NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Interactive Brokers not allowing futures trading in IRAs

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jackbravo with 12 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two ge55 with 7 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 harvester with 5 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ron99 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one pedalon with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two davespain with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 harvester with 3.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 27,171 views
    2. thumb_up 64 thanks given
    3. group 18 followers
    1. forum 59 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Interactive Brokers not allowing futures trading in IRAs

davespain 
barcelona spain

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninja, investor rt, ts
Trading: ES and NQ
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 23

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I spent some time Friday speaking with different brokers and IRA trustee companies. It seems to me that there are two options to use for me to continue to trade futures in my IRA. One is to move to a broker similar to IB such as TOS that does not use a 3rd party trustee company and also offers stock and option trading at a reasonable cost. The other is to use a trustee company with a discount futures trading company. Total cost seems to be lower with the later option. However, I still may not go that route simply due to the lower complexity of using a single source broker such as TOS.

Anyhow, below is a comparison I did to get an understanding of the different cost options in case you are interested.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
arrowTrader
Northern California

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 2

That's a nice comparison chart. One key feature of IB is their Universal Account where you can trade futures, stocks, and options from the same account. I'm not aware of another retail broker that offers this capability. in this case, if you wanted the flexibility to trade both futures and stocks from your IRA, moving your IRA from IB to another broker could mean splitting your funds into two separate accounts (might be with the same broker) and paying two sets of fees.

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

arrowTrader View Post
One key feature of IB is their Universal Account where you can trade futures, stocks, and options from the same account. I'm not aware of another retail broker that offers this capability.

OptionsXpress offers all three types of trading in one account. But they don't allow any futures trading in IRA accounts as of a couple of years ago.

Thanked by:
 butch1130 
NC

Platform: Ninja
Broker: DTNIQ
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 13

I can't believe how IB has handled the policy change.

They have a bulletin for each and every hiccup in data drops, trading hours, etc. yet they didn't even bother to tell anyone about the change in policy. That lack of communication is what leads me to not trust them.

What a pain it has been trying to get a custodian, etc. A nice 300 per year charge on top of all of the headache.

Thanks IB. Really appreciate it.

clacy 
Kansas City, MO

Platform: N/A
Trading: ETF
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Thinkorswim is an option that allows futures, options and stocks as far as I know. I applied last night and waiting for approval before transferring my IB account over to TOS.

I think they act at their own custodian, or maybe have an arrangement with a custodial company, so there are no large fees that I know of.

butch1130 
NC

Platform: Ninja
Broker: DTNIQ
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 13

Thanks for that information.

Please be careful.

The fees are outrageous

our standard rate is $2.25 plus exchange fees is what they quoted me at TOS.

The 300 custodian fees are just going to have to be overhead now. One good trade.

Still annoying.

jackbravo 
SF, CA/USA

Platform: SC
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: NQ...uh..ES actually
Thanks Given: 4,362
Thanks Received: 2,400

uh....i'm still trading futures in my IRA account with IB.......what gives ???

harvester 
Houston, Texas USA

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts, TradeStation, NeuroShell, AmiBroker
Broker: Interactive Brokers, TradeStation, DTN/IQ
Trading: TF, EMD, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 91

jackbravo View Post
uh....i'm still trading futures in my IRA account with IB.......what gives ???

Not sure how that is still possible?? For me, I was shut down last Friday executing auto-trades from MultiCharts. I started receiving pop-up messages out of MultiCharts telling me that I didn't have the proper account permissions.

That's when I called IB, and started asking questions. They told me that any open futures trades would be allowed to continue past the March 6/Midnight decision point, but once closed that would be the final trade allowed. Ongoing, no subsequent trades would be allowed.

Did you already have something open, or did you actually initiate something since the cutoff time?

Thanks,
-harvester

jackbravo 
SF, CA/USA

Platform: SC
Broker: Stage 5
Trading: NQ...uh..ES actually
Thanks Given: 4,362
Thanks Received: 2,400

harvester View Post
Not sure how that is still possible?? For me, I was shut down last Friday executing auto-trades from MultiCharts. I started receiving pop-up messages out of MultiCharts telling me that I didn't have the proper account permissions.

That's when I called IB, and started asking questions. They told me that any open futures trades would be allowed to continue past the March 6/Midnight decision point, but once closed that would be the final trade allowed. Ongoing, no subsequent trades would be allowed.

Did you already have something open, or did you actually initiate something since the cutoff time?

Thanks,
-harvester

I didn't even know about it. I've probably traded around 100 round trips in various futures since Friday.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Be careful when transferring your IRA's.
There were new US IRS Tax Rules that came into effective in 2015 which I believe only allows individuals to make one transfer a year. Additional transfers I believe can be taxed.

IRS Clarifies Application of One-Per-Year Limit on [AUTOLINK]IRA[/AUTOLINK] Rollovers, Allows Owners of Multiple IRAs a Fresh Start in 2015
"Although an eligible IRA distribution received on or after Jan. 1, 2015 and properly rolled over to another IRA will still get tax-free treatment, subsequent distributions from any of the individual’s IRAs (including traditional and Roth IRAs) received within one year after that distribution will not get tax-free rollover treatment. "

NOTE: I'm a trader not an accountant. While I believe this information to correct it actually may not be so you should probably check with your accountant.

Last Updated on April 29, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts