NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VSA for ThinkorSwim

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one snowcloud with 93 posts (25 thanks)
    2. looks_two StockJock with 91 posts (27 thanks)
    3. looks_3 cbritton with 37 posts (71 thanks)
    4. looks_4 swimtrader with 22 posts (19 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Hornblower with 2.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cbritton with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 StockJock with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 snowcloud with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 309,722 views
    2. thumb_up 223 thanks given
    3. group 86 followers
    1. forum 434 posts
    2. attach_file 131 attachments

Search this Thread

VSA for ThinkorSwim

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS, TS & MC
Broker: TDA & TS
Trading: Stock, Options and now Futures (ES)
Thanks Given: 227
Thanks Received: 140

Massive l View Post
...I don't use the indicator now that I understand the VSA concepts but the 'test for supply' is money for the daily, 4hr, and 1hr charts.

Massive, from your experiences, which of the above 3 time frames, if any, generally elicited the best results?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
 ulgolog 
adana turkey

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: FXCM
Trading: forex
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 10

YertleTurtle View Post
I have some questions about the input settings for VPA. Why is the default for low close factor .25? Shouldn't this be .3? Also what do gdoji factor and wick factor indicate?

they are multipliers that help define if the bar will be marked a gravestone doji. gdoji is a cofactor in determining body size and wick factor in determining wick size i.e. how big a body and what size wicks will qualify as a gravestone doji... the code is:
rec isGraveDojiBar = (spread > avgSpread) && (AbsValue(open - close) < (GdojiFactor * spread)) && ((AbsValue(close - low) < (WickFactor * spread)) or (AbsValue(open - low) < (WickFactor * spread))); # less strict Gravestone Doji

Thanked by:
 ulgolog 
adana turkey

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: FXCM
Trading: forex
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 10

With the brief experience I've had with it, seems like the VPA indicator's best funtionality may be as a trainer to constantly remind one to take note of the volume... Seems to be more useful as a kind of occasional confirming indicator secondary to price action, and its predictive power seems to be very short-lived due to its bar by bar nature... Even after reading up on VSA literature, that's about all I can do with it so far; and I cannot make some kind of rule-based entry/exit thing out of it... VSA itself seems to be open to a lot of interpretation since you are always supposed look at it in context of bacground strength. Oh well...

a worksheet is attached just in case anyone wants to develop ideas or definitions on something already semi-organized. Has a cheat sheet with symbols, labels, some explanations and the code.

VPA_ninja2STUDY.ts is the same VPA massive posted with a minor change (included only because I noticed that the xcell sheet refers to it) If used, it should probably be renamed to its original name which was (?) with some version number... The only changes are that the above red and green nullifiers don't exist… INSTEAD, all symbols above candles are somewhat bearish to bearish indications, all symbols below candles are bullish or "less bearish" in varying degrees. So, instead of a nullifying red square under a symbol, there is a blue square ABOVE the candle; and instead of a nullifying green square above a candle, there is a violet/purplish square UNDER the candle. (I think that's the way it is anyways)

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: VPA_ninja2STUDY.ts
Elite Membership required to download: TOS_Ninja_VPA_CHEAT_v01.xls
Thanked by:

YertleTurtle 
Portland, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 362

Ulgolog - this looks really nice. Thanks for doing this. I've been reading up on VSA and I agree that this won't make an effective automated system or give precise rules for entry and exit. I've used the ToS version and find that when volume is particularly low it generates a lot of signals (lunchtime for the ES for example) and I generally disregard entirely. Higher time frame signals get more weight from me and are also more rare.

I have just started playing around with NT. Do they allow downward facing triangles? It seems like this is a more intuitive bearish indicator.

cbritton 
Atlanta, Georgia

Platform: NT
Broker: DDT
Trading: ZN, ZB
Thanks Given: 152
Thanks Received: 256

YertleTurtle View Post

I have just started playing around with NT. Do they allow downward facing triangles? It seems like this is a more intuitive bearish indicator.

NT has downward facing triangles. See post #1 for a screenshot.

Regards,
-C

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu
Started this thread Reply With Quote

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

TonyB View Post
Massive, from your experiences, which of the above 3 time frames, if any, generally elicited the best results?

The daily was more consistent for going long but of course the signal turned up less frequently.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

YertleTurtle 
Portland, USA

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 362

ulgolog,

I've been playing around with your NT version. There are some diamond indicators being generated, both on the bar and below the bar but no reference in your cheat sheet. What do these indicate? (I see both turquoise and green ones)

srgtroy 
Los Angeles, California Republic
Legendary  R.I.P. 1965-2023 

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,375
Thanks Received: 3,722

snowcloud View Post
I haven't posted in a long time but am dropping in today to share a particularly clear example of the VPA study working quite well on a 2-minute 6e chart (see attachment)...

Snowcloud,

I notice that you are using version 1.08. The last version I saw posted and that I am using is 1.07a. Anyway to get this new version? It's an excellent study.

P.S. -- this is regarding your post in early february.

snowcloud
LA, CA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 25

srgtroy View Post
Snowcloud,

I notice that you are using version 1.08. The last version I saw posted and that I am using is 1.07a. Anyway to get this new version? It's an excellent study.

P.S. -- this is regarding your post in early february.

I've been frying other fish for a number of months and frankly don't remember the changes I had made in 1.08. To figure out what they are it will be necessary to dig through the code and compare it to 1.07a. All I remember is that I was happy with whatever changes I had made. I started frying other fish before I had a chance to post the new version and offer comments on it.

I'll be frying other fish for the rest of this year at least so I don't expect to make any more changes to 1.08. When the fish are fully cooked I'll serve them up.

The file is attached so give it a try if you'd like!

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: VPAv1_08STUDY.ts
StockJock
Chicago + Illinois/USA

Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 154

snowcloud,

Thanks for your dedication and hard work in translating and updating the VPA indicator for TOS.

Last Updated on May 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts