NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

www.isystems.com

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 22 posts (75 thanks)
    2. looks_two Tirutrade with 15 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mattz with 10 posts (16 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 9 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mattz with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Tirutrade with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 36,792 views
    2. thumb_up 158 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 88 posts
    2. attach_file 14 attachments

Search this Thread

www.isystems.com

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

I do not think you can combine systems together via iSystems itself, but I have a few customers who downloaded it via CSV to Excel spreadsheets in an attempt to build some negative correlations.

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,351

SMCJB View Post
Here's some analysis I did do the other night. I filtered to only include systems that have a track record of over a year and are profitable. I think of this as every system that is through it's 'incubation period'. I then calculated their "Profit per Day since Start Date", and "Profit per Day since 'Tracked Since' Date". The chart shows what I got.

Obviously everything below the "y=x" line has performed worse since being tracked while everything below the "y = 0.5x" line has significantly performance worse (less than 50%). The line of best fit, y = 0.2989 says that the average system performance being tracked is approximately 30% of what it was for the full history, but a 21% R Squared isn't that high.

While I can think of several reasons why this may not an effective way to look at every system I would also point out that the "Full History" includes the "Tracked Since History". If I extracted that, the disparity would be even worse. This is why I wanted to have a performance table based purely upon tracked data, excluding the backtest data. The results would be very different. Three of the four systems with the highest Dollars/Day are in the bottom quartile of the ratio.

As an aside, 9 of the 13 (~69%) systems I screened to take a more detailed look at were FDAX systems.

I'm travelling for the next few days but will follow up next week.

This is some great work. Hopefully people will realize the implications of this - real time performance is usually not as good as backtest performance.

Thanks for sharing!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

kevinkdog View Post
This is some great work. Hopefully people will realize the implications of this - real time performance is usually not as good as backtest performance.

Thanks for sharing!

I observed that you have a variety of results as it pertains to hypothetical. Some fall far from the desired results, yet some may resemble the hypothetical results, but with bigger gains and bigger drawdowns. As I mentioned, it is important to look at both as a reference.

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
Thanked by:
Three1seventy
Chicago USA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 7

AMP FUTURES has an ISystems page that you can check out as well. I believe that firms are only allowed to list systems that are trading live with real money

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 986

mattz View Post
I do not think you can combine systems together via iSystems itself, but I have a few customers who downloaded it via CSV to Excel spreadsheets in an attempt to build some negative correlations.

Thanks,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

Is there a link to download as a CSV file? I didn't see one at your website. Thanks.

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

phantomtrader View Post
Is there a link to download as a CSV file? I didn't see one at your website. Thanks.

Go to https://optimusfutures.isystems.com/
1) choose the system you wish to evaluate
2) Scroll to the bottom of the systems where is shows performance
3) Click on the Tab that says "Trade Log" or "Session Log". Both will have a small X logo for Excel, and you can just click on it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 986

mattz View Post
3) Click on the Tab that says "Trade Log" or "Session Log". Both will have a small X logo for Excel, and you can just click on it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

SMCJB View Post
Here's some analysis ....

The line of best fit, y = 0.2989 says that the average system performance being tracked is approximately 30% of what it was for the full history, but a 21% R Squared isn't that high.

Turns out that if you plot the R Squared in an excel chart and you set the intercept to zero, then the R Squared is ALWAYS wrong. I found this is out when I did the chart below and it gave me a negative R Squared! The R Squared of the original data, without a forced zero intercept was actually 29%.

SMCJB View Post
As an aside, 9 of the 13 (~69%) systems I screened to take a more detailed look at were FDAX systems.

Face Palm Moment!
I must admit that I have never traded FDAX before and had no idea that it was so large (€320k vs say ES which is $120k). My initial screen was Net Profit and % Tracked PnL / All History PnL. No wonder there were so many DAX systems! Why Net Profit you ask? That's a terrible metric! I know that but Profit is one of the few fields in the table that you can get purely for 'since tracked'.

Anyway this leads me to a slightly modified chart. The following chart is the same data, but instead of calculating daily PnL I calculated Annual PnL as a % of Required Capital. Again X Axis is "All History" and Y Axis is "Since Tracked". Performance is even worse although R Squared (8%) is much worse as well. Eye balling it, it appears that the six data points in the bottom right are skewing the regression. Obvious problem with least squares being overly influenced but outliers but couldn't bother to calculate something more robust. My new initial sort list of 10 systems covers 6 different symbols, with NQ the most popular.

By the way modifying the chart, I realized that the original chart was $/Calendar Day not $/Business Day

Big Mike View Post
Great ideas @SMCJB. Does this have the capability to do portfolio level testing, to look for risk opportunities?

As far as I know, and based upon @mattz comment it does not, but my goal is to develop a methodology to do exactly that myself. Portfolio of uncorrelated systems to maximize Return/Drawdown. As they say, Diversification is the only free lunch!

mattz View Post

Thanks,
Matt Z

Exactly. Matt I hope to call you tomorrow.

kevinkdog View Post

Thanks for sharing!

When it comes to system performance, in sample vs out of sample, incubation etc, I've learnt a lot from you Kevin, and would have probably approached this differently (and incorrectly) before I met you! Thank You.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,212
Thanks Received: 101,599

SMCJB View Post
As far as I know, and based upon @mattz comment it does not, but my goal is to develop a methodology to do exactly that myself. Portfolio of uncorrelated systems to maximize Return/Drawdown. As they say, Diversification is the only free lunch!

Excellent work as always @SMCJB.

Diversification is the only holy grail

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

mattz View Post

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Matt Z

Not the best of formats, but usable.

So this is the 10 Systems I quickly picked. Haven't done any portfolio optimization at all at this point, just constructed a portfolio that trades one lot of each system, which is obviously very unweighted.

Slope ...
during pure backtest (blue) was $195/calendar day
during mixed backtest/live (red) was $334/calendar day
during pre live-tracked (blue+red) was $268/calendar day
during live/tracked (green) was $143/calendar day

Obviously live is quite a bit less than backtest. Max drawdown was about 13K but since all 10 systems have been live, just over 13 months, there's been two different 10k drawdowns.

Last Updated on February 5, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts