NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one myrrdin with 812 posts (1,274 thanks)
    2. looks_two ron99 with 207 posts (489 thanks)
    3. looks_3 manuel999 with 109 posts (108 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderGriz with 66 posts (26 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 manuel999 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 282,686 views
    2. thumb_up 2,296 thanks given
    3. group 139 followers
    1. forum 1,598 posts
    2. attach_file 93 attachments

Search this Thread

Diversified Option Selling Portfolio

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,687
Thanks Received: 2,651

It is not easy to find promising option selling positions.

Currently I am short:

LH P60 (sold a couple of days ago at significantly lower price of the underlying)
LH C76 (sold today)

KCJ C140 (sold today)

CLK P22,5 (sold at a little bit above $1000 per spread)
CLK C45

I bought back today:

LCQ P100 (profit approx. 42 % - I intend to sell again at lower price of the underlying)
ESJ P1400 (profit approx. 35 %)

As you can see I am quick taking profits in times of high volatility.

I also want to comment that the size of my positions - especially for the ES puts - is significantly smaller than in stable times.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Begins looking more interesting for the option sellers. Currently I hold the following short options positions:

CLK C53
CLK P 25.5
(recommended by Carley)

LHJ C76
LHQ C84
waiting for lower prices to sell the LHJ P60, which I already held, and bought back profitably.

LCQ P110
also holding the LCZ-LCQ spread. Owned the LCQ P100 before, and bought is back profitably.

KCJ C140
KCK C150

NGJ C2.75
Currently legging into this trade, and holding 20 % of the maximum position.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

myrrdin View Post
Begins looking more interesting for the option sellers. Currently I hold the following short options positions:

CLK C53
CLK P 25.5
(recommended by Carley)

LHJ C76
LHQ C84
waiting for lower prices to sell the LHJ P60, which I already held, and bought back profitably.

LCQ P110
also holding the LCZ-LCQ spread. Owned the LCQ P100 before, and bought is back profitably.

KCJ C140
KCK C150

NGJ C2.75

Best regards, Myrrdin

Lean hogs selling calls due to high vol? Or seasonal pattern for correction in March or both??

Also some of these in Q like live cattle in August using that too far away?? When do u expect to get out of these??

Also when u enter are u looking for specific delta or premiums??

Pardon my ignorance

Thnx

LH lean. Hog's?? Is vol high?? Or u are selling due to seasonal?? Expecting a correction

LH lean hog

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

jokertrader View Post
Lean hogs selling calls due to high vol? Or seasonal pattern for correction in March or both??

Also some of these in Q like live cattle in August using that too far away?? When do u expect to get out of these??

Also when u enter are u looking for specific delta or premiums??

Pardon my ignorance

Thnx

LH lean. Hog's?? Is vol high?? Or u are selling due to seasonal?? Expecting a correction

LH lean hog

Trading meats is a very different story than trading other commodities. Whereas grains and beans are sown once per year in the northern hemisphere, pige and cows are breeding at all times of the year. Whereas metals and softs can be stored for a long time at relatively low cost, meat usually is consumed rather quickly. Whereas for most of the commodities prices for the different contract months are closely related to each other, meat contracts trade almost as independent of each other.

If you look for a gold contract month to sell, you only look at DTE, delta, margin etc. When you look for a meats contract month to sell, you look at the fundamentals for this contract first.

Basic for my selling of meat options is a newsletter by Kevin Bost, who calculates the expected price at the expiry of each contract month. He uses at lot of fundamental data, including COT, seasonality, current and expected cash price for certain meat products, and many more. It does not work perfectly, but it is good enough to sell options.

Currently the LCQ contract and the LHQ contract seem to be overvalued, and this is why I sell the August calls. I intend to buy them back when they made about 50 % of the potential profit rather quickly.

I do not take much time to select a perfect delta. I usually buy options at a price between 200 and 1000 USD. The more DTE the higher the price I choose.

In case of further questions please ask.

Best regards, Myrrdin

myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Sold the GCM C1300 / GCM P990 strangle today. In my opinion, Gold should move sideways in the next couple of months.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

myrrdin View Post

NGJ C2.75

Bought back the NGJ C2.75 with a profit of approx. 40 %. Not bad for one trading day.

I tend to buy back NG calls quickly at this time of the year. A cold blast, and losses can be severe ...

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
ys91
Chicago, IL, USA

Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Received: 9

@myrrdin :

Do you follow a similar approach as far as the exit point and maintenance margin goes as is followed by Ron and many others on the option selling thread. Especially for futures other than ES, NQ, etc indices.

I think the main reason for the 3x IMR rule is due to sudden vol. spikes and less reliance on fundamentals and counter liquidity problems in case of massive trade moves. I wonder what's your take on Lean Hog, Grains, Gold etc futures options. I understand mantaining liquid cash percentage in the account at all times, but I wonder if there's a specific rule you follow based on your experience in typical trading behavior for various commodity futures.

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

ys91 View Post
@myrrdin :

Do you follow a similar approach as far as the exit point and maintenance margin goes as is followed by Ron and many others on the option selling thread. Especially for futures other than ES, NQ, etc indices.

I think the main reason for the 3x IMR rule is due to sudden vol. spikes and less reliance on fundamentals and counter liquidity problems in case of massive trade moves. I wonder what's your take on Lean Hog, Grains, Gold etc futures options. I understand mantaining liquid cash percentage in the account at all times, but I wonder if there's a specific rule you follow based on your experience in typical trading behavior for various commodity futures.

I proceed in a different way than Ron regarding exiting and excess margin.

Exiting for short options in commodities:

If profitable, I exit at 10 – 50 % of the entry price. Otherwise, I exit at approx. double the entry price. Usually I choose a chart criteria for the underlying future which is close to this condition (or closer, eg. at 120 % or 150 %). I also exit if fundamentals have changed significantly. After exiting trades, I sometimes „roll“ the trade to a new option. But only after careful study of the fundamentals.

Summerizing: I close my losing short option trades earlier than Ron.

Excess margin:

I do not follow a specific rule, and my excess margin varies depending on the risk of the positions I hold.

I hope I could make my procedure clear. If not, please feel free to ask again.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Marc Abell View Post
Hi,my name is Marc, may I ask you a question? I was just curious if you choose you positions based on trying to keep non-correlated positions? Just becouse I am still trying to determine what limits I should use to avoid being concentrated on one position. Could you help me please?

Yes, the reason why I trade so many different commodities is to keep non-correlated positions. Trades are selected to result in a portfolio of non-correlated positions.

For the same reason I like to sell strangles of one commodity (eg. my current GCM P990 / C1300) or puts and calls of different commodities, moving in the same direction (eg. S puts and C calls).

Sometimes the counter position of a short option is an outright or spread in the underlying future. I currently hold the LCQ P110 and the LCZ-LCQ future spread (seasonal trade), and the LHJ C76 and the LHJ-LHQ future spread.

Best regards, Myrrdin

ys91
Chicago, IL, USA

Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Received: 9

myrrdin View Post
I proceed in a different way than Ron regarding exiting and excess margin.

Exiting for short options in commodities:

If profitable, I exit at 10 – 50 % of the entry price. Otherwise, I exit at approx. double the entry price. Usually I choose a chart criteria for the underlying future which is close to this condition (or closer, eg. at 120 % or 150 %). I also exit if fundamentals have changed significantly. After exiting trades, I sometimes „roll“ the trade to a new option. But only after careful study of the fundamentals.

Summerizing: I close my losing short option trades earlier than Ron.

Excess margin:

I do not follow a specific rule, and my excess margin varies depending on the risk of the positions I hold.

I hope I could make my procedure clear. If not, please feel free to ask again.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thank you sir! Appreciate the help understanding this. I am just starting to fund my account with DeCarley. While the ES/financials have been a bit weird lately, I do like their research/perspective emails sent out. I like the mix of fndamentals and technicals in these.

I was wondering if you prefer to conduct your own analysis using some of the USDA reports out there (for ags commodities) or do you prefer looking at research reports such as Hightower or others. I am quite new to commodities, so "preferred" resources would be very helpful. Once I start (probably small with 10-15K) I'd really like to run my trades by you for opinion. Hope you'll agree to be my sort-of mentor in this.

Cheers!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts