NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Papa's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 339 posts (1,003 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 47 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 43 posts (47 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 43 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 91,770 views
    2. thumb_up 1,216 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 566 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Papa's Trading Journal

riley8842
houston united states

Thanks Given: 140
Thanks Received: 0

papa 15
thank you for advice. hard to knowwhat to do- just starting out .i know there's no guarantees just want to avoid as many pitfalls as possible. thank you.
rick

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

riley8842 View Post
papa 15
thank you for advice. hard to knowwhat to do- just starting out .i know there's no guarantees just want to avoid as many pitfalls as possible. thank you.
rick

Rick
Some other advice.
1. Don't go to chat rooms. I wasted a lot of money on them only to realize they really are not the answer.

2. Any thing you think you need to buy to be a successful trader (indicator, method, etc) you can find here on futures.io (formerly BMT) for free.

3. Read several threads. Find one that seems to suit you and paper trade that technique. Be realistic in expectations and in assessing the short falls.

4. If you have read my journal, you might accuse me of being a hypocrite on this one, but once you settle on a method, setup, etc, don't change anything on the chart for 2 weeks. After that, you can change only 2 things every 2 weeks. This forces you to extract everything from that chart that you can. (This is a piece of advice Big Mike really believes in).

5. Go slow. And understand you will not get rich quick by trading. For every supposed success story of someone who took a $10,000 account to a $1,000,000 you can find at least 100, if not 1,000, who blew their accounts out. You WILL blow an account. That is about the only guarantee trading offers.

My focus is on:
1. Avoid the opening chop.
2. Honor stops
3. Ensure reward > risk on all trades
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
riley8842
houston united states

papa 15
thanks again. even with paper trading the investments you're tracking,what elrctronic tracking would you recommend i use(cheap?)will check back tomorrow.
thanks, rick

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

riley8842 View Post
papa 15
thanks again. even with paper trading the investments you're tracking,what elrctronic tracking would you recommend i use(cheap?)will check back tomorrow.
thanks, rick

I am not sure what you mean. If you are asking me about brokers/charting services, Thinkorswim is probably the best available for the money, but the minimum to start is $3500. Has a really good papertrading capability. I saw on another thread Tradestation may be starting a Forex charting service, but don't know anything about it.

I have not traded pure FOREX but there are some brokers strictly related to it....FXCM, FOREX.COM.....I have absolutely no experience with any of these. I suggest you ask a question on the question board about which brokers folks like....on the futures.io (formerly BMT) home page on the right hand side just hit the ask a question button....give all the details you are looking for and ask for advice....folks will answer. I just am not able to give good advice on this topic...

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops
riley8842
houston united states

papa 15,
thanks, i'll do that.
rick

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

I came into today with high hopes that I had turned a corner in my trading, but hope hit the wall of reality.

I did not trade well today. Let us just leave it at that. I know what I did wrong, I know what I must do to correct it, and I will go do it. I just don't want to lay all my faults/issues out in public today.

However, I did come to a firm conclusion. I am a scalper at heart. I have tried to change that, but if you put lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig. When I try to trade for bigger targets, I get very nervous and make trade management mistakes. I don't fully understand why. I am much more comfortable going for quick profits and getting back on the sidelines until the next setup.

So for the foreseeable future, I will not deny my true character. I will scalp. My goal is to be the best one on this forum.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

papa15 View Post
I came into today with high hopes that I had turned a corner in my trading, but hope hit the wall of reality.

I did not trade well today. Let us just leave it at that. I know what I did wrong, I know what I must do to correct it, and I will go do it. I just don't want to lay all my faults/issues out in public today.

However, I did come to a firm conclusion. I am a scalper at heart. I have tried to change that, but if you put lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig. When I try to trade for bigger targets, I get very nervous and make trade management mistakes. I don't fully understand why. I am much more comfortable going for quick profits and getting back on the sidelines until the next setup.

So for the foreseeable future, I will not deny my true character. I will scalp. My goal is to be the best one on this forum.

Ah yes... the dilemma we all face.

The 10 tick area is my demon. I try to stay in and a lot of times I hit BE+1 ...
When trading one car. It may be better to gather all the 10 tickers you can and trade 1:1...

When I can move to two cars staying in will be much easier.

We'll figure it out my friend The key is just to survive until we can get that bank roll built up...

Forward, march !!

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Today was totally different than yesterday. Market was choppy and certainly not easy to trade....by the time I would see a decent signal to trade, the market would change directions on me.....

But I ended up +43 ticks. And I have to say I had that number of ticks after 4 trades, so to say I was happy would be an understatement.

Now to the confession part. I am using a 4 BetterRenko chart and as I stated last week, I have very little experience with this style of bar and for that matter with using the 3 bar entry technique. So, I put aside the 4 trade rule for today, and I took a few, ok, quite a few, extra trades in order to accelerate my experience with this new chart. It was a deliberate decision on my part. The trading was not cash, either. I intend to use simulation through at least next week to get the chart into my head. I want to kick the tires and look under the hood. I am headed towards using just 1 chart for my trading.

I am a scalper at heart. I can't deny it. But I switched back to NinjaTrader today in order to use the ATM feature. I enter a trade with a 19 tick target and a 14 tick stop. The stop starts off trailing, adjust 2 ticks every 2 ticks of price movement. After a few ticks, the setup goes to breakeven. After a couple of more ticks, it starts trailing 1 tick every tick. For my 43 ticks today, I had 2 19 tick winners, 1 5 tick winner, and 1 breakeven trade.

My setup is not perfect, and one day proves nothing.....but I gotta say, I love 19 tick winners....

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Two good days in a row. Did not start that way. The first 2 trades were in the opening chop and both were full losers. The next 2 trades were partial winners, with the ATM adjusted stop being hit for 3 and 4 ticks. The last 4 trades were good winners at 19, 13, 10, and 19 ticks. Again, I allowed myself more trades than normal.

Stopped trading just before noon since had no idea how the market would react to the new FOMC announcement time and the subsequent Fed chairman news conference. Missed the afternoon move as a result.

I continue to grow in liking the 4 BetterRenko chart and in feeling comfortable with it. I will continue to sim trade for a while. But I must say this is the first setup that I have traded that has a realistic chance for a better than 1:1 reward/risk profile. Don't misunderstand, the system can lose as the first 2 trades today showed, but the system can recover.....

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

papa15 View Post
Two good days in a row. Did not start that way. The first 2 trades were in the opening chop and both were full losers. The next 2 trades were partial winners, with the ATM adjusted stop being hit for 3 and 4 ticks. The last 4 trades were good winners at 19, 13, 10, and 19 ticks. Again, I allowed myself more trades than normal.

Stopped trading just before noon since had no idea how the market would react to the new FOMC announcement time and the subsequent Fed chairman news conference. Missed the afternoon move as a result.

I continue to grow in liking the 4 BetterRenko chart and in feeling comfortable with it. I will continue to sim trade for a while. But I must say this is the first setup that I have traded that has a realistic chance for a better than 1:1 reward/risk profile. Don't misunderstand, the system can lose as the first 2 trades today showed, but the system can recover.....

Can we see a chart?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 31, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts