NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Papa's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 339 posts (1,003 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 47 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 43 posts (47 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 43 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 91,224 views
    2. thumb_up 1,216 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 566 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Papa's Trading Journal

casey44 
Louisville KY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT8
Trading: micros
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,040
Thanks Received: 311

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. May there be some blessing in disguise in all that.
And thanks for the reminder tip.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

rtrade 
Paradise, USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Big Charts
Trading: E-mini, Forex, Futures, Equities, Options
Thanks Given: 578
Thanks Received: 378

papa15 View Post
I was the stupid one....

Good trading to all

No papa, you're not the stupid one...you were just having fun. Now get back into your tradin groove.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." --- "Therefore, I Believe it and I will see it. And every day and in every way, I am healthier, wealthier, and wiser."
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

Thanks for the kind words....it was a lot of fun.....but in one sense it does mirror trading....at all times you need to be focused on risk management. In the midst of having my fun, I did not take the proper precautions. I could have 1). taken only my debit card with me or 2) used one of the water tight compartments on the jet ski to hold whatever I took. I did not do either of those.

I should not use the word stupid (but it did fit the old saying), but always looking at risk mitigation is a good thing. One of the discipline issues I have to work on is to check the risk/reward ratio before a trade...in this case, the jet ski's needed gas...my thoughts should have been on what is the least risky way to accomplish that.....

But also, don't lose sight of the other point...how difficult would it be to replace your cards, etc if something happened to your wallet/purse?

I did make my monthly goal in June for trading even with all the distractions. I think the longest I spent looking at the market continually was 2 hours. All the trades were for 5-7 ticks.....done for the week and month.....

My focus is on:
1. Avoid the opening chop.
2. Honor stops
3. Ensure reward > risk on all trades
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

My daughter and her family left yesterday. I am having a hard time getting used to a quiet house again. I did not trade cash yesterday but spent some time doing some sim trading. Today I went back to cash. Did 3 quick trades in CL using the better Renko method; all were successful. I went back to sim after that just to continue building my screen time and get back into my routine.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Getting back to my normal routine.....had a glitch with Sierra Charts but it is straighten out now. House is quiet (almost too quiet after the last 5-6 weeks). Back on Ubuntu (needed to be on Windows while grandson was here so we could play Age of Empires) but now that he is gone, I can stay on Ubuntu....so trading back on SC instead of NinjaTrader.

Today I did 3 quick betterRenko trades on CL before 9:30, all were successful....and I met my weekly goal, so I went back to sim trading.

Yes, my weekly goal is low but for a reason. I have been making money but giving it back. That needs to stop. So, I determined to set a goal that is reasonable and attainable, and one I am happy with, and once that goal is met, no more cash trades. I am then free to sim trade to increase experience, try different instruments or ideas, or do something totally non-trade related. It has done wonders for me. Achieving goals is good. Once I have done it over and over, then I will increase the goal, but that is for another day.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Hope you enjoyed your weekend

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

So far, it has been a rough week for me. Everyday my first trade has gone against me and I started off in a hole. I was able to climb out of it Monday but Tuesday and today, I did not. June was a successful month for me. I had little time to devote to trading, but I really focused on proper execution, taking a small slice of the profit, and being done. I did the same last week and made over half of this month's goal. I quit trading early last week and thought I would be ready to hit the ground running this week, but as I said above, I tripped over my shoelaces.

Part of the issue has been a tendency to jump in before the setup is complete. Part has been trading my bias of what the market should do rather than trading what I see. And part has been me just being plain dumb sometimes.

The method I use to find my entries has been as good as any I have seen or used in the past. I just have to follow it. A summary of the method is:

1. For a long, on the 4 better Renko, the CCI must be green, above 0, and above its signal line; the signal line must be green.

2. For a short, on the 4 better Renko, the CCI must be red, below 0, and below its signal line; the signal line must be red.

3. A key thing to look for are divergences of the CCI as it gives hints the trend may be changing.

Very simple and straightforward system. I use SC in order to color the CCI and signal line to support the rules.

Just wanted to lay it out here for my benefit. Tomorrow is another day.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

My better Renko method works. I have proven that to myself over time. However, using a 4 betterRenko bar it is possible to get the entry direction correct but still suffer a loss on the trade if you use too small a stop loss. I have proven that over and over, especially this week.

Trying to step back and analyze why this happens, it is easy to think that I should use a smaller profit target and thus increase the probability of winning, while keeping the stop loss the same. I actually found myself doing just that several times this week. Getting away from the market and thinking about it shows me just how poor an idea that is. Carried to the extreme, you could enter with a one tick profit target and provided you did not enter at the exact high or low of the day, you could build your account over time.....but who wants to trade like that. It would take an enormous amount of trades to make anything.....and this is where I found myself spiraling down to this week.

I can not identify right now why the 4 betterRenko did not work as well this week as it has in the past for me. I really believe the biggest reason is operator error; I just can't put my finger on the error. Some of it relates to the self discipline issues I have been working on for several months now. Some of it is most likely related to the fact that not all trades work out. Not really sure. What I do know for sure is I have spent way too much time this week in a hole. Monday and today, I got out of the hole but just barely. Tuesday and Wednesday, well let's just say I kept digging deeper and deeper.....

I have said all the above just to say I think I might be looking at too small a time frame at the moment. I think I will step back a bit and look at bigger charts. I want to see if I can go for fewer trades but make each one a little more substantial. I just have felt this week as if things were moving a bit too fast for me and I think I need to slow it down a bit....I will use Mike Winfrey's 5 min odyssey indicator on a 5 min chart for starters and perhaps a 2-5 min chart on the TF as well.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

4 for 4 today. Used a 5 min trade on CL, an inside bar on CL, a 4 betterRenko on CL, and a discretionary trade on TF using some of Bugs Bunny's numbers. All worked. Done by 10 am and quit.

Not a great week but it ended well. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

papa15 View Post
trade on TF using some of Bugs Bunny's numbers

Just to clarify, regarding item #5 in your signature --- your trading plan calls for you to use numbers provided by this member?

Have a good weekend.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 31, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts