NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My review of StrategyQuant from strategyquant.com after 10 days of trial.

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Christophe with 3 posts (11 thanks)
    2. looks_two Mabi with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 markfric with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Sawyer with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Christophe with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two solotrader with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Mabi with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 markfric with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 31,832 views
    2. thumb_up 25 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 18 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

My review of StrategyQuant from strategyquant.com after 10 days of trial.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Christophe View Post
I wanted to test the software on ES and CL. Already I could see the first limitation of the software. SQ seems to be primarily developed for Forex traders. The only way to import futures historical data was to import continuous contracts. SQ doesn't have any notions of contract expiry and roll over. Anyway I decided to import a few years worth of 1 minute historical data for both CL and ES.

markfric View Post
it should work for stocks as same as for futures or forex.

So how does the data work for Futures? Do you still have to import all your own data or is their any available data options (for futures)

xplorer View Post
hi there Mark

It sounds to me like you should get in touch with @Big Mike to change your user status to 'vendor', given you are speaking on behalf of this company.

+1

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
 Christophe 
Sydney Australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: CL, ES, AUD/USD
Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 32

SMCJB View Post
So how does the data work for Futures? Do you still have to import all your own data or is their any available data options (for futures)

+1

I believe it wasn't build with futures in mind.
From what I remember and as mentioned in my post you'd need to import continuous futures contract data.

I have noticed the version number hasn't moved. I had version 3.8 in 2015 and it's still the latest version available on their server.
I'd be a bit cautious investing money in this software if no serious update have been made in almost two years.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 George P 
Ath. Gr.

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, 6E

solotrader View Post
We have tried several programs that do claim to find trading systems for you. My company invested about 30K in related software. We have found out that Price Action Lab creates more robust systems and we have upgraded since to all new versions. Support is excellent and they have answered all questions to our satisfaction.

BTW StrategyQuant is almost the same with Adaptrade. Only minor differences that we could find. We are also in the process of testing tssb but no significant results are available yet.

Giasou and kalimera Solotrader,

what is "...tssb..."? Anyway I'd like to contact with you. Please reply.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

George P View Post
Giasou and kalimera Solotrader,

what is "...tssb..."? Anyway I'd like to contact with you. Please reply.

Computer software based on this book: https://www.amazon.com/Statistically-Learning-Algorithmic-Financial-Instruments/dp/148950771X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486308453&sr=8-2&keywords=david+aronson

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Mabi 
sweden

Platform: NinjaTrader,MetaTrader
Trading: futures, FX
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 136

I got Strategyquant (SQ) in mid 2016. Tried to make it work with Futures and Ninjatrader. I gave that up for various reasons. The largest reason was that since SQ spits out millions of strategies there is a need to be able to test them in SQ and not in Ninjatrader. Since we can only use selected time frame in SQ with Ninjadata the accuracy is not there, You simply do not know if the result from your test match the reality. And how would you go about to test 1000 strategies in Ninjatrader Market replay. Well i tried and found that 99.99% failed and gave up.

But then i switched to MT4 and Forex and since November 2016 i have added strategies to Forex portfolios made in SQ and are today pretty happy that i did. It seems to work fine even thought it is just as much work making and testing strategies as before i had SQ but the reults is better and today i have 3 portfolios (41 strategies) that all are in profit. 15%, 8%, 6%. that are traded with real money. I also have 2 demo accounts were one are at 26% !! and one at 8 % profit. Now they have all had large drawdowns but have now made new highs which is cool. I would however claim that this works and actually Forex is not bad since you size you positions better and create hughe portfolios which are great for stability and minimising of stagnation and drawdowns.

Thanked by:

Mabi 
sweden

Platform: NinjaTrader,MetaTrader
Trading: futures, FX
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 136

Mabi View Post
I got Strategyquant (SQ) in mid 2016. Tried to make it work with Futures and Ninjatrader. I gave that up for various reasons. The largest reason was that since SQ spits out millions of strategies there is a need to be able to test them in SQ and not in Ninjatrader. Since we can only use selected time frame in SQ with Ninjadata the accuracy is not there, You simply do not know if the result from your test match the reality. And how would you go about to test 1000 strategies in Ninjatrader Market replay. Well i tried and found that 99.99% failed and gave up.

But then i switched to MT4 and Forex and since November 2016 i have added strategies to Forex portfolios made in SQ and are today pretty happy that i did. It seems to work fine even thought it is just as much work making and testing strategies as before i had SQ but the reults is better and today i have 3 portfolios (41 strategies) that all are in profit. 15%, 8%, 6%. that are traded with real money. I also have 2 demo accounts were one are at 26% !! and one at 8 % profit. Now they have all had large drawdowns but have now made new highs which is cool. I would however claim that this works and actually Forex is not bad since you size you positions better and create hughe portfolios which are great for stability and minimising of stagnation and drawdowns.

Still running one of those first portfolios i made on forex with SQ it is now at 178 % and made me close to 4 k.

Thanked by:
 shinobe 
Vista, CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

StrategyQuant has gone through iterations since Christophe's review. Has anyone tried or been using SQ recently? What has been your experience so far? How does it compare to GSB, for example?

Thanked by:

Sawyer 
Berlin, Germany

Experience: None
Platform: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 50

Does anybody use Multicharts to trade strategies generated via Strategyquant?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Hemmo 
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MC, TS, SQX, Build Alpha
Broker: IB, TS, OANDA
Trading: CFDs, Futures
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 38

Sawyer View Post
Does anybody use Multicharts to trade strategies generated via Strategyquant?

I bought an Ultimate SQX license mid-year but unfortunately, I have not had the time since then to really deep dive into the software and use the many online resources for learning and using the modules within SQ X. However, I did quite a bit of pre-purchase due diligence to understand what I was buying. The support guys at StrategyQuant had no hesitation in extending my trial period to allow me to test the ability to export out the SQX strategies and import them into MultiCharts.

From reading the previous review posts in this thread, I can see that the SQX software has changed a lot with many of the shortcomings previously raised now being covered. As a result, I recommend checking out the free trial if you really want to see the software before purchase.

If you haven't already seen this webpage, this is a crucial resource for matching up the strategies between SQX and MultiCharts:

https://strategyquant.com/blog/how-to-build-and-backtest-strategies-in-multicharts/

Please note, I'm not a vendor of the SQX product, just a previous buyer.

Last Updated on January 29, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts