NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Demo and live account in parallel

Discussion in TradeStation

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 9 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two ericbrown with 5 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 rahulgopi with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 shanemcdonald28 with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ericbrown with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 confusedxx with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,626 views
    2. thumb_up 25 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 26 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Demo and live account in parallel

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

rahulgopi View Post
SIM account is strictly for learning purpose. Was trying to test few automated strategies realtime. I understand I can backtest the strategies but was hoping to see this in action using a simulated account.

If you just have the strategy running, you can see how it would perform in real time (keeping in mind strategy fills prices won;t always be accurate). The only thing you would not see are actual orders being sent, and fills - that can only be seen in a Sim acct or in real acct. With the strat running, but not in any acct., you'd just see the strategy fills in your performance report. The SIM fills would likely be wrong (compared to real money) anyway.

If by "test few automated strategies realtime" you mean check that orders are sent properly, and fills and cancels come back right, you MIGHT see that in SIM account. But if by "test" you mean you want to evaluate P/L performance, SIM is definitely not good for that.

Hope this helps!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

rahulgopi 
milpitas, ca, usa
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation, Ameritrade
Trading: ES, Gold, 10 Yr
Thanks Given: 1,389
Thanks Received: 4,206

kevinkdog View Post
If you just have the strategy running, you can see how it would perform in real time (keeping in mind strategy fills prices won;t always be accurate). The only thing you would not see are actual orders being sent, and fills - that can only be seen in a Sim acct or in real acct. With the strat running, but not in any acct., you'd just see the strategy fills in your performance report. The SIM fills would likely be wrong (compared to real money) anyway.

If by "test few automated strategies realtime" you mean check that orders are sent properly, and fills and cancels come back right, you MIGHT see that in SIM account. But if by "test" you mean you want to evaluate P/L performance, SIM is definitely not good for that.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Kevin.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
shanemcdonald28
new york

Thanks Given: 665
Thanks Received: 582

hi

I run Tradestation in Sim mode testing multiple automated strategies on currency futures and forex.

Are you saying that the results from these tests are not worth much ?

What is the best way to test strategies in Tstation in realtime ?

I keep getting more and more discouraged with TS.

Of course I also do alot of testing in Multicharts , which I prefer.

shane

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

shanemcdonald28 View Post
hi

I run Tradestation in Sim mode testing multiple automated strategies on currency futures and forex.

Are you saying that the results from these tests are not worth much ?

What is the best way to test strategies in Tstation in realtime ?

I keep getting more and more discouraged with TS.

Of course I also do alot of testing in Multicharts , which I prefer.

shane

Hi Shane -

If you are using SIM to "prove" the profitability of your strategy, I think you are likely to reach bad conclusions. For example, SIM always assumes that limit orders are filled immediately upon touching. Real world that is almost never true. This means scalping type strats are almost impossible to SIM test.

What is the best way to test realtime? It really starts with your strategy. You have to create a strategy that can be replicated in the real time. For example, let's say you use only "buy/sell next bar at market" type orders in your strategy. If you include proper amounts for slippage (say 2x the normal bid/ask spread per round turn), your backtest results and live results will match up pretty well. This was the only way I did it for years.

As you start to get confidence that backtest and live are equal with simple orders, you can then begin to use more complicated orders. Then you can run limited tests with real money, and usually you will see pretty soon if there is a match (and if there isn't, a limited real money test won;t cost you a tone of money).

Good Luck!

Thanked by:
shanemcdonald28
new york

hi

Thank Kevin.

I do use market orders and try to stay with very liquid markets with tight spreads.

Thanks for the tips and help.
I see you are very helpful at the Tradestation forums also.

thanks

shane

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

shanemcdonald28 View Post
hi

Thank Kevin.

I do use market orders and try to stay with very liquid markets with tight spreads.

Thanks for the tips and help.
I see you are very helpful at the Tradestation forums also.

thanks

shane

Good to hear. Your results in SIM will then be a lot closer to reality. But I'd still be wary of the results.

I used to be more helpful at TS. I got beaten down by the paper trading trolls, so I don't post there much anymore. One troll actually shouted me down in a thread, only to apologize later via private PM. He wasn't man enough to apologize publicly. So, I post a lot more here, where things are civil.

shanemcdonald28
new york

" I got beaten down by the paper trading trolls "

That may be the funniest thing I ever heard !
My stomach hurts from laughing !

thanks

shane

Last Updated on October 12, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts