NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Question on stop Losses (scalping)

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one donovanshane with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Itchymoku with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tturner86 with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one UTA990 with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two EnsoTrader with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Itchymoku with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,450 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 15 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Question on stop Losses (scalping)

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

I don't understand your question, you're basically stating that you want help with a stop loss on a negative expectancy where you don't have big losers. That's part of the sacrifice.

Why don't you scalp ZB where each tick is $31 and so your commission isn't $4.15 for a $12.5 es tick but $4.15 for a $31 dollar tick. That would be like having a hypothetical equivalent $1.7 round trip commission for ES lol. Only problem is that ZB moves a lot slower than ES.

If you want I can help you out with your MAE stop loss if you respond to my pm.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 donovanshane 
Chattanooga, TN/USA

Itchymoku View Post
You said 4.15 per round trip.

which is it?

wait aren't you the same guy who made this thread ?

Now you're live trading 50 times a day netting $200-$250?

Good luck, I hope you got my pm

Yep. I've been live for a few weeks now trading the /es. Things change. (Like today, I used tick charts for the first time and I've completed 36 trades, all winners (just 1 tick though), so expect a post on that with ?'s. This is my current profit margin. Second, AMP futures matched Ninja Traders commissions. Lastly....this is not a brag post. I just answered questions that were asked. If your a loosing trader (obviously you are), worry about your margins....not mine. As my career advances things will change a lot. This is a great forum, please don't ruin it by questioning people you do not knows integrity. If you spent half as much time on your trading journal as you do looking up and comparing old posts, you might have a career as a trader as opposed t sending private messages and offering to fund them if they can prove it. Make your own money. And for just a second, consider that my numbers are accurate (and they are not that great honestly, these are average numbers in most peoples opinions. ), a post like this is how you open up a potential offer? Really. No thank you.

donovanshane 
Chattanooga, TN/USA

UTA990 View Post
there is an old saying from the floor....you cant eat like a bird and poop like an elephant. so if you are taking 1-2 ticks out of the market you cant lose 5 ticks. make your stop 2-3 ticks when your "feel" is in sync with the market and try to hang on a little longer to winners to tip the math back in your favor. just my 2 cents

Thank you, that helped today. One thing about my feel....I'm still new to the Futures realm. I worry about "feeling" the market. I see almost everyone uses indicators (but they are looking for more than 1 tick though). When I use to trade options , my rules were iron clad. Get in here, out there. Are there a lot of traders that scalp the way I do? By watching and feeling the market? Thanks for your input.

donovanshane 
Chattanooga, TN/USA

kevinkdog View Post
What about setting a worst case stop to be about 4 ticks?

I combined your advise with another guys on this thread. And put my stop loss at 3 Ticks. That being said I used a TICK chart today for the first time, and for a trader like me taking 1 tick here and there....combined with the advice I received from you and the other guy, it has really worked out. Today anyway. Lets see if it has some longevity. Thanks again!

montanajtt 
Como, Italy

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, IB
Broker: Tradestation, IB
Trading: ES
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 299
Thanks Received: 312

donovanshane View Post
I combined your advise with another guys on this thread. And put my stop loss at 3 Ticks. That being said I used a TICK chart today for the first time, and for a trader like me taking 1 tick here and there....combined with the advice I received from you and the other guy, it has really worked out. Today anyway. Lets see if it has some longevity. Thanks again!

Hi, why don't you try to code your strategy and backtest it on a 5/10 years historical? It would give you a more accurate info about what stop to use and profit target. Try to code what you look when you enter the trade and how you manage your position, it can help a lot not to waste money and time on something that eventually you may find can't work.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

donovanshane View Post
Yep. I've been live for a few weeks now trading the /es. Things change. (Like today, I used tick charts for the first time and I've completed 36 trades, all winners (just 1 tick though), so expect a post on that with ?'s. This is my current profit margin. Second, AMP futures matched Ninja Traders commissions. Lastly....this is not a brag post. I just answered questions that were asked. If your a loosing trader (obviously you are), worry about your margins....not mine. As my career advances things will change a lot. This is a great forum, please don't ruin it by questioning people you do not knows integrity. If you spent half as much time on your trading journal as you do looking up and comparing old posts, you might have a career as a trader as opposed t sending private messages and offering to fund them if they can prove it. Make your own money. And for just a second, consider that my numbers are accurate (and they are not that great honestly, these are average numbers in most peoples opinions. ), a post like this is how you open up a potential offer? Really. No thank you.

Honestly this is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on futures.io (formerly BMT), It almost seems made up. The offer to fund you was partly a joke because you obviously can't prove that you aren't lying. I know for a fact you can't keep this system up, the math doesn't add up. If It were legal on here I'd bet $10,000 that you'll blow up in a month at the same rate. You're blatantly ignoring some of the fundamental lessons here about trading. You can't even appreciate my advice about zb either wow. Do you understand how many people have tried to attempt the exact same thing you are and they either leave and never come back or continue to change chart types etc.?

If you knew what you were doing consistently you wouldn't be asking such obvious questions like "where do I place my stop loss with a 1 tick target so I don't get big losers?" or "how do I avoid paying large sums with commission if I have 1 tick targets?" . You know nothing about my trading and I'm not interested in margins. Looking up your previous posts takes a few seconds with a couple clicks. I don't even understand why you're talking about my journal when you don't even have one on here? Why don't you post some of your charts on here putting some effort into your "career" like the rest of us do.

I apologize for coming off sarcastic at first, but you've been here almost two years and the answer to your questions are glaring out in just about every journal and advice given here. It just takes a little research.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on November 11, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts