NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

4K Ultra HD TV as Trading Monitor

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Futures Operator with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kronie with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 vegasjolla with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Trey with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Futures Operator with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Scalpingtrader with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kickmic with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 34,115 views
    2. thumb_up 19 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

4K Ultra HD TV as Trading Monitor

vegasjolla 
Las Vegas

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES,ZB,FGBL,GC
Thanks Given: 39
Thanks Received: 6

Hello Fellow Traders...

I have a question regarding monitors suitable for trading.
I'm currently in the process of building a new computer system, and I'm planning on using a 4K Ultra HD TV to serve
as my monitor. Currently I am utilizing eight 22'' monitors which is taking up too much space. I put the link to a Video Card that I plan to use with the 4K Ultra HD TV, the link for which is also below. My questions are firstly, is this video card compatible with this TV. And secondly, if anyone is currently or has used a 4K Ultra HD TV as a monitor, is the resolution suitable for trading and reading charts? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

LG 55" Ultra HD TV
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55UB8500-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00II6VY6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415572268&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+55%27+uhd+tv

EVGA 970GTX
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415572408&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+970+gtx

Also, these links are the links to the retailers that I am considering purchasing said merchandise from. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this retailer. I have previously purchased computer and related components many times from MagicMicro and have found it to be adequate but not exceptional. Out of the following retailers listed, if anyone can recommend the best one, that would be very helpful.

ComputerLX
https://www.computerlx.com/config.aspx?t=&product_ID=1839

MagicMicro
https://www.magicmicro.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=8206

CyberPowerPC
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Zeus_EVO_Storm_2000

ibuyPower
https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel-Paladin-i7-Special

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
TerminalDown
Fort Worth, TX

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

I've only seen a TV used as a computer monitor once, and it didn't work very well. The basic problem is the computer can't output high enough resolution. I think 4K still isn't high enough. There may also be a pixel problem where the TV's pixels are larger than that of a monitor since the watcher is expected to be further away.

For a graphics card to do 4K, two outputs have to be hooked up to the same screen. If it supports 8 now, I imagine your card has two outputs. It can support 4k.

Thanked by:

Scalpingtrader 
Hanover, Germany
Legendary Amateur Trader

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3,144
Thanks Received: 5,147

I highly recommend not trying to utilize a TV for actual use as a monitor. Fact is, they are just not designed for that level of low-distance detail. You'd ruin both your mood and your eyes but I suspect that's about everything you'd get out of it...

Depending on how you actually use your monitors ie. how your workspace is divided, you might want to consider a setup of multiple 30" PC Monitors. Might even consider using them vertically - again, much depending on how your workspace is divided...

Might be, although I doubt it, that the new 4k generation is indeed just enough to provide sufficient detail for use at close distances. But even then, you'd only have so many pixels to be used for actual PC resolution. Compare the amount of available pixels for 1x 4k screen vs. 8x your current 22" monitors.
I don't think you can arrange stuff in a similar manner.

Thanked by:

kickmic 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Platform: NinjaTrader + Gomicators
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: 6A
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 343

here is the sort of brute you want - IPS monitor so great for off axis viewing

Dell UP3214Q Review

current displayport will run a digital signal up to 4096 x 2160. The "two connections" comment above refers only to DVI - but latest 4K monitors and GPU's feature displayport

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Trey 
Redding, ca.

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: GC
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Hey there.
I got a 55" 4k monitor to replace my 3 30" ones and LOVE IT!!! Once I got the settings fixed it works out fantastic. I initially got an expensive SONY one then bought a cheap HISENSE from Costco. Kept the Hisense one after side by side comparisons. Was no noticable difference. I also use a MSI notebook that will power TWO 55" 4k monitors via HDMI ports or Thunderbolt. It is the absolute coolest running computer I have ever seen. Puts out ZERO heat. It sits quietly closed under my desk. The MSI was well worth the $2400.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

The thread Dell U3014 2560x1600 30" LED monitor has an 'off topic' discussion regarding Dells 4K monitors.

I know that discussion is now almost a year old but at the time... to quote myself...

SMCJB View Post
With regards to the 4k monitors, my initial research implies that you would need a very high end card just to support a single monitor. GPU's currently treat a 3840x2160 monitor as if it were two 2160x1920's, It appears performance on anything below something like a GTX Titan or GTX 780 is sub-standard if you intend to use the monitor for anything graphic intensive. So it looks like you need a $1000 GPU for EACH monitor, hence I'm a long way away from using Dual 3840x2160 resolution monitors. Be interested if anybody else's research implies otherwise.

As a side note, you can get 4K TV's both larger and a lot cheaper than Dell's offerings. But then you probably get what you pay for.

If anybodies research implies otherwise I would interesting in discussing further.

Thanked by:

vegasjolla 
Las Vegas

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES,ZB,FGBL,GC
Thanks Given: 39
Thanks Received: 6

Trey View Post
Hey there.
I got a 55" 4k monitor to replace my 3 30" ones and LOVE IT!!! Once I got the settings fixed it works out fantastic. I initially got an expensive SONY one then bought a cheap HISENSE from Costco. Kept the Hisense one after side by side comparisons. Was no noticable difference. I also use a MSI notebook that will power TWO 55" 4k monitors via HDMI ports or Thunderbolt. It is the absolute coolest running computer I have ever seen. Puts out ZERO heat. It sits quietly closed under my desk. The MSI was well worth the $2400.

Great! I just found an LG 4K Ultra HD TV that supports Max Res 4096 x 2160 through an HDMI 3 input. The NVIDIA GTX760 Video Card works great with LG TVs. The Screen Res and Quality are much better than any computer monitor. Now I have no annoying bezels that get in the way. Watching movies on my computer now with the LG TV is mind-blowing.

And to everyone who replied, thanks a million.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

vegasjolla View Post
Great! I just found an LG 4K Ultra HD TV that supports Max Res 4096 x 2160 through an HDMI 3 input. The NVIDIA GTX760 Video Card works great with LG TVs. The Screen Res and Quality are much better than any computer monitor.

Another 1 year old resource...
https://developer.nvidia.com/4k-ultra-high-resolution-development
NVIDIA GPU support for 4K Resolutions
All GeForce GTX 600 and 700 series GPUs can support 4K resolutions through DisplayPort. The NVIDIA driver automatically detects 4K 60Hz tiled format, so no special user set up is required. In order to power games at this resolution with settings turned up NVIDIA recommends GTX 780 SLI or better.

EnsoTrader
Durham, NC

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 21

My experience has been that TV as monitors or monitors as TV generally aren't that great.

Which ever way you go, though, calibration is a great thing.

Last Updated on September 19, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts