NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Grasiu's Haven

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one grasiu with 15 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two ratfink with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DavidHP with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,087 views
    2. thumb_up 16 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 20 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Grasiu's Haven

grasiu 
Gdansk, Poland

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader + Jigsaw
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: US Treasuries
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 18

Long story short I'm a former pro poker player transitioning to day trading (long story long here: ).

In the beginning this is not gonna be a typical journal. I won't be posting any trades, simply because... I will not trade even sim yet. I will only be learning by watching the market. I have something like this in my mind:
Phase 0: Pre-trading research (getting to know the discipline)
Phase 1: Watching the markets (dry learning)
Phase 2: Sim trading (true learning)
Phase 3: Live trading (profit)

I have spent October reading and watching about the subject of trading extensively, so Phase 0 is done. Somewhere along that way I decided, that I want to go with Order Flow, leaving Price Action / Volume Profile as a as a second option for later.
My weapon of choice is Ninja Trader + Jigsaw tools with CQG as data feed and AMP as broker (though I won't be using the last one for a long time). I will be learning using Jigsaw's website and No BS Day Trading course.

So onto Phase 1. Wish me luck

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

grasiu 
Gdansk, Poland

I though NQ was gonna be the instrument I would trade in future, because of the smaller tick size than other index futures and other reasons from: .

But the jumping of NQ on the Jigsaw's Depth&Sales seemed super erratic. The price often moved after just a couple of market orders hit at a given bid/ask level. So I gave ES a try also and it seems way smoother and understandable for me there.
Maybe it's just because the ES market is thicker? On NQ it seems that someone can move the market with just a few contracts.

I watched ES for couple hours and I'll probably stick with it. Nothing set in stone yet, as I'm just starting and getting feelers for everything. I watched 6E for a few moments and it seemed ok too.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

grasiu View Post
I though NQ was gonna be the instrument I would trade in future, because of the smaller tick size than other index futures and other reasons from: .

But the jumping of NQ on the Jigsaw's Depth&Sales seemed super erratic. The price often moved after just a couple of market orders hit at a given bid/ask level. So I gave ES a try also and it seems way smoother and understandable for me there.
Maybe it's just because the ES market is thicker? On NQ it seems that someone can move the market with just a few contracts.

I watched ES for couple hours and I'll probably stick with it. Nothing set in stone yet, as I'm just starting and getting feelers for everything. I watched 6E for a few moments and it seemed ok too.

ES is traded by very big players in significant volume and size per trade, so it moves more slowly and absorbs more orders before moving.

That's one reason some people don't like it -- because it's more sedate than many others.

That's also one reason other people do like it.

Good luck with your journey.

Bob.

Thanked by:

grasiu 
Gdansk, Poland

Spent 2nd day watching the ES.

I have to constantly remind myself not to predict whether the price is gonna go up or down. I have a tendency to think about that, instead of just watching how the orders print in the sales columns.

BTW It was a fun day for me today. Good that I'm liking it, though it seems a bit strange, as it's just sitting in front of the computer staring at some numbers :P

One of the fun moments was when 1500 contract buy market order hit at 2058,75 a little before 10am CT. I was like "wow, that is $150M transaction"

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

grasiu View Post
S
BTW It was a fun day for me today. Good that I'm liking it, though it seems a bit strange, as it's just sitting in front of the computer staring at some numbers :P

Look at the blonde...

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

grasiu 
Gdansk, Poland

@ratfink
<--- You inspired me

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

grasiu View Post

Love It!

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

grasiu 
Gdansk, Poland

Wednesday I had to skip due to some private matters, but Thursday I put in another day of staring at ES. My mind constantly pops up this thoughts "now it's more likely to tick up", "now it's more likely to tick down", "now I'm not sure / it kinda stays at current price". I stopped fighting it, as I decided it is ok to have such a stream in my mind, if I am aware that this is not gonna be itself reason enough to trade (in the future).

BTW what was that sudden spike in volatility at 11:30 CT yesterday (12/04)? Was there some unexpected news?

grasiu 
Gdansk, Poland

Watched ES today again, was quite choppy. I've had enough of simple watching the T&S, so I added power meter and filtered tape.

During the weekend I will watch some videos on Order Flow from Jigsaw and from Monday I'll start adding more to my training, moving forward one step at a time.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 10, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts