NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Game Plan

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one blackberry with 48 posts (17 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 11 posts (50 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 10 posts (29 thanks)
    4. looks_4 traderkcrq with 6 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one hobart with 5.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tturner86 with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 blackberry with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,413 views
    2. thumb_up 170 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 112 posts
    2. attach_file 19 attachments

Search this Thread

Game Plan

blackberry
newport coast, california

Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 17

Game plan is to deposit $2000 and to start trading live. Utilizing what I have learned in the last year from my market studies. I tested the learned strategy heavily with DAX, RB, CL, GC, 6E and TF. I will observe daily and 240m charts to find direction and 60m chart to trigger my trades and to position my stop loss. I will be accountable to myself and to my journal in order to find out if it's possible to create a small income out of this. My pension is covering my living expenses my wife is still working so there will be no emotional pressure coming from that side of my life.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

lemons 
Tallinn, Estonia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Trading: NAS100

2000 $ and you pick most volatile futures contracts ?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,343
Thanks Received: 26,267

blackberry View Post
Game plan is to deposit $2000 and to start trading live. Utilizing what I have learned in the last year from my market studies. I tested the learned strategy heavily with DAX, RB, CL, GC, 6E and TF. I will observe daily and 240m charts to find direction and 60m chart to trigger my trades and to position my stop loss. I will be accountable to myself and to my journal in order to find out if it's possible to create a small income out of this. My pension is covering my living expenses my wife is still working so there will be no emotional pressure coming from that side of my life.

If you have not traded live before, you may find that there is more emotional pressure than you expect. You may also find that your testing and studying did not prepare you for real trading. But that can only be found out by doing it.

I would say that it is a good thing that you have your living expenses covered. The odds are quite high that trading futures with a $2,000 account will not end well. But if you can afford to see that $2,000 disappear, then it may be a good learning experience.

Then, you may want to try something much less risky, and get your feet wet without jumping directly into the deep end. Or, you might do that first, so you will have a better chance to keep the initial 2,000.

With that size account, doing some trading in index ETF's, especially for something that doesn't move quickly, like SPY (S&P ETF) and a longer timeframe may be a good idea to start. (Actually, SPY can move pretty fast, too, as recent days have shown. But the leverage won't be there to magnify the effects of that movement the way it does for futures.)

One thread on nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) that you might look at is this one: . You may get a sense of how often accounts are blown up.

There's a reason this happens, again and again, to traders who start out without having an understanding of their true risks. It is worthwhile to take stock of this before going forward.

Otherwise, trading may simply turn out to be an expensive hobby.

I'm not trying to discourage you emotionally, but I would suggest changing your plan, and start with smaller steps that may be more manageable. If it seems to you that your present plan is taking small steps and is reasonable and manageable, that is the first idea that you might want to rethink and change.

Bob.

Thanked by:
blackberry

Thank you Bob. For you to care enough to post your opinion. I will not be able to trade live DAX or RB or since the trading margins exceed $2000, smaller instrument only that my small account and my mind will be able to hold. $500 margin, currency futures and index futures only. I tested the theory on demo since February, it is time to man up now and go hunting. The worst that can happen is to give away $2000 to the market. The best is happening is happening already. I feel as excited as when I started my first job and the world seemed filled with wonder. I view my life through lessons or blessings as the writer of my favorite blog trader feed wrote it so eloquently this morning. I'm unable to post a link to it untill I place more posts.

blackberry

Expecting index and CL futures to look for new highs after the stronger end of the day buying spree.
Otherwise, still in waiting for the funds to clear.

blackberry

Index futures are up, the CL futures is up and my account is not funded still. It is what it is. It looks as though the index futures have no more buyers left in the game. This is a sell signal, the 240 candle is topping out.

pilotui 
Oklahoma City OK/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradeovate
Trading: NQ/ES/NG
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 153

CL Margin is more than your account total. Just FYI

Good luck!! Welcome!

Thanked by:
blackberry

pilotui View Post
CL Margin is more than your account total. Just FYI

Good luck!! Welcome!

As far as I can tell, my CL Margin is $1000
Thank you for your note pilotui

pilotui 
Oklahoma City OK/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradeovate
Trading: NQ/ES/NG
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 153

blackberry View Post
As far as I can tell, my CL Margin is $1000
Thank you for your note pilotui

Yes, Day Trading Margin may be $1K but your Maint Margin is probably at least $3K. what brokerage are you with?

Last Updated on September 15, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts