NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The CL Crude-analysis Thread

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 683 posts (1,274 thanks)
    2. looks_two mfbreakout with 303 posts (479 thanks)
    3. looks_3 WilleeMac with 275 posts (218 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ron99 with 165 posts (262 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mfbreakout with 1.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ron99 with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 WilleeMac with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 606,440 views
    2. thumb_up 3,558 thanks given
    3. group 286 followers
    1. forum 2,696 posts
    2. attach_file 644 attachments

Search this Thread

The CL Crude-analysis Thread

WilleeMac 
Prospect, KY. USA

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: /CL
Thanks Given: 309
Thanks Received: 617

It will be interesting to see how this plays out

0830 - 40amET today

-Bill

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
tomas262
Ostrava, Czech Republic

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 38

I really didn't expect crude to do such a nice slide down ... I actually like it because then it has a nice space back up for trading .... lots of opportunities now and then but still volatility remains more important for me than actual price. It's just a number. So let it go to 10 dollars. Drivers and airliners will be happy at least

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

WoodMackenzie: Analysis of 2,222 oil fields suggests if Brent falls to $40 a barrel 1.6% of global oil supply could be cash negative

Thanked by:

WilleeMac 
Prospect, KY. USA

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: /CL
Thanks Given: 309
Thanks Received: 617

Yes sir

For now today, the week(?), month(?) 46 clams seems to be the agreed upon price. However GS came out today and slashed forecast on this, that and the other.

Quoting 
Analysts at Goldman Sachs cut their three-month forecasts for Brent to $42 a barrel from $80 and for the U.S. West Texas Intermediate contract to $41 from $70 a barrel. The bank cut its 2015 Brent forecast to $50.40 a barrel from $83.75 and U.S. crude to $47.15 a barrel from $73.75.

Oil prices extend falls; Goldman Sachs slashes forecasts - BNN News

And we can't forget the argument over what shale oil needs in order to cover junk bond debt - I've heard figures as high as 120 bucks/ barrel.

I dunno, I just trade what I see - flat at the end of each day (and the sooner the better.)

-Bill

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

CobblersAwls 
London, United Kingdom

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: N/A
Broker: Bloomberg
Trading: Energies
Thanks Given: 1,089
Thanks Received: 386

Hello,

I was thinking about Mike's poll and noticed the shift from being a majority vote for $70, swinging to $30 as we experienced a large fall that same/following day. To me, $30 is unrealistic and $20 is just insane, here's why:

Say we have a futures account with $25,000.00 loaded up. If oil were to reach $20 per barrel, we could literally just buy 1 contract of oil and hold it indefinitely and never get liquidated on the position. If it rose to $40 per barrel (extremely probable) you would have doubled your money. $60 and you've tripled your investment.

Even at $30 per barrel you could buy and hold. Sure price could go to $5 but then simply add another $5k margin to your account for a few weeks.

The cyclical nature of Oil is nothing new, supply and demand have always lagged behind one another at different stages. Yes, we may see low oil prices for a considerable time but prices cannot stay low forever and eventually they should rise once again, perhaps not to $100+ but experts agree that the $60-$80 range would be considered 'fair value'.

Now there is of course one big issue with this, and that is expiration. However looking at the Open Interest for CL, we can see that DEC15 actually has more open interest than any other month except for the current (MAR15) and already has a significant amount of volume traded for it's length. Having said that, the spreads between MAR and DEC are about $6, however the spread for rollover is normally around $0.50, so it could be more profitable to manually roll each position toward expiry (9 * $0.50 = $4.50) or if there is a convergence in price at some stage throughout the month.

This is all just speculative in nature and we would have to see how forward months reacted if price reached as low as $20-30, perhaps they wouldn't follow so keenly, but in my opinion it could be something to consider.

Let me know your thoughts, whether you think I'm a lunatic or there's a simple flaw in my ideology.

Cheers,

Awls

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

CobblersAwls View Post
Say we have a futures account with $25,000.00 loaded up. If oil were to reach $20 per barrel, we could literally just buy 1 contract of oil and hold it indefinitely and never get liquidated on the position. If it rose to $40 per barrel (extremely probable) you would have doubled your money. $60 and you've tripled your investment.

This has never and will never drive price.

Oil is being squeezed and pulled by the largest players at the moment. Either $70 or $30 may seem unlikely, but are not out of the picture. A lot of people are calling for $30, the more that jump on the bandwagon the less likely I believe will get there.

But just because it doesn't get to $30 doesn't mean that $70 is in the picture either. I can easily range in the $40-$50 range until a player decides what they are doing.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

CobblersAwls View Post

I'm not sure I understand your logic? What does how much money have in your account have to do with where the price is going to go?

CobblersAwls View Post
The cyclical nature of Oil is nothing new, supply and demand have always lagged behind one another at different stages.

Agree.

CobblersAwls View Post
Yes, we may see low oil prices for a considerable time but prices cannot stay low forever

Why not? They stayed a lot lot lower than this for decades.

CobblersAwls View Post
Now there is of course one big issue with this, and that is expiration. However looking at the Open Interest for CL, we can see that DEC15 actually has more open interest than any other month except for the current (MAR15) and already has a significant amount of volume traded for it's length. Having said that, the spreads between MAR and DEC are about $6, however the spread for rollover is normally around $0.50, so it could be more profitable to manually roll each position toward expiry (9 * $0.50 = $4.50) or if there is a convergence in price at some stage throughout the month.

Feb, Mar, Apr & Jun all have higher OI than Dec, but even so I'm not sure what the relevance of that is. I assume you know why Dec has such a high OI? If you page forward on Bloomberg and look at Z7, Z8, Z9, Z0 etc I think you will see why.

Thanked by:

CobblersAwls 
London, United Kingdom

SMCJB View Post
I'm not sure I understand your logic? What does how much money have in your account have to do with where the price is going to go?

Sorry, I should have made it clearer, but with a 1 lot trade, each $1 move in CL is equivalent to $1,000. Therefore with a $20,000 account you could buy 1 lot CL at $20 and 'technically' hold it indefinitely.

SMCJB View Post
Why not? They stayed a lot lot lower than this for decades.

Here is where I would say things get more complicated and difference of opinion will surface. I think that we could have low Oil prices for a while ($50 region) but at $20 only OPEC producers will be left, and even they will be struggling to scratch. Arthur Berman wrote an interesting piece recently about the true cost of extracting in certain shale regions, stating that for most they need $80+ to cover costs and recent surveys stating they can survive sub $60 are skewed, only including costs for extraction and not operational and staffing costs. Once we see the weak links shaken out I think we'll see OPEC cut production until price rises to a more sustainable rate.

The point was that at $20 per barrel, I think an investment of $20,000 could see a good ROI.

SMCJB View Post
Feb, Mar, Apr & Jun all have higher OI than Dec, but even so I'm not sure what the relevance of that is. I assume you know why Dec has such a high OI? If you page forward on Bloomberg and look at Z7, Z8, Z9, Z0 etc I think you will see why.

FEB, APR and JUN have lower OI from looking at the chart posted. DEC has 192k, whereas FEB has 158k (also expiring soon), APR has 115k and JUN 144k.

As for the correlation with DEC Oil and Eurodollars, I don't quite get the correlation, are you referring to the transfer of petrodollars? Please explain as I'm always looking to learn.

Thanked by:

CobblersAwls 
London, United Kingdom

tturner86 View Post
This has never and will never drive price.

Oil is being squeezed and pulled by the largest players at the moment. Either $70 or $30 may seem unlikely, but are not out of the picture. A lot of people are calling for $30, the more that jump on the bandwagon the less likely I believe will get there.

But just because it doesn't get to $30 doesn't mean that $70 is in the picture either. I can easily range in the $40-$50 range until a player decides what they are doing.

Hi tt86,

I didn't mean to imply that it needs to actually hit $30 or $70, I just used the poll as a reference to what got me thinking about this topic. You are right, we could hover around $40 for a long time, I just wanted to suggest that, at $20 per barrel, one could technically hold a 1 lot trade indefinitely with a reasonably low investment.

Of course there are restrictions such as the rollovers I mentioned, but what others can you think of?

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

CobblersAwls View Post
Hi tt86,

I didn't mean to imply that it needs to actually hit $30 or $70, I just used the poll as a reference to what got me thinking about this topic. You are right, we could hover around $40 for a long time, I just wanted to suggest that, at $20 per barrel, one could technically hold a 1 lot trade indefinitely with a reasonably low investment.

Of course there are restrictions such as the rollovers I mentioned, but what others can you think of?

The average retail trader wouldn't be able to stomach the big ups and downs and odds are would sell at the worst time only to watch it whip back in their fav tenfold.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 23, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts