NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Bolt Trader Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one BoltTrader with 259 posts (486 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 14 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 KahunaDog with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Scalpingtrader with 5 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Tap In with 2.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two BoltTrader with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Scalpingtrader with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,738 views
    2. thumb_up 542 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 309 posts
    2. attach_file 185 attachments

Search this Thread

The Bolt Trader Journal

BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: MES, MNQ, M2K, MYM and MGC
Thanks Given: 2,481
Thanks Received: 831

I am entering the October Trading Journal Contest but NOT to win! Why? First, I am not ready for an account that size. I need to be profitable trading only a few contracts before I move up to trading 15 contracts. Second, I already am trading with TopStepTrader. My Combine Size is $50,000 with a max position size of 5 contracts. Third, I will miss about a week of trading during the month as I travel to Colorado and Wyoming. So, why enter you ask?

Good question! I am hoping that the process of keeping this journal here and being accountable to the community will help me to become a more disciplined trader. Basically, I am starting this journal here at futures.io (formerly BMT) to help reach my goal of becoming a consistently profitable day trader.

Recently, my trading has been lacking discipline and really stinks. In fact, I have almost blown my current Combine by being dangerously close to my max drawdown limit. As a result, I have lost confidence and have been losing the battle to fear. This has led to some bad habits such as hesitation and moving of stops. So, in an attempt to correct this I am setting some new goals and rules for myself.

First, try to dig myself out of this deep hole and save this Combine. Don’t even worry about getting funded. Second, trade only 1 product crude (CL). Next, focus on my entries. To help me do this I am reducing my catastrophic stop loss to -6 ticks. Fourth, for the next couple of months at least I am just striving for base hits. That’s right, no home runs, just singles. In fact, I am just going to be scalping between 5 & 10 ticks on every trade with a goal of plus 20-30 ticks a day. Fifth, NO trading more than 2 contracts until I have raised my confidence level and have a proven track record. Finally, always use an ATM strategy to enter a position. Targets will consist of +5, +8 or +10 ticks. The initial stop will be -6 ticks. The stop will automatically move at +4 ticks to -2 ticks from the entry price. In addition, the +10 Target ATM will move the stop one more time at +10 ticks to +5 ticks just in case the order does not fill.

Looking forward to the journey with you all!

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks
 BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Yesterday, I tried trading my live account exactly the way I intend to trade my Combine account. For the most part I did pretty good. I took most of the trade signals until I reached my goals. I was in the zone and focused. I know that the daily profit goal is small but as stated I am in a rebuilding mode right now. Not only did I have a good winning percentage but I also kept my average losses smaller than my average gains. The following stats are provided:

Product Traded: CL

Total # of Trades: 8
# of Winning Trades: 6
# of Losing Trades: 2
Percent Profitable: 75%

Gross Profit: $340.56
Gross Loss: $87.36
Commissions/Fees: $36.80
Net Profit: $253.20

Average Winner: $56.76
Average Loser: $43.68
Max Drawdown: $87.36

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Good start. Will be following along.

Good luck with it.

Bob.

Thanked by:
daddy
Budapest+Hungary

Thanks Given: 139
Thanks Received: 204

Hi BoltTrader,

It seems we're trading quite similar style, scalping the crude. Do you plan to post your setups? Just made me curious

BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

daddy View Post
Hi BoltTrader,

It seems we're trading quite similar style, scalping the crude. Do you plan to post your setups? Just made me curious

I will but for this week and part of next it will be hit and miss. For instance, I was gone today taking my wife to the Doctor across town and tomorrow I have to get the car ready to travel to Wyoming. Once I am back from Wyoming I will be able to be more consistent.

BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Well, I messed up last night. Placed a trade in the wee hours for fun wanting to see what would happen when I woke up. Only problem was that I thought I was placing the trade in my sim account and it turned out to be in my Combine. Of course, it didn't work out. I am under the gun and whereas I wasn't planning to trade the Combine today because of having little time in front of the computer, now I must.

I made one change on the Chart Trader Properties so this won't happen again. I changed the simulation color so that it is different from the Combine color. More importantly, I need to pay closer attention (especially during the early morning hours) to what I am doing.

I was able to place a scalp trade for +10 ticks around the CL opening. However, I missed 2 more setups as I was at the auto shop. I am hoping to get at least one or two more trades before I have to leave again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TST 10.7.14 Trade 1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	160366   Click image for larger version

Name:	TST Missed Setups 10.7.14.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	160367  
Thanked by:
 BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

I finally was able to take another scalp trade for +10. One more and I will call it for the day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TST 10.7.14 Trade 2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	160383  
 BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Bias: Short

Been in a Bear Flag Channel. Had setups at all 3 of my entry zones. Expecting price to break of out channel and move south but we will see. If it does first target is 89.06.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chart Update 10.7.14.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	160394  
Thanked by:
 BoltTrader 
Phoenix + AZ/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Everything did as expected. However, I was not able to execute due to long distance phone call. Bummer. Took pullback trade. Stopped to the tick. I should have checked my mid-term chart and I would have been fine with my entry being 1 tick before my original stop and trade would have worked out perfectly. Loss -6 ticks.

Next target: 88.81 to 88.76

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TST 10.7.14 Trade 3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	160398  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 7, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts