NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Papa's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 339 posts (1,003 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 47 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 43 posts (47 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 43 posts (40 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one papa15 with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 91,224 views
    2. thumb_up 1,216 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 566 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Papa's Trading Journal

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

The market is in a downtrend and today produced a red candle, but for most of the day it sure didn't feel like a down day. Price was up and down for about an hour, and then it took off on a bit of an upswing. It appeared to be chopping some at the higher price when it just took off for the lows of the day. Momentum built up and price pushed to new lows and pulled back slightly at the close. It was a new low close.

I had a profitable day. It was not my best trading but it was a green day. There was one loss in the mix. I did honor the stop, which is a focus I am working on. I have attached a one minute chart that I use to help manage trades. The red and blue dashes are from a super trend indicator stop available on Sierra Chart. I use this and then manually adjust stops, using the stop of 1 bar back (the first fully completed bar). So far it has been a help.

Primary focus remains on short trades, but quite honestly a move up would not surprise me much. This is options expiration week and anything can happen. Any positive news will have a big impact, and I really doubt the market will be down on Friday....the Facebook IPO will have a positive impact in the short term.

My focus is on:
1. Avoid the opening chop.
2. Honor stops
3. Ensure reward > risk on all trades
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2012-05-15 11:03:21.png
Views:	320
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	73613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2012-05-15 17:48:30.png
Views:	341
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	73615  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

I have finally reached a point that I am closing this journal. It has been a most interesting 2 years of recordings. I wish this journal had recorded a path to consistent trading where I could each day write how I just followed my plan and all was well, but alas, it does not. The only thing consistent in this journal has been my inconsistency. I have modified/changed charts, changed techniques, changed instruments, etc.....but the one thing I have not been able to change has been me.

I am working on that. I am re-reading Brett Steenbarger to work on my mindset. As FT71 says in his webinars, the monkey gets out of control at times, and the monkey must be caged. I also am going to switch brokers. Optimus has been fantastic to work with. I have nothing but great respect for the operation Matt runs there. But he does not have a platform with a built in daily loss limit, and quite honestly, I am not ashamed to admit that is a feature I need. I have used one before, and it gives me a much needed backup. I had a good number of days last year and this where at the end of the day, my loss well exceeded my planned daily loss limit. Additionally, there were many days were I exceeded the limit and the market turned around and bailed me out....those days were not good trading days even if they were profitable days.

Once I get things on track, I may come back with another journal.

It has been real, it has been fun, but not all times were real fun. Trade well.

Big Mike, please close this thread.

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

papa15 View Post
I have finally reached a point that I am closing this journal. It has been a most interesting 2 years of recordings. I wish this journal had recorded a path to consistent trading where I could each day write how I just followed my plan and all was well, but alas, it does not. The only thing consistent in this journal has been my inconsistency. I have modified/changed charts, changed techniques, changed instruments, etc.....but the one thing I have not been able to change has been me.

it just means you haven't found what you have been looking for.

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

papa15 View Post

I am working on that. I am re-reading Brett Steenbarger to work on my mindset. As FT71 says in his webinars, the monkey gets out of control at times, and the monkey must be caged. I also am going to switch brokers. Optimus has been fantastic to work with. I have nothing but great respect for the operation Matt runs there. But he does not have a platform with a built in daily loss limit, and quite honestly, I am not ashamed to admit that is a feature I need. I have used one before, and it gives me a much needed backup. I had a good number of days last year and this where at the end of the day, my loss well exceeded my planned daily loss limit. Additionally, there were many days were I exceeded the limit and the market turned around and bailed me out....those days were not good trading days even if they were profitable days.

Once I get things on track, I may come back with another journal.

It has been real, it has been fun, but not all times were real fun. Trade well.

Might I add that in your broker search, you look for one that might allow a trailing equity stop....say trail by 30% once you reach a threshold....that way, once that equity trail stop kicks in, you can't lose more than 30% of your equity high...say it kicks in at $500, you keep trading until you either get tired, reach a goal or you lose 30% from there.....just a thought. Not sure if anyone offers that but worth a look.

On a side note, I've enjoyed your journal, your introspection and your ability to identify the real culprit behind your lack of consistent success. One thing I have learned from the journal process is that simplicity rules, conservative exits are better if I am a scalper and to just do the same thing over and over again to the point its boring in its repetitiveness. I think you realize these same things....

Anyway, looking forward to your next thread...

Never give up....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

PandaWarrior View Post
Might I add that in your broker search, you look for one that might allow a trailing equity stop....say trail by 30% once you reach a threshold....that way, once that equity trail stop kicks in, you can't lose more than 30% of your equity high...say it kicks in at $500, you keep trading until you either get tired, reach a goal or you lose 30% from there.....just a thought. Not sure if anyone offers that but worth a look.

On a side note, I've enjoyed your journal, your introspection and your ability to identify the real culprit behind your lack of consistent success. One thing I have learned from the journal process is that simplicity rules, conservative exits are better if I am a scalper and to just do the same thing over and over again to the point its boring in its repetitiveness. I think you realize these same things....

Anyway, looking forward to your next thread...

Never give up....

No, I am not giving up. I have decided to go with VanKar brokerage. They use the OEC platform, which allows you to set the daily stop yourself. I have been using TPO and/or volume profiles since this past December and I enjoy doing the pre trading analysis it calls for. When I looked at FT71's webinars, things started to click. His emphasis on risk and risk management seem like they will help. I am taking a short break from trading as I get accounts transferred/setup, do some reading, take a short family vacation to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, do a small home remodeling project, etc.

Thanks for the kind words and the support over the last 24 months.....continued success to you....

My focus is on:
2. Honor stops

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

papa15 View Post
No, I am not giving up. I have decided to go with VanKar brokerage. They use the OEC platform, which allows you to set the daily stop yourself. I have been using TPO and/or volume profiles since this past December and I enjoy doing the pre trading analysis it calls for. When I looked at FT71's webinars, things started to click. His emphasis on risk and risk management seem like they will help. I am taking a short break from trading as I get accounts transferred/setup, do some reading, take a short family vacation to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, do a small home remodeling project, etc.

Thanks for the kind words and the support over the last 24 months.....continued success to you....

I think thats an excellent plan....see if they have equity trail stops as well.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Hi Buddy,

I will close the thread as you requested. I hope you will start a new one soon, or re-open this one at some point in the future.

Congratulations on your 40th. Such an incredible accomplishment!

Enjoy your vacation, and here is to your success!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 31, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts