a full contract).

There ale also mini-contracts for the wheat and corn futures, which have acceptable volume.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Sagal
Strasbourg, France

Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 96

myrrdin View Post
There ale also mini-contracts for the wheat and corn futures, which have acceptable volume.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanks for the info, however I double checked and these mini-contracts are not available at my broker (at Saxobank mini-contracts are available for gold and silver, but not for wheat or corn)

rajab
westhills california US

Thanks Given: 130
Thanks Received: 20

Do Live of Feeder Cattle go by seasonality and if so what are some fundamentals you look at before buying or selling options?

Thanks
Bob

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Sagal View Post
Thanks for the info, however I double checked and these mini-contracts are not available at my broker (at Saxobank mini-contracts are available for gold and silver, but not for wheat or corn)

Regarding Live Cattle, I look at Seasonals, COT Data, Supply & Demand (eg. Cattle on Feed Report), and the Stock Indices. I do not trade options on Feeder Cattle.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts