NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Papa's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 339 posts (1,003 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 47 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 43 posts (47 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 43 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 91,224 views
    2. thumb_up 1,216 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 566 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Papa's Trading Journal

trs3042 
Holland, Michigan

Experience: None
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: Acoustic Guitar
Thanks Given: 23,764
Thanks Received: 5,616

papa15 View Post
We had all the family together over the Thanksgiving Holiday and took some family photos. Here are all 15 of the little ones. What you can't tell from this photo is that 8 of them ran a 5k that morning (no I did not, when I retired from the navy, I retired from running). The adults in the 5k photo are my wife, older son and two daughters.

The youngest is Jake. He will have surgery this Wednesday for craniosynostois (two of his skull bones have already fused and must be separated). We have his 3 older siblings and are scheduled to take them to California on Dec 14th post surgery. We will spend 3 weeks or so out there to help his mom. This is one of the main reasons I am taking a break from trading for a while.

I am also doing a psychology course I bought from Upside Breakout in early November. So far, it has been quite good.

Great trading to all
Papa15

That's a great looking family you have there. I think we should address you as "Blessed Papa"!!!

Thanks for sharing,

Rick

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

trs3042 View Post
That's a great looking family you have there. I think we should address you as "Blessed Papa"!!!

Thanks for sharing,

Rick

Rick
Truly I have been blessed, far more than I ever deserved. It is humbling when I think of all I have been blessed with.
Papa15

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

rtrade 
Paradise, USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Big Charts
Trading: E-mini, Forex, Futures, Equities, Options
Thanks Given: 578
Thanks Received: 378

papa15 View Post
We had all the family together over the Thanksgiving Holiday and took some family photos. Here are all 15 of the little ones. What you can't tell from this photo is that 8 of them ran a 5k that morning (no I did not, when I retired from the navy, I retired from running). The adults in the 5k photo are my wife, older son and two daughters.

The youngest is Jake. He will have surgery this Wednesday for craniosynostois (two of his skull bones have already fused and must be separated). We have his 3 older siblings and are scheduled to take them to California on Dec 14th post surgery. We will spend 3 weeks or so out there to help his mom. This is one of the main reasons I am taking a break from trading for a while.

I am also doing a psychology course I bought from Upside Breakout in early November. So far, it has been quite good.

Great trading to all
Papa15

Thank you Papa15, your pictures reminded me what real blessings and real success are...

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." --- "Therefore, I Believe it and I will see it. And every day and in every way, I am healthier, wealthier, and wiser."
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

papa15 View Post

Great trading to all
Papa15

Now thats a bunch of youngins as my grandmother would say!......You are very blessed....have a very merry Christmas and as I am sure you are aware, remember the real reason for the season! Blessings!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

papa15 View Post

Papa15

I too am interested in Upside Breakout....but there are no "buy now" or "order here" buttons on the website. How did you manage to actually figure out what services he offers and how much they are? I've sent him an email with no reply so far.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

aztrader9 View Post
I too am interested in Upside Breakout....but there are no "buy now" or "order here" buttons on the website. How did you manage to actually figure out what services he offers and how much they are? I've sent him an email with no reply so far.

Az
I get his monthly newsletter free and he started talking about the home study course in August and released it in early Nov. The Nov cost was $399. The latest newsletter indicates the price will go up in January (but cost not given) but that those who purchase in January will get 3 50 minute one on one sessions.

I will try to find the email link and send it to you.
Papa15

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and are preparing for a Happy New Year.

I am enjoying a break from trading but am taking the time to do some reflecting on the past year's performance and ways to improve. My nasty habit of not honoring stops caused me to have a few days of large losses; this habit must be changed in short order. Anyway, I am not through with the review, so I will save the rest for later.

Our 6 month old grandson is doing well after his surgery. I bought him a bag of Dum-Dum lollipops. At first I would hold them for him, but he has quickly gained the ability to do it himself.....photo evidence attached...

We will be out here in CA until the end of next week so it will probably be after Jan 10th before I start live trading again....spending my time with more important things..

Papa15

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChristmasatJones2010.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	27378  
Thanked by:

trs3042 
Holland, Michigan

Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: Acoustic Guitar
Thanks Given: 23,764
Thanks Received: 5,616

papa15 View Post
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and are preparing for a Happy New Year.

I am enjoying a break from trading but am taking the time to do some reflecting on the past year's performance and ways to improve. My nasty habit of not honoring stops caused me to have a few days of large losses; this habit must be changed in short order. Anyway, I am not through with the review, so I will save the rest for later.

Our 6 month old grandson is doing well after his surgery. I bought him a bag of Dum-Dum lollipops. At first I would hold them for him, but he has quickly gained the ability to do it himself.....photo evidence attached...

We will be out here in CA until the end of next week so it will probably be after Jan 10th before I start live trading again....spending my time with more important things..

Papa15

Enjoy your time away Papa and that new grandson. Great pic!!!

Rick

Thanked by:

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Really been enjoying time with the family. Have not live traded since about Nov 15th. However, I have been doing some trading related things.

1. I did the Upside Breakout Biblical Principles of Trading course. It covers the psychological and emotional aspects of trading from a Biblical perspective. I found the course very interesting and helpful. I am now working on putting together a comprehensive trading plan based on the last aspects of the course.

2. I have been demo trading on both NinjaTrader and Sierra Charts. I find I like NT better. I am more comfortable with it and it just feels better to me. ToS is a good platform but it does not have the charting flexibility of other packages (not able to customize time periods, no range bar charts, and some other features are lacking). The DOM is more than adequate but does not have ATM. Finally, there is no trade analysis like NT. I am very seriously considering switching to NT.

3. My trading the inside bar setup has gone ok, but I have noticed since Nov there have been several times where the subsequent bar engulfed the inside bar and thus a real chance of a stop had I been trading. My biggest issue with the inside bar is the large initial stops while I have much smaller targets; the R:R is skewed. I am overall profitable using IB but not by much. I have been working with a method of trading to bring the R:R to at least 1:1 (several on this board state this is a necessity and it was also covered in the Upside Breakout course). I have been doing some scalping on the currency futures using range bar charts and have a method that seems to fit my personality and style. This also reinforces the switch to NT.

These are a lot of changes. I had been thinking about these for some time and targeted this family time as the time to think through and work on these issues.

We return to NC this coming weekend and am looking forward to getting back to trading. Expect to go slow to incorporate the changes I mentioned above.
Papa15

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Returned from CA late Saturday night. I was anxious to start trading live again after a 7 week lay-off. In that time I have looked at some other techniques with an eye toward bringing the risk/reward ratio more to 1:1 or greater. My practice trades had shown it could be done.

I traded 6E and CL on range charts today. Basically the technique is to enter on a pullback in the direction of the trend.

I wish real life was more like practice. In execution today I regressed. Too many trades (14, my broker is happy). I moved my stop twice and both times it cost me. That is a habit I thought I had conquered but apparently not. Those two trades ruined the day (and really dinged my account). I had other losses, but they were at the initial stop or I had moved the stop in the direction of the trade as it progressed and thus the stop was less than initial, as it should be.

Not a good start to a new year, but if I follow my rules and common sense, it can be made back. I do not intend to trade this many times in one day again for the remainder of this year. I intend to stop for the day when I reach my daily stop loss, whether it is the first trade of the day or later. (It's not too late for New Year's resolutions, is it?)

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 31, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts