NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The market constantly changes. BUT What stays the same??

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one FABRICATORX with 11 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two DbPhoenix with 10 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Anagami with 9 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xylem with 4 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Doug Phelan with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DbPhoenix with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Anagami with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 FABRICATORX with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,909 views
    2. thumb_up 45 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

The market constantly changes. BUT What stays the same??

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

DbPhoenix View Post
Consider the virgin being tossed into the volcano: sometimes it results in a great crop, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe tossing her in earlier or later will change the probability of a healthy crop. Maybe two virgins are better than one. Maybe six. Maybe tall virgins are more effective than short ones. And surely age is important. But does the robustness of the crop really have anything to do with tossing the virgin into the volcano in the first place?

That's why ancient Mayans were smarter about this, keeping the virgins for themselves and sacrificing boys instead.
I would personally argue that 2 virgins are better than 1, but that's just me.

Thank you for enlightening analogies.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Platform: NT7
Broker: IB, Tallinex, & 10 others.
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 697
Thanks Received: 165

A favorite recurring topic is that of volume (on it's own, as a bar indicator).

If the volume is spiking, and price is still chopping, well that means the auction is balanced, even if there's ten million trades going on. 5 million are buys, 5 million are sells.

For price to go anywhere, one needs to overcome the other, and even at that, the other side needs to agree with them somewhere. I suppose that's where gaps occur.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong (seriously). I don't want to perpetuate false understanding.

DbPhoenix 
Phoenix AZ

FABRICATORX View Post
A favorite recurring topic is that of volume (on it's own, as a bar indicator).

If the volume is spiking, and price is still chopping, well that means the auction is balanced, even if there's ten million trades going on. 5 million are buys, 5 million are sells.

For price to go anywhere, one needs to overcome the other, and even at that, the other side needs to agree with them somewhere. I suppose that's where gaps occur.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong (seriously). I don't want to perpetuate false understanding.

You're not wrong, exactly, but the volume has nothing to do with it. The chop is defined by the price movement, not the volume. Given that for every transaction there must be both a buyer and a seller, there is no such thing as "buy volume" or "sell volume", though some use those terms to define resting orders. Until the transaction is completed, however, there's no print.

At its simplest, price moves up because buyers are willing to pay the ask. It moves down because sellers have to lower the ask to make a deal. The number of traders may have something to do with whether or not an advance continues and is sustainable, but it has nothing to do with the advance -- or decline -- itself.

As for gaps, you ought to look at a 1t chart sometime. You'd be surprised at the number and extent of the gaps in that bar or candle that appears to be whole.

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Also, I just read this (https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/correlation.html)

...which states that correlations CAN exist, but not in all conditions. Sometimes a third variable is involved that once it is met, throws the rest of the correlation out the window.

In this example (from the mathisfun website) we see a correlation between outside temperature, and ice cream sales. But once the temp got too high, ice cream sales dropped, because people stooped going out to buy.

DbPhoenix View Post
You're not wrong, exactly, but the volume has nothing to do with it. The chop is defined by the price movement, not the volume. Given that for every transaction there must be both a buyer and a seller, there is no such thing as "buy volume" or "sell volume", though some use those terms to define resting orders. Until the transaction is completed, however, there's no print.

At its simplest, price moves up because buyers are willing to pay the ask. It moves down because sellers have to lower the ask to make a deal. The number of traders may have something to do with whether or not an advance continues and is sustainable, but it has nothing to do with the advance -- or decline -- itself.

As for gaps, you ought to look at a 1t chart sometime. You'd be surprised at the number and extent of the gaps in that bar or candle that appears to be whole.

I will do that, good idea!

So is volume only completed transactions then? Or is it standing orders just sitting there, anywhere on the print? I feel like I'm so close to wrapping my head around market internals, but you know how it goes, the more you know, the more you know you don't know.

DbPhoenix 
Phoenix AZ

FABRICATORX View Post

So is volume only completed transactions then? Or is it standing orders just sitting there, anywhere on the print? I feel like I'm so close to wrapping my head around market internals, but you know how it goes, the more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Volume is only the number of shares/whatever changing hands.

Volume matters at extremes. It can help the trader determine whether or not a move is climactic and, if so, what he should do about it. Otherwise, it's irrelevant. What matters is the price movement itself: either it's doing what you expected it to do or it isn't. If it is, fine. If it isn't, then you need to do whatever you planned to do in this circumstance.

We may be venturing off the topic here, though.

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

My trading improved once I started to include volume in my analysis. The subject is too big for a post, but do check out:

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Anagami View Post
My trading improved once I started to include volume in my analysis. The subject is too big for a post, but do check out:

Yeah I just totally downloaded that. $5 on Amazon Kindle.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

-Jimmy

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

I like her contextual use of volume as a validation tool for price action. Volume is not always important or relevant, but there are times when it is. It is crucial to know when there is a large participation on a move.

Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Anagami View Post
I like her contextual use of volume as a validation tool for price action. Volume is not always important or relevant, but there are times when it is. It is crucial to know when there is a large participation on a move.

Would you call that the herd/mob/bandwagon mentality?

Or are those the laggards, and the initial oomph comes from big money movement?

-Jimmy

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

FABRICATORX View Post
Would you call that the herd/mob/bandwagon mentality?

Or are those the laggards, and the initial oomph comes from big money movement?

Big volume does not always have the same meaning. There is stopping volume, where the move hits significant resistance on large volume but price does not move much.

I personally focus on what I call inception volume, an increase in volume at the beginning of moves (in the right price action context). This is where the odds are the best for a strong continuation.

I never enter on weak volume, unless it is a choice pullback... but if there is a trend, I am typically in it already.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 20, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts