NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The market constantly changes. BUT What stays the same??

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one FABRICATORX with 11 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two DbPhoenix with 10 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Anagami with 9 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xylem with 4 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Doug Phelan with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two DbPhoenix with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Anagami with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 FABRICATORX with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,909 views
    2. thumb_up 45 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

The market constantly changes. BUT What stays the same??

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

trendisyourfriend View Post
is it not Ed Seykota who wrote: The markets are the same now as they were 5 or 10 years ago, because they keep changing - just like they did then

Did he say that with or without his banjo?

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

xylem
LONDON UK

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 13

For me I believe overbought and oversold are constants in the market. When people always talk of the market changing it feels like their saying you can never be a consistently profitable trader because the market will eventually make your trading plan invalid.

How true is this for somebody who doesnt have a mechanical trading plan?

Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Platform: NT7
Broker: IB, Tallinex, & 10 others.
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 697
Thanks Received: 165

A conversation with my mentor (professional trader i.e. profitable):

Him: [The market] changes every 3 months.

Me: How do you mean?

Him: What was working, stops working, and you have to change all your setups.

Me: Does it cycle? Like what stopped working x days ago, started working again?

Him: Not usually.

Can anyone else corroborate that?

-Jimmy
Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

FABRICATORX View Post
A conversation with my mentor (professional trader i.e. profitable):

Him: [The market] changes every 3 months.

Me: How do you mean?

Him: What was working, stops working, and you have to change all your setups.

Me: Does it cycle? Like what stopped working x days ago, started working again?

Him: Not usually.

Can anyone else corroborate that?

Everything works some of the time.

In any case, basing your profitability on static setups is asking for trouble. Need a more dynamic way to trade. Are you sure your mentor is a 'professional profitable' trader?

Ask yourself: how do I become consistently profitable in a market that does not behave consistently?

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Anagami View Post
Everything works some of the time.

In any case, basing your profitability on static setups is asking for trouble. Need a more dynamic way to trade. Are you sure your mentor is a 'professional profitable' trader?

Ask yourself: how do I become consistently profitable in a market that does not behave consistently?

I agree, static methods are a fools errand. If the market is a living, breathing organism with emotions, why would a single setup always work? I often reference the turtle traders method, and their modern results being somewhat flat.

I often ponder why certain setups work, then stop. Could it be that the reason we think they work, isn't actually the reason they work? You know the cliché, trader Jack makes huge returns making haphazard trades, writes book, gets interviewed by msnbc. Turns out it was just a bull market, and he's an idiot.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

-Jimmy
Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

FABRICATORX View Post
Could it be that the reason we think they work, isn't actually the reason they work? You know the cliché, trader Jack makes huge returns making haphazard trades, writes book, gets interviewed by msnbc. Turns out it was just a bull market, and he's an idiot.

That's just it. It does not occur to most traders to ask whether their setups actually 'worked' in the first place. Could it be that the profitability of their static strategies was merely a function of randomness?? That they 'worked' as a side-effect of something else? That the profit targets being hit had nothing to do with their particular setup??

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Anagami View Post
That's just it. It does not occur to most traders to ask whether their setups actually 'worked' in the first place. Could it be that the profitability of their static strategies was merely a function of randomness?? That they 'worked' as a side-effect of something else? That the profit targets being hit had nothing to do with their particular setup??

Hmm, then it comes down to the trader either:

1. Accepting that he found something that works, but doesn't know why, and being ok with that.

2. Found something that works, and he "knows" why it works (albeit pompously).

3....not sure if he's right on how it works, but will seek to prove himself wrong to see if he's right (which is faster to disprove something than proving something to be correct.)

Am I on the right track?

-Jimmy

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

I can only comment about my own path as a trader, after 10 years of on and off trading (including a stint at a prop firm).

1. stop looking for magical chart patterns that unlock the market and hand billions of dollars over effortlessly

2. focus on making GOOD trades, which essentially means buying low and selling high (this applies equally well in trends, relative to trend's progression), getting in at the right time (when the large operators are!), managing risk (for me personally that means taking a free position ASAP, even at the risk of being stopped out of a trade too early), and letting profits run without making excuses (too many traders look for chart patterns that give them reasons to exit their winners early).

Hope that helps.

Thanked by:

FABRICATORX 
San Tan Valley, AZ/USA

Anagami View Post
I can only comment about my own path as a trader, after 10 years of on and off trading (including a stint at a prop firm).

1. stop looking for magical chart patterns that unlock the market and hand billions of dollars over effortlessly

2. focus on making GOOD trades, which essentially means buying low and selling high (this applies equally well in trends, relative to trend's progression), getting in at the right time (when the large operators are!), managing risk (for me personally that means taking a free position ASAP, even at the risk of being stopped out of a trade too early), and letting profits run without making excuses (too many traders look for chart patterns that give them reasons to exit their winners early).

Hope that helps.

It does, thank you for your time writing that.

I recall (in an old notebook) that the goal shouldn't be to directly make money, but rather it should be to simply trade well. Oh I just remembered, it was that decision matrix thread. Basically, you either worked the plan, or you didn't.

You can't directly control exactly how many ticks/pips you made, but you CAN control EXACTLY how well you traded.

-Jimmy
 DbPhoenix 
Phoenix AZ

Put simply, support is the price at which those who have enough money to make a difference are willing to show their support by retarding, halting, and reversing the decline by buying. Resistance is the price at which those who have enough money to make a difference attempt to retard, halt, and reverse a rise by selling. Whether one calls this money professional or big or smart or institutional or crooked or manipulative or (fill in the blank) is irrelevant. If repeated attempts to sell below this support level are met by buying which is sufficient to turn price back, these little reversals will eventually form a line, or zone. Ditto with resistance.

A swing high or low represents a point at which traders are no longer able to find trades, i.e., either buyers are no longer willing to pay the ask or sellers are no longer willing to lower it. Whether that point represents important support or resistance will be seen the next time traders push price in that direction. But everyone knows this point, even if they aren't following a chart. It exists independently of the trader and his lines and charts and indicators and displays. It is the point beyond which price could not go. Hence its importance, both to those who want to see price move higher and those who don't.

Therefore, before coming to any conclusions about what “works” or “doesn’t work”, and thus does or does not provide an edge, one ought to keep in mind that a given event -- such as price seemingly finding support or resistance at a trendline (or moving average, candlestick, Pivot Point, Fib level or whatever) -- may be only incidental to what is truly providing that support or resistance.

A fundamental misunderstanding of how "indicators" are calculated and what they're supposed to do can lead to all sorts of off-task behavior. We think we see the indicators indicating something, or not, and believe we have made an important discovery. We then devote our efforts to improving the hit rate and the probability of whatever it is we think the indicator is indicating when our efforts ought to be focused on determining whether or not the indicator is actually indicating what we think it's indicating. In most if not all cases, it isn't.

Consider the virgin being tossed into the volcano: sometimes it results in a great crop, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe tossing her in earlier or later will change the probability of a healthy crop. Maybe two virgins are better than one. Maybe six. Maybe tall virgins are more effective than short ones. And surely age is important. But does the robustness of the crop really have anything to do with tossing the virgin into the volcano in the first place?

The money under the pillow is not evidence of the existence of the tooth fairy, and spring will arrive regardless of whether the virgin is tossed into the volcano or not.

Last Updated on July 20, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts