NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

lovetotrade's YM Breakout Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lovetotrade with 255 posts (518 thanks)
    2. looks_two Chippstrader with 19 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 12 posts (43 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 7 posts (22 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Grantx with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 lovetotrade with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 53,206 views
    2. thumb_up 679 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 340 posts
    2. attach_file 292 attachments

Search this Thread

lovetotrade's YM Breakout Journal

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Stage5/Advantage Futures
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 5,241
Thanks Received: 3,656

I never interacted with much fellow traders, but loving to read serious traders discussions on futures.io (formerly BMT).

Due to job I don't get to see my terminal every tick.. So I take position only when I see an opportunity and wait for 5-10 candles price action on these important levels (Pivot, S1, S2, R1 and R2) and watch stochastics crossing. I trigger only when I see that its a perfect with risking 2% trail to hold my profit $100.
My rule is simple If I earn or loose $200 close for the day and NO trading for rest of the day. To control my emotions, I close my live trading account and open Simulation just in case. My first important rule is preserve capital.

Today will be hard to trade as market will open big gap down below S3.

Pivot: 4263.75
S1 4252 R1 4282
S2 4234 R2 4294
S3 4222 R3 4312

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

lovetotrade 
Rockledge, FL

Experience: Advanced
Broker: Gain Capital, OANDA
Trading: GBP
Thanks Given: 1,059
Thanks Received: 813

chipps1983 View Post
I never interacted with much fellow traders, but loving to read serious traders discussions on futures.io (formerly BMT).

Due to job I don't get to see my terminal every tick.. So I take position only when I see an opportunity and wait for 5-10 candles price action on these important levels (Pivot, S1, S2, R1 and R2) and watch stochastics crossing. I trigger only when I see that its a perfect with risking 2% trail to hold my profit $100.
My rule is simple If I earn or loose $200 close for the day and NO trading for rest of the day. To control my emotions, I close my live trading account and open Simulation just in case. My first important rule is preserve capital.

Today will be hard to trade as market will open big gap down below S3.

Pivot: 4263.75
S1 4252 R1 4282
S2 4234 R2 4294
S3 4222 R3 4312

Ok so just trying to get you to think a little bit, how did you come up with the $100 target?

Is that just what you are comfortable with, or is it based off of the MFE of the average move?

You say you have backtested for 6 months with a probability of 60% success rate, so what is the total number of trades you backtested? Are you sure it is enough?

How many low volatility market cycles did you test your conditions under, as pivot points can really shrink during periods of low vol, and do you add more contracts if pivot levels are not wide enough to reach your target?

And probably the most important one, not knowing your account size, is your profit target of $100 at least a 1:1 risk reward compared to the 2% account stop loss? I know you say the probability is 60%, but you want to have a little cushion for trade errors, commission, and slippage.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

Sorry Lovetotrade, I am not able to explain properly. Let me try again and more in details.
I started trading with $9550 (Infinity futures). I was looking for intraday trading since I don’t have much funds to trade in positional which is my ultimate end goal. I am reading “Mastering the Trade” by John Carter. I liked his Pivot trading strategy and started to observe with the levels.
Then I started trading with levels only in NQ100 emini, I initially put 1% risk of my capital and 2% tgt. But It used to hit my SL and run to target. That’s where I started to look for one more confirmation and I added stochastics indicator. I applied and started to observe the price action at Pivot levels along with stochastics with crossover.

Since using this strategy, I am up by $550 so far. I always trail my SL. Let’s say If I enter and price is moving towards my target, I will ensure that I do not end up giving all. If I am up by $100 then I will trail SL just a tick below my entry. If I am up by $200, I will trail my SL to $150. I will continue this strategy until I complete 3 months. And if good profits, I will increase my lot size to 2.

Hope I was able to explain in details. I will post my trades P/L after I complete a month.

Thanked by:

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

Lovetotrade, Todays Pivot of NQ100 emini futures. Watch closely the pivot levels and Stochastics levels.
Pivot: 4173.67
S1 4145 R1 4205
S2 4114 R2 4233
S3 4085 R3 4264

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

Good day. made $485 on 1lot. Strategy is 5/10 mins crossover and stochastics crossover at overbought. thats a good signal in trending market.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27thJan.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	173185  

lovetotrade 
Rockledge, FL

chipps1983 View Post
Good day. made $485 on 1lot. Strategy is 5/10 mins crossover and stochastics crossover at overbought. thats a good signal in trending market.

Cool, sounds like you are getting some consistency. I strongly recommend you start your own journal to document your trades and have a reference. Then you can write out your plan, any psychological issues that come up, and any improvements you might be able to make to your strategies. I also recommend you start a spreadsheet documenting your trading metrics.

I don't mind you asking questions, or wanting to talk about trades or ideas, but these posts of your trades really belong in your own journal

Thanked by:

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

sure LovetoTrade. As soon as I complete a month, I will be writting a journal with all the setup/strategies. I would post real trades performance as well.

This blog is making me to follow my rules/patience etc. FYI, See the chart pic, Pivot S1 and stochastics crossover for perfect entry. I didn't take the trade as I am done for the day already.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-01-28_1235.png
Views:	215
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	173208  
Thanked by:

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

Couldn't risk more than 2% so aovided. But could have been good day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-01-29_Missedpivot.png
Views:	206
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	173328  

lovetotrade 
Rockledge, FL

So I am adding the final element to my trading plan, and is one of the most important aspects that will have been added to my trading. I have mentioned volume spikes in the past, but I am able to filter between large buying/selling of position initiation and profit taking now, and I plan to ride on the coat tails of these large trend initiating orders. They lead to the largest and best trends of the day, and these are the main trades I will focus on.

So my plan is now complete with a combination of the following:

Larger time frame market context
Tracking squeezes of various time frames(periods of low volatility)
Breakouts and failures of these areas as volatility begins to expand
Tracking of large volume coming into the market around these areas.

I am in the process of documenting data points around all of these to finalize my process going forward. As I realize with this being a marathon and not a sprint, that making sure I have my strategy down 100% is much more important than trying to get back into the market as quickly as possible. Gathering all this data is a very time intensive and tedious process, but is so important to my long term success.

I am super anxious to get back to trading, but until everything comes together I must wait. And I am sure it will click once I am at that point.

Chippstrader 
Randolph+NJ/US
Market Wizard

I would love to see your full trading journal. I didn't get setup from last 2 days. I am working on writting my journal.

Last Updated on November 15, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts